Reply to this topicStart new topic
Huygens News Thread, News as and when we find it
azstrummer
post Jan 14 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #46

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Ah man, wouldn't you know Sean O'Keefe would use a day like today to do some stumping for his boss and his "grand plan" for space. His speech on NASA TV, even though he touched on Huygens briefly, really rubs me the wrong way. It's like walking into someone's birthday party and announcing you're getting married.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jan 14 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 82

One of the questions during the ESA press conference was something like, "what effect will the apparent loss of Channel A have on the scientific results".

The answer given was that there should be very little effect, as the two channels were almost completely redundant. The sound dropped out for me right when the possible effects on the specific experiments were being discussed, but from what I heard, most of the experiments had their data completely duplicated on each of the two channels, while (one or two experiments) split the data between the two channels. One of those 'one or two' experiments would have been the Doppler Wind Experiment, but I don't know which--if any--other experiment may have lost data.

Bill

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 14 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #48

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Mongo @ Jan 14 2005, 11:20 AM)
One of the questions during the ESA press conference was something like, "what effect will the apparent loss of Channel A have on the scientific results".

The answer given was that there should be very little effect, as the two channels were almost completely redundant. The sound dropped out for me right when the possible effects on the specific experiments were being discussed, but from what I heard, most of the experiments had their data completely duplicated on each of the two channels, while (one or two experiments) split the data between the two channels. One of those 'one or two' experiments would have been the Doppler Wind Experiment, but I don't know which--if any--other experiment may have lost data.

Bill

DISR has half their images on Channel A and half on Channel B

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 14 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #49

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

The good news is that other than doppler wind data and half the images, everything else was in Channel B. So all data from the other instruments should be recovered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Jan 14 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 127

Ugh. This sounds bad for the DISR images.

How is the data interwoven between the channels? We we lose whole shots, will there be missing patches within shots, or will the image be or lower resolution?

+Quote Post
trev
post Jan 14 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 144

During the entire descent, Huygens will capture and relay to Cassini 1100 images...... so 550 is not bad, i dont know if its the first 550 or last 550 wich may have been lost???....hopefully we still get the full descent... wink.gif

http://www.planetary.org/saturn/huygens_mission.html

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 14 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (gpurcell @ Jan 14 2005, 11:40 AM)
Ugh. This sounds bad for the DISR images.

How is the data interwoven between the channels? We we lose whole shots, will there be missing patches within shots, or will the image be or lower resolution?

Some panoramas are in Channel A, some are in channel B. So we will have whole panoramas, just half of those planned. At least that's my understanding after the status report telecon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 14 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (trev @ Jan 14 2005, 11:49 AM)
During the entire descent, Huygens will capture and relay to Cassini 1100 images...... so 550 is not bad, i dont know if its the first 550 or last 550 wich may have been lost???....hopefully we still get the full descent... wink.gif

http://www.planetary.org/saturn/huygens_mission.html

see, look on the bright side. The way I understand it, the panoramas are interwoven, as above, ABABABAB. We may have lost more high altitude panoramas than lower altitude panoramas. But it is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 14 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #54

The first pictures of Titan's surface will be released by ESA about 2:45 ET.

BTW, does anyone know the time that the Huygens signal was lost on Earth?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 14 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #55

Does anyone know how the DISR images are to be connected...e.g, will loosing half the data mean the loss of all data in one direction consistently throughout descent, or will it be more random.

Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 14 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #56

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Is the A-channel totally borked - is itt just a bit screwey and thus potential for recovery

Doug

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 14 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 14 2005, 12:30 PM)
Does anyone know how the DISR images are to be connected...e.g, will loosing half the data mean the loss of all data in one direction consistently throughout descent, or will it be more random.

Ted

The loss of one channel will mean they will lose entire panoramas, but other panoramas will reamin intact since they are entirely on Channel B.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 14 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #58

Yes, but do you mean 360 panoramas or shorter panoramas that will be assembled into mosaics?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 14 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #59

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Consider it like MER. As I see it - you'd have lost the Lion King panorama, and the Endureance Pan Point A Panorama, but the Mission Succes Panorama, the first Endurance Panorama and the Burns Cliff panorama are ok

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 14 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #60

Looks like channels!!!!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.