Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MER Magnets
PDP8E
post Jun 20 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

Here is a recent image of Opportunity's 'sweep magnet' located next to the Bill Nye's sundial
This magnet has a powerful circular field and a center with no field. In addition to what the magnet captures, non-magnetic particles that are found in the center would be an object of study. This color image was taken on Sol 2273. I had to tweak the colors up just a little since it seemed to be washed out.

Attached Image

Did you know that if some one shows you a random picture of either sundial from Spirit or Opportunity you can instantly tell which is which?

Attached Image
Attached Image

Look at the orientation of the sweep magnets.

(EDIT: or as others have pointed out: the bent wire around spirit's base )

Cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 20 2010, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Jun 19 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Did you know that if some one shows you a random picture of either sundial from Spirit or Opportunity you can instantly tell which is which?

I've looked at every single MER image taken from Sol 1 to present sol - and I've NEVER noticed that. Good catch. I never ever stop learning stuff from this place.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 20 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

No kidding it's a good catch! blink.gif

Man, just goes to show you: No two spacecraft are ever completely alike.

This is sort of a puzzling difference, though. I can't imagine what the reason for it might be, intentional or otherwise.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jun 20 2010, 06:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 217

I used to go by the cable bent around the base of Spirits sundial,

Roy

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 20 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3988

I have noticed this, as well as the white ring that has warped up on Opportunity. I Just sent Jim Bell an email about these two differences along with this image I assembled in hopes of an explaination.

Attached File  MERAB_Caltarg_comp_L234567.tif ( 741.34K ) Number of downloads: 579

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 21 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3988

This is what Jim had to say about the sweep magnet:

There is no scientific reason why the capture magnets on the two rovers are oriented differently. Rather, it is simply a manifestation of very slight differences in the threading depth of the fasteners for the two magnets and very slight differences in the degree of torque that was applied by the technicians who installed them on the rovers. They just ended up getting secured at slightly different angles.

And his remark on the warped ring on the sundial:

Regarding the obvious "lip" on the Opportunity Pancam cal target's silicone RTV grayscale rings--we don't know why that has occurred. Again, however, there are slight differences between the way the adhesive was applied to the bottoms of the rings (the three rings are separate annuli of colored RTV), and of course as you note, there are differences in the temperature and humidity conditions between the two rover sites (Opportunity has gotten slightly warmer in the summertime than Spirit has, due to its more equatorial location). The rings don't appear (to me at least) to be falling off or delaminating, so perhaps it was a one-time or one-season event involving the loss of strength in the adhesive. Ultimately, who knows. Despite getting dusty (and cleaned, and dusty) and warped, the cal targets continue to be very important for the team for tactical-timescale calibration of Pancam multispectral images (and at a "cost" of only about 2.5% of the data volume on each rover, despite the tens of thousands of cal target images!).

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jun 22 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 162

It appears the rovers have lasted long enough to become Martian LDEFs.

There might be some relevant materials science to be done here for the benefit of subsequent missions. These missions just can't stop giving, can they!

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jun 22 2010, 04:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3511

QUOTE (tasp @ Jun 21 2010, 05:01 PM) *
... to become Martian LDEFs.

What are those, again ?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 22 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

LDEF= Long Duration Exposure Facility.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jun 24 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1241

..wasn't sure where to put this but it meshes with James Sorenson's info from Jim Bell and the observation that he rovers are also LDEFs now. It is an animation of the RTV warping process on Oppy's sundial.

I just noticed in this quicky that I left off the Sol numbers (!)
(the list I worked with are 565, 585, 594,600, 604, 607, 634, 657, 689, 713, 802, 918, 1500, 2273)

Attached Image

Cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jun 24 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 162

Thanks for that. Interesting to see the physical deterioration wrought by the alien environment with the magic of time lapse. Wish my car was holding up as well as the rovers (except for the seized wheel thing).

I wonder if the chlorides, sulfates, peroxides, and just plain old 'grit' are slowly chewing up the exposed 'innards' out of camera view?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 24 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

The grit...yeah, maybe, esp. any of that hyperfine sand around moving junctures. It could even chew up wire bundles that experience any sort of vibration or repetitive motion, though I don't think the MERs ever produce enough of that to make that a significant concern.

The sulfates, chlorides, etc....doubt they're doing anything nasty. Unless I'm completely wrong here, I think that those substances have to be in an aqueous solution to react with metals or other materials & there's certainly been no liquid water on either rover, not even morning dew, and what water vapor there is in the air is extremely sparse. (Don't think that the occasional frost would do much.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 24 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Internals? Doubt it. A bit of a polish to the exterior of the camera? Maybe. The wheels are certainly scuffed compared to what they were when new.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:42 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.