Attached File  Route_Map_Sol2326.kml ( 54.6K ) Number of downloads: 439
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 10 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #2792

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

I have a suggestion for the daily updates: recenter the mini-maps so there is enough area beyond the current position to guess where the next stop will be.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 10 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #2793

Member No.: 152

Maybe it'd be easier for anyone who wants to predict the next stop, to do that using Parker's official route maps, which are at higher resolution, or other higher resolution orbital images that have been posted?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 10 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #2794

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Ever since Eduardo began including the Google Mars kml, as well as the HIRISE overlays, that has really been the optimum way to get a good look at where we are, where we've been, and where we are going. Not sure why another image would be necessary.

Guess away ...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 10 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #2795

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (alan @ Aug 10 2010, 07:48 PM) *
I have a suggestion for the daily updates: recenter the mini-maps so there is enough area beyond the current position to guess where the next stop will be.

Let's have a try.
I'm usually keeping the "mini-maps" small (< 200x200pix) to avoid the automatic resizing done by the forum software, e.g. compare the last post (sol 2326) with the previous one. The problem is that with these 70m+ drives we loose a lot of context if the tiny image is centered on the last position because there's slightly more then a single drive on the picture. I can try making these pictures a little bit bigger (e.g. 400x200) but not too much since I don't want to be posting "big" (100KB+) attachments every day.

Of course, I'm speaking about the map@1m/pix. If anybody wants a higher resolution picture the answer already is on the two previous posts. smile.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 11 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #2796

Oh well, I guess I'm the only one who thinks where we are going next is the more interest context than where we were. Surprising, because I don't remember anyone fighting over for the rear facing seats of the station wagon when we took long family trips when I was a kid.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 11 2010, 07:10 AM
Post #2797

Member No.: 615

alan, I think that after 6.5 years of Tesh's maps keeping us in touch with the journey, they have served us well and provide the quick update for following the rover's course.
There are more detailed maps available of the 'road ahead' that he makes available now and again and as has been said before in this thread "it's fun to speculate what the next stop might be, but you can never second guess what might be just around the next corner for these vehicles". One thing I do is take the full map that he provides and then take each daily update and paste that onto the big version. Then I can following along and look ahead.
Of course you can always take a look at the now marvellously detailed maps on the Rover's own website or download the highest resolution maps from the HiRise website.

OK, so now let's settle down in the back seat again and let mom and dad get back to the driving. smile.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 11 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #2798

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Ok, here's the update corresponding to sol 2327. Let's see how is looks like...
Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image
Attached File  Route_Map_Sol2327.kml ( 54.97K ) Number of downloads: 382

To be fair, I like alan's idea but the visual result on the post is not good since you must open the attachment to really see the details. From the three thumbnails ("mini-maps") above, my choice is still the rightmost one. It is still possible to see the leftmost picture without the automatic resizing but it means I would have to host the thumbnails on a different site and that's definitely not an option.

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 11 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #2799

So what we have is a case of 1)looks like a route map, 2)shows the terrain visible in the in the drive direction mosaic, 3)is small enough to avoid resizing; pick any two. Oh well.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 11 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #2800

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I have no problem with having to enlarge the reduced version.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Aug 11 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #2801

Member No.: 4338

My choice is the one on the left, second choice the one in the middle. The additional context is useful for locating the area within the larger map posted at JPL, which is difficult with the one on the right.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 11 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #2802

Member No.: 117

I also vote for the one on the left. Nice to have a bit more context, and the one extra mouse click required is not a big deal. But it's fabulous any way you do it...

John

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 11 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #2803

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And ET gets a guilt-free pass for attachment size, so I vote for the 400x200 as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 11 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #2804

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I'm just piping up to say that I am in such a hurry when reading that I actually prefer not having to click to enlarge -- I just sort of scroll back and mentally mosaic the images to see where we've come from and figure I'll know where we're going when we've gone there. Which is to say I like what Tesh has been doing. But really what I like most of all is the fact that Tesh provides these maps in any form!!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
peter59
post Aug 11 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #2805

Member No.: 299

I vote for the 400x200 too, context is very useful.

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 185 186 187 188 189 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.