IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Two Voyager Uranus and Neptune questions
Paolo
post Oct 19 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

While researching for my book on solar system exploration two questions have surfaced:
1) In some articles the vidicon sensor of Voyager 2 was said to be 50 per cent more sensitive than that of its sister. Was it just by chance or were the better sensors actually mounted on the probe flying the JSUN trajectory?
2) At the time of the Neptune flyby the Goldstone DSN antenna was arrayed with the Very Large Array, Canberra was pooled with Usuda in Japan. Why wasn't Madrid arrayed with, for example, the Effelsberg radiotelescope in Germany? Was it because Neptune would be very low in the German sky at the time of encounter?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tasp
post Oct 20 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 162

My recollection of the camera sensitivity issue was that both tubes met specs, one was better though, and fortunately, it wound up on Voyager 2. IIRC, Bruce Murray might have mentioned that in his book. Might have been the Voyager Neptune Travel Guide, too.

I think you are correct about the dish arrays, IIRC, at least for the Uranus encounter, the closest approach and on board tape recorder playback occured when Voyager 2 was over Australia.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 21 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 321

FWIW, Voyager 2 was launched 16 days before Voyager 1, so the better equipment went up with the first craft launched.

Also, Voyager 1 had a contingency of visting Pluto, which was sacrificed in order to provide a better flyby of Titan. At the time of a putative flyby, though, Pluto was actually closer to the Sun than Neptune, so Neptune "deserved" the better optics more.

I'm not sure *when* the decision was made re: Titan/Pluto. I can't think of any reason why the decision needed to wait until after the craft had been launched, so I guess it was made before launch; anyone know for sure?

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.