31 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn's first orbit, including RC3, March 6, 2015- June 15, 2015
pitcapuozzo
post Jun 10 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 7340

New image of the bright spots on June 6th, from 4400 km!

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images...tml?id=PIA19568
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jun 10 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #422

Member No.: 7310

Also in the release is, among other things, a nice mosaic of one of the two big craters in the southern hemisphere. These scratch marks north (?) of it have an interesting appearance:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jaro_in_Montreal
post Jun 10 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 6454

QUOTE (pitcapuozzo @ Jun 10 2015, 01:45 PM) *
New image of the bright spots on June 6th, from 4400 km!

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images...tml?id=PIA19568

With the image darkened a little, it looks as though some internal structure begins to appear in the white spots.....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 10 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #424

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Those look like compression artifacts to me. I think the "Spot 5" bright spots are still saturated in the released images.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 10 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #425

Member No.: 542

[Maybe the last few posts should be in a new thread?]

Does anyone know if there are plans to target the white spots with shorter exposures from this second mapping orbit?

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jun 10 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #426

Member No.: 7390

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jun 10 2015, 08:06 AM) *
Those look like compression artifacts to me. I think the "Spot 5" bright spots are still saturated in the released images.

Lots of compression artifacts when zoomed in. Below is a 4x view of white spot 5 with very little processing from the original.

Attached Image

The dark streak to the east and attached to the main bright area, heading southeast, is interesting. I don't think that is a processing artifact.

I have to agree that almost none of the bright area is resolved even in this view. However, it almost looks to me that the main bright area is a mound covered by bright material. But that is certainly more imagination than analysis.

Andy

+Quote Post
pitcapuozzo
post Jun 10 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #427

I'm not a photographic expert, could they try taking photographs at a shorter exposure time in order to maybe resolve some internal structure/features inside the spots?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 10 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #428

Member No.: 1004

shouldn't we start a new thread? the latest picture has been taken in the survey orbit

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 10 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #429

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"I'm not a photographic expert, could they try taking photographs at a shorter exposure time in order to maybe resolve some internal structure/features inside the spots?"

I'm sure they have done so. The good images are just not released yet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 10 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #430

Member No.: 152

I don't know what the bit depth of the original raw images is, but likely more detail is visible in the bright spots in the original images compared to the press release 8bit/pix images. It's been a while since we've heard if the bright spots are still saturated.

QUOTE (alk3997 @ Jun 10 2015, 04:18 PM) *
The dark streak to the east and attached to the main bright area, heading southeast, is interesting. I don't think that is a processing artifact.

I think the dark streak is a slope directed away from the sun. It looks like it may be part of the boundary of a large collapsed (?) region (arrowed in my image below) inside the main crater.
Attached Image

If I'm seeing that correctly, it'd be a good guess that the depression has something to do with the bright spots...

+Quote Post
pitcapuozzo
post Jun 10 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #431

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 10 2015, 06:25 PM) *
I'm sure they have done so. The good images are just not released yet.

Phil

Thanks, can't wait for those images.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 10 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #432

Member No.: 3995

A comparison of crater floor terrain and albedo:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jun 10 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #433

Member No.: 3995

Matching up features:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 10 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #434

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (alk3997 @ Jun 10 2015, 09:18 AM) *

Yeah -- the dark streak appears to be a shadow cast by a ridge of some type, as the sun is coming from the bottom of the image. In addition, the extreme blow-up, while rife with compression artifacts, does show that the uppermost of the small white spots is also casting a shadow in the proper direction. It's the only one of the white spots that shows a shadow above it, although that might be more because the reflections are saturating the pixels so much that the shadows from the larger spots are being wiped out.

I'm tempted to think that the fragmentation of the main, central-peak-like white spot along its edges is real, though the details are rather wiped out by the jpeg artifacts.

Two tongue-in-cheek things that occur to me, looking at the zoomed-in image:

1) The secondary white spots look like a long quonset-style building, with smaller outbuildings arranged around it...

2) The main spot looks like the saucer section of a Constitution-class starship, with the longer piece representing the engineering hull. Not much left of the nacelles, just a few small pieces, so they must have blown apart upon impact...

wink.gif

JUST KIDDING! But, hey, with the jpeg artifacts, you can almost convince yourself that you're seeing a regular structure in the high-albedo parts of the image, just as if they were artificial. And obviously, the scale is all wrong for these things to be anything but natural formations. Gonna be really, really interesting to see these features at higher resolution.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Jackbauer
post Jun 11 2015, 01:40 AM
Post #435

Member No.: 7359

Show time : 3 more !

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.