Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Daniel Maas animation of MERs, and other animation
paxdan
post May 10 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

We've all seen the excellent work Daniel Maas has done in animating the MERs and other missions. This link is to a video of the MER Lauch, Cruise, EDL and surface operation we are familar with, however, it is set to Sunspot by NIN. The music syncs up very well and it is well worth a viewing on that basis alone.

I am posting a new topic because i couldn't find a thread dedicated to the work of Maas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toma B
post May 10 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 384

I "heard" something about Daniel Maas working on MSL mission animation...which would be great!!!
Can anyone confirm this? huh.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 10 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - I know that he started with the Mars 2001 animation, which then moved on into the very early MER animation, and thereafter the MER animation we know now.

Then, he did the Contour animation, I'm fairly sure the Deep Impact animation is his ( it has his style certainly ), and the Phoenix Animation is obviously going to be derived from the old Mars '01 animation sequence and rushes of that are at the Phoenix website

However - I've not heard anything about an MSL animation yet.

I've swopped a few emails with Dan in the past, not only is he an animation genius, he's also a damn nice chap as well!

Doug

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 10 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Indeed he did do the Deep Impact animation.

I was told that in addition to being a nice guy he also gives an excellent public talk -- I missed his talk at ISDC because I was at OPAG, but people said he was really good.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 11 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #5

Founder

I have a DVD somewhere ( one of those obscure DVD's you think's going to be rubbish but has some nice footage on it ) , Eye's on Mars I think, I'll double check - and he does an lovely description of how they went about the animation - cracking stuff. And of course, he did the power-tool spoof animation of the rat getting stuck and the rover spinning round throwing off a wheel smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
paxdan
post May 11 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 221

Here is a link to his home page: MAASDIGITAL

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 11 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #7

Founder

I've just remembered - I saw an odd animation that looked like the 2001 animation he did, but it deployed little flying bots that went off and collected samples - I can't find it anymore, but it was very interesting.

You know - I don't think it's an exageration to say that without Dan's earliest animation of MER ( with the round-edges solar arrays ) - MER might never have happened and we might have had MRO in '03 and something else in '05 - I honestly think that bit of animation was just enough to get the senior NASA management and politicians to go "we can do that? COOL....let's build one"

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post May 11 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 174

Maas gave an extended presentation last week at the ISDC (which is where I was for about 10 days of vacation, including pre-and-post-trip-going-crazy).

He showed clips from his work on the rover IMAX film, and considerable detail on how he constructed ultra-detailed-uber-geek-quality models of the rovers down to wire bundles and wire ties, then combined them with rover EDL telemetry and flight reconstructions to show the real landings, plus how he did the work to make the graphics of Endurance crater and the like.

I never saw (I don't recall seeing) a CONTOUR animation, but think I've seen an animation he's done for Phoenix comparable and very similar to the MER program-development animation.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 11 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #9

Founder

Rushes of the Phoenix anim are here
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/multimedia/videos/

I can't find the Contour animation online anywhere and it took me forever to find the 2001 animation!

Doug

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 11 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 10 2006, 05:06 PM) *
Indeed he did do the Deep Impact animation.

I was told that in addition to being a nice guy he also gives an excellent public talk -- I missed his talk at ISDC because I was at OPAG, but people said he was really good.

--Emily

Here is a Cornell news page with DI stills and the video he made:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/June05/DanMaas.lxg.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 11 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (djellison @ May 11 2006, 07:30 AM) *
Rushes of the Phoenix anim are here
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/multimedia/videos/

I can't find the Contour animation online anywhere and it took me forever to find the 2001 animation!

Doug

Did you actually ever see the Contour animation? I could not find it, either:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/boom/2001sp/maas...-%20CONTOUR.htm

It was interesting and ironic to see that if Contour had survived, it would
have been flying by the very comet that is now totally coming apart at the
seams on June 18, 2006:

http://sco.stsci.edu/contour/PDF/02-0381b.pdf

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 12 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #12

Guests

smile.gif Thanks for pointing out that .pdf link ljk4-1 smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 12 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #13

Founder

I can't find the Contour animation now - really annoying, it was lovely smile.gif

Someone has Contour Frags A, B and C in Celestia - I think you would be suprised just how far apart 73P and the Contour fragments are...the burn that 'killed' Contour didn't actually complete as I understand it, and there would be a lot of TCM's from then till the various encounters, so whilst I'm not certain, I'd be fairly confident that actually, the three Contour frags are quite some distance from 73P

Doug

+Quote Post
karolp
post May 22 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 744

QUOTE (djellison @ May 12 2006, 10:51 AM) *
I can't find the Contour animation now - really annoying, it was lovely smile.gif

http://sco.stsci.edu/contour/news3.html

This mirror at stsci is the only place where it has survived. The official homepage was to be redesigned but they simply deleted it later on:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.contour2002.org

There were rumours about a CONTOUR 2 follow-up but that never happened either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 22 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #15

Founder

Ahh - thanks for finding that....the launch sequence ( partially by virtue of being a dusk effect ) is much better than the MER one imho - I love it smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:19 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.