5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tianwen-1- Development, China's 2020 Mission
Paolo
post Jun 17 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

lots of papers on Mars exploration in the latest issue of the Chinese Journal of Deep Space Exploration (in Chinese, of course)
http://jdse.bit.edu.cn/sktcxben/ch/reader/...mp;quarter_id=2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
colin_wilson
post Aug 24 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4329

Hi - A few news outlets are carrying stories about the 2020 Chinese Mars rover.
This one talks about "13 payloads" - http://www.scmp.com/news/china/policies-po...ed-mission-mars
From the article:
The probe will carry 13 payloads including a remote sensing camera and a ground penetrating radar which can be used to study the soil, environment and atmosphere of Mars.
It can also study the distribution of water and ice and the planet’s inner structure.

Does anyone have more information, or links to public documents about what these payloads are?

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Aug 24 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 624

Nothing concrete on the experiment package that I could find. I'm wondering if the lander will act as a stationary laboratory, or at least photograph the rover.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 25 2016, 01:02 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 5221

Interesting that the egress is the same as the lunar rovers (two thin rails like a ramp). They look so fragile! Though to be fair so do airbags and skycranes until one sees them in operation.
I do like the 'wings' in the style of MER, aesthetics is always helped by symmetry....

+Quote Post
bobik
post Jun 28 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 6732

Candidate Landing Sites mars.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 24 2020, 03:19 AM
Post #36

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Is this the only thread we have on this mission? Time for an update. Launch in July, and now a name.

From a thread on the 9ifly forum:

http://www.9ifly.cn/thread-93048-6-1.html

-------------------
China News Network
2 minutes ago from Weibo weibo.com
[Scheduled! # China ’s first Mars exploration mission named Tianwenyihao #] April 24 is the fifth “Chinese Space Day”, the name of China ’s first Mars exploration mission and the mission logo will be launched at the 2020 China Space Day Announced on. The Chinese planetary exploration mission was named "Tianwen" series, the first Mars exploration mission was named "Tianwen-1", and the subsequent planetary missions were numbered sequentially. According to reports, the name is derived from Qu Yuan ’s long poem "Questions of Heaven"*, which expresses the tenacity and perseverance of the Chinese nation in the pursuit of truth, and embodies the cultural inheritance of the exploration of nature and cosmic space. Endless. The mission logo symbolizing "Lan Xing Jiutian" shows the image of the unique letter "C", which brings together the multiple meanings of China's planetary exploration (China), international cooperation spirit (Cooperation), and the ability of deep space exploration into space (C3). Demonstrated the concept and attitude of China's open space cooperation. (People's Daily Client)

* or 'To ask the Heavens'

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 25 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #37

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Topic renamed to reflect mission name. Thanks, Phil! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Xerxes
post Apr 25 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 4097

-yihao is just how you pronounce -1 in Chinese. The written form of the mission name should be Tianwen-1.

Noted. Title changed. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 20 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #39

Assuming we have a successful landing, I will be monitoring surface activities as usual in a map thread.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Jul 22 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 624

I've been unable to find if the lander will be active after rover deployment. Even Andrew Jones tweeted me saying he hasn't heard of anything. I'd suspect they'd want to keep it active for a few days at least to photograph the rover. Have any of you heard otherwise?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 22 2020, 11:58 PM
Post #41

As far as I can tell from images of the lander, there is no camera like the Terrain Camera on Chang'e 3 and 4. At most there might be small monitoring cameras which the lunar landers carried to show rover egress. It's not clear to me that there is any power on the lander after landing, at least after any batteries are exhausted. I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that the lander is powered by the orbiter during cruise and orbit, and probably lands under battery power, and then it's done.

What we may see, then, would be one or more monitoring camera shots or videos of egress, preceded by a panorama from the rover camera and followed by a look back from the rover, but then nothing from the lander.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jul 23 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 22 2020, 03:58 PM) *
As far as I can tell from images of the lander, there is no camera like the Terrain Camera on Chang'e 3 and 4. At most there might be small monitoring cameras which the lunar landers carried to show rover egress. It's not clear to me that there is any power on the lander after landing, at least after any batteries are exhausted. I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that the lander is powered by the orbiter during cruise and orbit, and probably lands under battery power, and then it's done.

What we may see, then, would be one or more monitoring camera shots or videos of egress, preceded by a panorama from the rover camera and followed by a look back from the rover, but then nothing from the lander.

Phil

I've interpreted no solar panels on the lander in the images as it's mission is over after it lands and deploys the ramps. There may be a power cable from the rover to the lander to allow some functions after the landing, but once the rover moves away...

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 24 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 4824

Searching Alan Boyle's twitter posts I chanced upon a post by Thomas Schumann. At the EPSC-DPS 2019 Joint Meeting the late Dr. Wei Yan gave a presentation about China's first Mars mission. One of the slides clearly shows two landing sites in Utopia Planitia. Thomas also says "As far as I've understood, the Chinese will evaluate final landing sites once in orbit."

Here is a Google Mars globe with the CTX map made available by Google (see the side bar for how to enable the CTX global map) and those two areas marked, and a closer view that shows Area A has very little coverage. However, Google has not mapped every CTX image, so other images may be available (as well as from the HiRISE camera).

Attached Image
Attached Image

This is the kmz file I used to mark the areas. Attached File  Tianwen_1_CandidateLandingAreas.kmz ( 876bytes ) Number of downloads: 563

Fernando

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 24 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #44

The slide with those landing sites shows two boxes and two sets of coordinates. They don't match up exactly. It's not clear which is correct. Most likely the written coordinates are correct and the drawn boxes were only approximate.

CTX now has essentially global coverage.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Jul 24 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4824

Thank you Phil. Do keep me honest!

The boxes from my kmz are drawn with the coordinates, themselves marked as approximate, shown in the slide. The boxes seen in the slide appear to be smaller than the GE file ones.
GE's CTX map does not have complete coverage, it is obvious. I have come across many CTX images not included in GE's "CTX global map" while searching for polygonal ridges for a Zooniverse project. Glad you confirm CTX coverage is now nearly complete. Cheers

Fernando

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.