Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stardust
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 15 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #121

Guests

Any pictures of it in the lab yet? I want to see them crack it open and a Facehugger comes shooting out and gets one of the techs laugh.gif

In reality though I hope they find some complex organic molecules in the coming months, hope such volatile material did not vaporize out of the air-o-gel on impact.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #122

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

It was a c0n5piracy! The re-entry vehicle landed, 'by accident', in the only cr0p c1rcle for three States...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stardust.../capsule-1.html

Which is why ElkGroveDan missed the show - it was, er, planned that way.

On a serious note, at least he had a good cigar!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 15 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 239

They opened the capsule... ...and not a can of Japanese energy drink in sight! Not even Sterno and aspirin...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stardust...leanroom-2.html

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 15 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #124

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 15 2006, 08:17 PM)
It was a c0n5piracy!  The re-entry vehicle landed, 'by accident', in the only cr0p c1rcle for three States...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stardust.../capsule-1.html

Which is why ElkGroveDan missed the show - it was, er, planned that way.

NoNoNo - look at how the pattern was formed by the capsule backshell!

All these chr0p c1rcles are obviously covert landing sites for sample return missions. I demand that the UK authorities comes clean about the dozens of successful sample return missions they have carried out and kept secret.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 15 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jan 15 2006, 09:37 AM)
There is no question that I was observing the correct part of the sky at the correct time.  If anyone has any guesses as to what happened I'd be interested. 

Sounds like you were viewing from below the entry path, so if there was any inaccuracy in how the track was reported, the difference in sky position would have been huge.

I saw it from San Francisco, and it was much lower than I expected it (via my own calculations). But I had no trouble spotting it, even against the intense glare of city lights. Because I was so much farther away, a modest discrepancy in position would have made less difference in where to look.

It was right on time. I went to my deck less than two minutes before the time, and there was no time discrepancy. It was moving *fast*, so if you weren't looking in the right place, it could have easily been behind the back of your head and finishing it's streak before you scanned for it. I'd say I had 30 seconds before it vanished into the light pollution over Oakland.

A pity I didn't video it -- the backdrop of skyscrapers and the Bay Bridge and that little streaking light could have been nice.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 15 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #126

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jan 15 2006, 10:37 AM)
Well, well well.......................

Got to my chosen location about an hour early (which was an hour later than I really wanted).

Drove about 5 miles farther north into the Mountains.  Found a most awesome site on the slopes overlooking an arm of Shasta Lake with a wide open view of the heavens.

Perfectly clear skies.  Bone chilling cold (probably 20F).

Set up the analog video and tripod, carefully focused to infinity and aimed it on the begining of the predicted trajectory and set the lens for a wide angle view.

Set up the digital video, aimed it at the departing end of the trajectory.

Set up a small digital still and set it to fire off rapid fire stills until the card was full, and aimed it at the midpoint of the predicted trajectory.

Loaded up the SLR with 1600 speed film.  Set for manual exposure 1/60 sec, f4.5 and slung it over my shoulder.

15 minutes before estimated time, started both videos, poised next to digital still with left hand on shutter and SLR in right hand.

Friend with GPS monitor begins calling off time 15 minutes out.

10 minutes out a train comes thundering through a nearby tunnel.....

waited

waited

about 5 minutes before the scheduled time a small yellowish streak briefly flashes through the target zone...

That wasn't it! I yell to my friend, over the roar of the train....

waited....

waited...

and nothing more...... blink.gif

So now I feel like a complete fool.

There is no question that I was observing the correct part of the sky at the correct time.  If anyone has any guesses as to what happened I'd be interested. 

$50 in gas and a night's sleep (shakes head in disgust) mad.gif 

At least the cigar was good.  smile.gif

Really sorry to hear this, Dan...we were pulling for you! sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Jan 15 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (exobioquest @ Jan 15 2006, 12:39 PM)
Any pictures of it in the lab yet? I want to see them crack it open and a Facehugger comes shooting out and gets one of the techs  laugh.gif

In reality though I hope they find some complex organic molecules in the coming months, hope such volatile material did not vaporize out of the air-o-gel on impact.

Seeing that reentry capsule on the ground with all the guys around it in heavy coats (looking like hazmat suits), it reminded me of the Andromeda Strain.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jan 15 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 114

Has it been opened yet?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 15 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #129

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They'll just take off the backshell and get the sample canister out at the range - then send that on over to TX for proper opening and analysis. THAT should happen Thursday I understand.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 16 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 15 2006, 09:16 PM)
Really sorry to hear this, Dan...we were pulling for you! sad.gif
I've been known to take long drives for far more arcane reasons. And as we already discussed, I did get to enjoy an entire good cigar.

I should have brought some Lipovitan - D though. The coffee and espresso beans just weren't doing the trick.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 16 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #131

Guests

QUOTE (RedSky @ Jan 15 2006, 04:06 PM)
Seeing that reentry capsule on the ground with all the guys around it in heavy coats (looking like hazmat suits), it reminded me of the Andromeda Strain.

Well the biochemistry of andromeda strain is very SF and would require new physics to make possible, but it has been postulated that bacterial spores can survive travel through space for extensive time, completely unshielded! But it gets better: some models show that such spores could enter the atmosphere without producing enough friction to kill them, so if there is life being spewed out by comets they have been landing on earth by there own means… and there are even some nuts that have correlated every plague in history with meteor showers! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 16 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #132

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Glad that the stogie was at least worth it, Dan! biggrin.gif

Exobioquest, do you remember Sir Fred Hoyle's theories concerning comets & viruses? Too bad he died in 2001; I'm sure that he was hoping to see Stardust's results more than anyone else. sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 16 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 124

ElkGroveDan, as someone who has convinced friends to make a long drive in order to freeze during a poor Perseid showing, I can sympathize... but then maybe you did your karmic duty by channeling bad luck away from the spacecraft, like a lightning rod, keeping it safe. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 16 2006, 02:19 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (lyford @ Jan 16 2006, 01:50 AM)
ElkGroveDan, as someone who has convinced friends to make a long drive in order to freeze during a poor Perseid showing, I can sympathize...  but then maybe you did your karmic duty by channeling bad luck away from the spacecraft, like a lightning rod, keeping it safe.  biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Anything for the greater cause.

Man it was cold. I've lived in places like Montreal, Canada and Bozeman, Montana over the years, so I really know cold, but somehow that mere 20 degree (-6) crisp air just ate through to my bones. Probably my advanced age is causing it. Going to be 45 soon.

I'll try and capture the audio stream from one of those video cameras for laughs as my friend Tom and I can be heard mulling over the circumstances.

(By the way, from Ventura, if you want a great location for Perseid viewing I'd suggest taking Hwy 26 out to I-5 and pulling off high atop the Tehachapis bnefore Gorman onto the Old Sierra Highway and finding a place out of view of the freeway. Another choice is to take camping gear to Palm Springs, ride the tram to the top of Mt. San Jacinto, get a wilderness permit at the ranger station and hike up the mountain a ways to a nice meadow with open skies. It'll blow your mind.)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jan 16 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #135

Member No.: 385

Caray, that is a misfortune. It is a headache with the Stardust's changing trayectories plans. Was the trayectory a bit northern than the pronosticated? So you are going to celebrate soon your birthday in Hawai with warmer waters to unfrozeen your bones.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.