Reply to this topicStart new topic
Red Dragon
Paolo
post Aug 7 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

'Red Dragon' Mission Mulled as Cheap Search for Mars Life
any opinion on this? would it really make sense adapting a manned spaceship to unmanned Mars landing? I am skeptical...

if replying, please remember forum guideline 1.5
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Aug 7 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 279

...and 1.2, and 1.3!

I think the best thing we can say is that more affordable delivery costs are a great thing, and - if Musk's vision is as good as his demonstrations to date - then I suspect he'd get nothing but thumbs-up from all of us here.

Andy

+Quote Post
pospa
post Aug 7 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5979

Since payload capacity of Red Dragon to Mars surface would be couple of tons I see this concept quite suitable for MSR mission.
It could IMHO merge at least two separate missions: Sample Caching Rover and Sample Return Lander.
Don't you think?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 7 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (pospa @ Aug 7 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Since payload capacity of Red Dragon to Mars surface would be couple of tons I see this concept quite suitable for MSR mission.

Payload mass (i.e. launch vehicle performance) to Mars will be just one factor in MSR. A much bigger cost will be the actual spacecraft, as is usually the case. I don't see Red Dragon helping here. If a large mass is needed there, just using Falcon Heavy with a dedicated spacecraft would make more sense (coincidentally, MSR with one spacecraft was something Elon Musk suggested would be enabled by the Falcon Heavy).

This concept of using Dragon to land something on Mars is interesting but it does have drawbacks. A big chunk of the landed mass would be Dragon itself and its (for unmanned landers) unnecessary pressurized structure. It also remains to be seen if a Dragon could actually perform a successful EDL in the first place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Aug 8 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 590

Treating Dragon strictly as an unmanned vehicle, it's hard to see what it brings to the party. Unless they seriously thought they could easily adjust the design to let it land on Mars. But if it were that easy, would MSL being using the sky crane?

--Greg

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 8 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #6

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

My recollection from the earliest days of SpaceX has been that the Dragon has always been intended as a multi-use capsule for cargo, science payloads, and ultimately self-aware biological payloads. I'm not going to get into the myriad ways a constant like the Dragon can save costs, but in many ways it is like the common automobile chassis that many manufacturers have successful used on different vehicles over the years (especially trucks), or the standard motherboard and BUS arrangement of modern PCs that has allowed for an explosion of critical innovation around a reliable manufacturing platform. That the Dragon is being considered as a vessel for unmanned Mars missions should come as no surprise then, since the origins of Elon Musk's interest in space are rooted in a desire to explore Mars.

(Have I mentioned, that I really like this guy and what he's doing? rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 7 2011, 08:37 AM) *
A big chunk of the landed mass would be Dragon itself and its (for unmanned landers) unnecessary pressurized structure.

The point being, when the LV can lift so much weight - then you can get away with 'wasted' mass.

The thing we have the least of, is money. If a system like this gets instrumentation onto the ground at <$ than, say, 'traditional' spacecraft design and LV's.... then it's a win.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Aug 8 2011, 02:27 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 734

Full inline quote removed - ADMIN

No, the capsule is still a fixed size and it is a pressurized structure meant to contain personnel and loose cargo. It is ill suited to contain a rover or instrument suite such as Phoenix. All previous landers jettisoned their heat shield to expose the spacecraft, Dragon can't do this and if it could, it would expose a sealed vessel.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 8 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

The Viking landers and MSL wouldn't fit in it either so it must be a bad idea. Clearly Musk and all of his engineers have lost their minds. With that kind of thinking they'll never get any rocket off the ground.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #10

Founder

QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ Aug 7 2011, 06:27 PM) *
No, the capsule is still a fixed size and it is a pressurized structure meant to contain personnel and loose cargo. It is ill suited to contain a rover or instrument suite such as Phoenix. All previous landers jettisoned their heat shield to expose the spacecraft, Dragon can't do this and if it could, it would expose a sealed vessel.

You're thinking 'how would dragon deliver Phoenix'. That's not the goal here. It's a change in philosophy.

The actual question is - what science could you do with a Dragon on the surface.

One scientist, at least, clearly thinks there is plenty that can be done.

I can see massive potential for Dragon as depicted in that video - and even more with comparatively simple modifications to the vehicle structure.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Aug 8 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 7 2011, 11:20 PM) *
You're thinking 'how would dragon deliver Phoenix'.

No, I was thinking how Dragon could deliver Phoenix's instruments.
Scientists will compromise everything for a free ride.
There are no simple mods to the structure. Look at the recovered Dragon, the only place for instruments is in the interior. They would have extend through the two hatches.

Any other mods and it is not a Dragon anymore.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #12

Founder

QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ Aug 8 2011, 09:37 AM) *
No, I was thinking how Dragon could deliver Phoenix's instruments.

Again - still the wrong mind set.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Aug 8 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 8 2011, 01:55 PM) *
Again - still the wrong mind set.

Huh? So the "right mind set" is not to deliver instruments and just land a Dragon capsule.

Ok, I will go back to lurking and let the spacecraft "experts" state their "qualified" opinions based on their experience this field.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #14

Founder

QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ Aug 8 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Huh? So the "right mind set" is not to deliver instruments and just land a Dragon capsule.

Very very obviously, that is NOT the point I was making. You really are very very determined to start an argument rather than have a discussion, aren't you.

Ok, I will go back to lurking

Please do.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Aug 8 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5458

Just out of curiosity, are there any obvious applications of the Dragon module? I can envision some instruments getting deployed through the hatch in some manner. I'm having trouble thinking of any other method of delivering instruments with the craft without serious modification though. Also, very large parachutes will be necessary to slow the craft; is there anything in the works for a booster module to help slow during decent? I really like this idea and I think it shows, if not just for good PR from the science community, an actual interest from SpaceX in delivering more than just people to space.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.