Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter Quarters, at Low Ridge Haven
RNeuhaus
post Apr 17 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

QUOTE (sattrackpro @ Apr 17 2006, 08:00 AM) *
"[i]We have to use care choosing the type of terrain we drive over," Dr. Ashitey Trebi-Ollennu, a rover planner at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., said about the challenge of five-wheel driving. In tests at JPL, the team has been practicing a maneuver to gain additional tilt by perching the left-front wheel on a basketball-size rock.

That is very good news. The problem can be solved by small steps toward the desired destination. It was what I was thinking in my recent previous post! biggrin.gif

Rodolfo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Apr 17 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 365

At least this low ridge has a lot of interesting things for Spirit to look at. And it seems to be closely associated with Home Plate so what she discovers here will undoubtedly tell a lot about that feature. Had she made it to the side of McCool Hill I am not sure we would have had as rich a target environment (for a -very- slow moving rover now).

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Apr 17 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Burmese @ Apr 17 2006, 12:19 PM) *
Had she made it to the side of McCool Hill I am not sure we would have had as rich a target environment (for a -very- slow moving rover now).

During this fall and winter. It would be impossible for Spirit to catch the spoted places (korolev or Faget places) where are Spirit would be able to survive with the minimum energy buildup. From where Spirit is to these spot would not be able to advance as long as the battery is depleted. The problem is that the Spirit range autonomy has reduced much with one of the stuck wheels and low solar energy. Maybe, after spring, with dust devils to clean its solar panels and plus much solar energy, Spirit would be able to advance slowly toward to McCool Hill.

However, many people from JPL has felt that they need more time to study around HP so it is most probably that Spirit won't go to McCool Hill but back to HP. That is 20% effort and 80% science philosophy.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 17 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #34

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Apr 17 2006, 07:38 PM) *
with dust devils to clean its solar panels

OK, now I KNOW you're having a laugh....

smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
slinted
post Apr 17 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #35

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

A solid cleaning event would be nice, but Spirit probably has a long wait in store until the next one. The first, and I believe the most significant, cleaning event was on Sol 420, one sol before the first dust devils were spotted. That was LS 173, and we've got until January 26 of 2007 before that time of year will roll around again.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Apr 17 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 17 2006, 04:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Doug

My previous post I was saying that the Dust Devil will start to phantom on Gusev Crater in the next spring. Luckly, it would hit on Spirit. I remember that I saw a picture with one big DD roaring on the south basin of Columbia Hill. But, now, the weather is becoming cooler and cooler, that the DD won't be able to appear unless the breeze might happen in some time.

As I remember that there is another cleaning dust method. This has happened to Oppy when it was roving inside the Endurance crater. One martian early morning, the panel solar was covered by a very thin film of ice during the sunrise, later, the panel solar became clean due to the water cleaning. It might happen the same to Spirit during the early winter morning. smile.gif Isn't that a bad news?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Apr 17 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 17 2006, 05:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Doug

We're all going to say this soon, until you completely lose it. We'll see you outside of Bill Harris' house one day at his 1/4 scale MER model, with a mini tornado generator machine, screaming "dust devils don't clean solar panels!!! BAHAHAHAAA!!!!!"
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Apr 18 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 618

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Apr 17 2006, 01:28 PM) *
"dust devils don't clean solar panels!!! BAHAHAHAAA!!!!!"
smile.gif

O.K. Let's keep the discussion at UMSF fair, considered and scientific whereever possible. To whit, dust devils are not known to have caused any MER panel cleaning events to date. Other forms of wind gusts that can occur at night are most likely responsible - why don't we give them a name, say, "gust angels". Pray for gust angels at Low Ridge Haven, but don't spurn a wayward DD that might show up instead. Since DDs vacuum up dust from the surface of Mars, they might well be capable of doing the same for Spirit. Angels or devils, it's the effect we need! cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Apr 18 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 17 2006, 09:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Doug

What I would like to see now is one of USTRAX's famous posters. An ad for the Martian Dust Devils cleaning service seems to be in order. laugh.gif

David

+Quote Post
bergadder
post Apr 18 2006, 03:53 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 432

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 17 2006, 05:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Doug

I know where the filters can be obtained: tongue.gif
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/vacuu...nds/dust-devil/

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Apr 18 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #41

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I like the look of this for the coming sol pancam.gif :

CODE
814 p2280.05 52  0   0   52  0   104  pancam_McMudro_pan_col_1_L234567Rall

The first column of a pan in all filters smile.gif (I would assume a 360 smile.gif )

Not only that, but with 52 images that means it's going to be 4 frames high! smile.gif smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 18 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #42

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'll get Helen to take a picture of me infront of some posters I'm putting up at the BAA conference this weekend, then someone can annotate appropriately smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Apr 18 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 112

Some wishful thinking dd.gif smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nix
post Apr 18 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #44

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Apr 18 2006, 06:37 AM) *
Not only that, but with 52 images that means it's going to be 4 frames high! smile.gif smile.gif
James

Looking forward to that one! smile.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 18 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #45

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

If they keep this pace of one row a day (let's hope not), it means a little less then one month to finish the 360º panorama.
I'm wondering if the atmosphere would be stable enough during all this time, otherwise we would have similar problems as on previous panoramas (Everest?) trying to match frames taken on different sols under different illumination conditions. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.