10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Venera Images, VENERA 13 fully calibrated image
ilbasso
post Oct 5 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Wasn't there also the thought that there is sulfuric acid rain on Venus? What would that do to a spaceship that was sitting there for a couple of months?

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 5 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 385

How does the Venus has some kind of rain when the inside temperature is so hot that evaporates everything? There is nothing that can cool the atmosphere to make some rain?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 5 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #33

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Oct 5 2005, 09:11 PM)
How does the Venus has some kind of rain when the inside temperature is so hot that evaporates everything? There is nothing that can cool the atmosphere to make some rain?

Rodolfo

There is no sulfuric acid rain on the surface of Venus. There has been speculation that it exists in the upper levels of the atmosphere. But in none of those models does it come anywhere near the surface before evaporating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 5 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #34

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Oct 5 2005, 10:13 PM)
There is no sulfuric acid rain on the surface of Venus.  There has been speculation that it exists in the upper levels of the atmosphere.  But in none of those models does it come anywhere near the surface before evaporating.

And possiblyLead and Bismuth Sulphide snow on the mountain tops.

Ah yes - the ultimate in extreme skiing - hanging about on the top of Maxwell Montes, waiting for a fresh fall of galena powder on the southern piste. Peachy.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 8 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 172

(following item #19)
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=22733

smile.gif ...So, after verifying that there is also a 2-pixel shift visible on Venera 13 camera #2 images (between clear pans 1 and 2), I decided to apply my techniques building an hi-res Venera 13 color image from the data available.

I then built 2 different pancromatic pans : the 1st one from clear pan 1 (filling the gaps with green pan 1 and red 1 pan) and the 2nd one from clear pan 2 (filling the gaps with green pan 2 and red pan 2). Then I pixel-overlapped them to build an hi-res pancromatic pan. This one was then fused with the colors of the low-res picture (shown on item #1 : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...dpost&p=20445);

Here is the result : a gain of a 1.3-1.5 resolution over my previous color version.
I think it shows the maximum of details I can retrieve now from the V13 data.
Enjoy !
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 8 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Oct 8 2005, 12:08 PM)

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Oct 8 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 239

Lovely image!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Oct 9 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 103

Absolutely breathtaking! I'm amazed at the caliber of science that is represented on this site. You are all doing a tremendous service to all mankind by transcending international borders in your work. I'm honored and thrilled to be part of this forum!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Oct 9 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Oct 5 2005, 09:13 PM)
There is no sulfuric acid rain on the surface of Venus.  There has been speculation that it exists in the upper levels of the atmosphere.  But in none of those models does it come anywhere near the surface before evaporating.

It's more than "speculation"; it's been known fact for three decades. Venus' clouds are a mist of sulfuric acid, produced by the fact that the traces of sulfur dioxide dumped into its air by its still-actve volcanoes rise high into the atmosphere and are converted by solar UV into sulfur trioxide, which in turn reacts very readily with the remaining tracres of water vapor to form an H2SO4 cloud layer at the 64 to 46 km level. (This is the same process that created such large amounts of H2SO4 on early Mars, which as we now know has had a radical effect on its surface mineralogy.)

But:

(1) As one might expect, given the tiny trace amounts of the gases out of which they form, Venus' clouds are actually very rarified -- you could see through them for kilometers with little blurring. They are opaque to visible light as seen from above (or below) simply because the layer is so spatially thick (as is also the case with Titan's organic smog).

(2) Pioneer 13's biggest entry probe carried a cloud particle-size spectrometer which worked fine -- but detected not a single, solitary particle in Venus' air from 30 km altitude down to the surface.

(3) There are obviously other substances mixed in with the H2SO4 in Venus' clouds, whose identifies we do not know well, and which are subjects of major scientific interest. In particular, there's the stuff that makes so many regions of Venus' clouds look dark in UV photos -- we actually still do not know what this UV absorber is, although the favored theories revolve around its being one of several sulfur compounds. Then there's the possible detection by several of the Soviet landers of small amounts of other elements (Cl, P, and I think Fe) in the clouds, although given the accuracy of Soviet science instruments this is open to question. Finally, that same cloud particle-size spectrometer on Pioneer 13 located what seems to be a small separate population of cloud particles which are considerably larger than the other liquid acid droplets -- and may possibly be nonspherical solid crystals of something.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 11 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #40

I have found useful information about the Venera's design spacecraft. Visit Venera's URL

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 22 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 172

(Thanks to all for your great contributions about atmospheric science !)

...and (following post 35), I decided to make an acknowledgement to the fantastic art work of Don Davis, by quickly correcting the perspective of the Venera 13 panorama, following his "Venera Grid" made in 1987.
Here is the Venera 13 "Daviscape" !
biggrin.gif Enjoy !
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 8 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #42

Here is an attempt to do similar processing with a Venera 14 scan. This image has much poorer quality raw data, but, visually, it is my favorite of the Venera shots.

And here is a version with the spacecraft removed from the forground using cloning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 8 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #43

Guests

Superb work on those 1982 Venera color panoramas!

Also great to see that Viking ITEK camera image again. When You look carefully You can see the late Dr Carl Sagan twice in that photo and Dr Thomas Mutch five times kneeling in front of the group ... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 9 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 8 2006, 04:02 PM)
Superb work on those 1982 Venera color panoramas!

Also great to see that Viking ITEK camera image again. When You look carefully You can see the late Dr Carl Sagan twice in that photo and Dr Thomas Mutch five times kneeling in front of the group ...  ohmy.gif

Thanks, but actually, I posted the wrong images. These are much better...

--------------------

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jan 9 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #45

Very different type of terrain. Mainly rocky, no sand or silica dust. No water erosion signs. Interesting.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.