Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Spirit Reprojected Drive Movies
mhoward
post Jul 8 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

More experimentation...

This is a Navcam drive movie of Spirit sites 128 and 129... that's from Low Ridge Haven, back up Silica Valley up to about sol 1223. Again, YouTube's 320x240 resolution is not ideal here, but you can sort of get the idea.

You'll note this is in a different style from my earlier Victoria movie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 8 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

I composed a music track for another Spirit drive movie here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=4994769

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 8 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 174

Is there some way to *DOWNLOAD* and save these?

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jul 8 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 133

Yes there is smile.gif
  • Watch the video through the link brellis provided
  • Let it run until the progress bar indicates it has been downloaded 100%
  • Go to c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
  • Sort on the "Last Accessed" column
  • There should be a .flv file with a 5523KB size. It's named "1676002360.flv" in my case
  • Copy it to your favorite spot
  • Play with VLC player or similar
If you're after the YouTube video there should be a file named "get_video?video_id=<video_id>". In this case <video_id> would be "cy7H1uMdrTQ". Just copy this file and rename it to "something.flv".

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
um3k
post Jul 8 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 372

Have you considered uploading to Google video? Downloading from there is easy, and the quality is pretty decent.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 8 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 124

Nice work, brellis!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
tfisher
post Jul 8 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 421

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 8 2007, 12:25 AM) *
You'll note this is in a different style from my earlier Victoria movie.

Very nice! I do think this new style is an improvement -- the continual panning in the Victoria movie was more distracting and sea-sickening than this stop-pan-restart approach. I am continually amazed at the quality of the work you're doing, to put us right there in the rover's position. Thanks again!

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 8 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1700

thanks for the props, lyford!

I'm at a *remote location* right now cool.gif , but when I get back into work I'll look into a Google upload. I'm also participating in a community DVD project with some fellow space.com members, many of whom have been lurking here like moi. We have a preview uploaded here:

http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/sdcdvdproject

Sorry, I haven't figgered out how to use the posting formats

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 8 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #9

@&#$*@&!

I have been working on my own on a project just like this as well... unsure.gif You folks have down some great work there!

I have had all my music gear in boxes the last 2 months due to a major move - I haven't been able to work on anything for a while.

I had posted 2 compositions already to this forum a while back but there are quite a few others that are in progress.

This weekend I have finally started unpacking, and you have lit a fire under my behind inspired me to dust off those aiff files. smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
phase4
post Jul 9 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1584

mhoward... wow, wow, wow, i love your artwork.
hope to see more rover passages like this. thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jul 10 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #11

The Insider

Member No.: 73

This is really great work, mhoward. The panning works very good, and it's easy get a sense of direction and motion when the rover is moving.

To think that you built the software from scratch as well -- that's just awesome!

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 11 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #12

Thanks for the comments. Here's a new one, starting at Home Plate. I've slowed the movement down by about half.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 11 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #13

Since my hard drive is full again, I have grown dependent upon your movies... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 12 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #14

Ah, at last I found a free file hosting site. For those interested, the full-resolution version of the aforementioned movie can be downloaded here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g3y5dw. It's QuickTime, 90Mb.

+Quote Post
Gray
post Jul 14 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 34

These really are outstanding compilations of the images. They do require some concentration. The slower speed works better for me in that I'm able to better follow in my mind the movement of the rover (or the cameras, I guess).

There is one type of motion in this movie that to me is a little bit disorienting. In several instances it appears as if there is a single image on one side of the 'screen' which then moves across to the other side of the screen. It doesn't appear to be a pan, because the objects in the image do not change. I think it's just a move that has to be made to allow images to be properly positioned on the screen.

I guess the reason it is disorienting to me is that it represents a type of motion that is hard for my brain to process.

One type of motion is the pan: I imagine that as either the camera or the entire rover spinning around in place. A second type of motion is the progress of the rover. I imagine t his as looking out a window in the rover and watching the landscape move by.

But this other type of motion is as if the 'screen' were being shifted to the right or the left. I don't see this as a problem with the movie - it's more of a problem with my aging organic cpu. tongue.gif

Maybe someone has a technique I can use to trick my brain into visualizing that type of motion.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.