Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight EDL, 26 Nov 2018
nprev
post Nov 22 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Good morning from Los Angeles! Today at approximately 1954 GMT InSight will touch down in Elysium Planitia, and this is where we'll discuss all the events associated with that. NASA TV (link) will provide live coverage starting at 1900 GMT. Official status updates will be published here (link)

Here's a list of significant events (source: JPL). Times listed first are Earth-received US Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8):

11:40 a.m. PST (2:40 p.m. EST) — Separation from the cruise stage that carried the mission to Mars
11:41 a.m. PST (2:41 p.m. EST) — Turn to orient the spacecraft properly for atmospheric entry
11:47 a.m. PST (2:47 p.m. EST) — Atmospheric entry at about 12,300 mph (19,800 kph), beginning the entry, descent and landing phase
11:49 a.m. PST (2:49 p.m. EST) — Peak heating of the protective heat shield reaches about 2,700°F (about 1,500°C)
-15 seconds later — Peak deceleration, with the intense heating causing possible temporary dropouts in radio signals
11:51 a.m. PST (2:51 p.m. EST) — Parachute deployment
-15 seconds later — Separation from the heat shield
-10 seconds later — Deployment of the lander's three legs
11:52 a.m. PST (2:52 p.m. EST) — Activation of the radar that will sense the distance to the ground
11:53 a.m. PST (2:53 p.m. EST) — First acquisition of the radar signal
-20 seconds later — Separation from the back shell and parachute
-0.5 second later — The retrorockets, or descent engines, begin firing
-2.5 seconds later — Start of the "gravity turn" to get the lander into the proper orientation for landing
-22 seconds later — InSight begins slowing to a constant velocity (from 17 mph to a constant 5 mph, or from 27 kph to 8 kph) for its soft landing
11:54 a.m. PST (2:54 p.m. EST) — Expected touchdown on the surface of Mars
12:01 p.m. PST (3:01 p.m. EST) — "Beep" from InSight's X-band radio directly back to Earth, indicating InSight is alive and functioning on the surface of Mars
No earlier than 12:04 p.m. PST (3:04 p.m. EST), but possibly the next day — First image from InSight on the surface of Mars
No earlier than 5:35 p.m. PST (8:35 p.m. EST) — Confirmation from InSight via NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter that InSight's solar arrays have deployed

Get the peanuts ready, and let's land on Mars! smile.gif

GO INSIGHT!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Nov 26 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Mars looking real big on "Eyes".

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

3 out of 4 of Madrid's DSN antennas are on InSight and the MARCOs right now. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 26 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2018, 12:01 PM) *
3 out of 4 of Madrid's DSN antennas are on InSight and the MARCOs right now. smile.gif

Now's not a good time to phone home Oppy! Get in line! wink.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 26 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1200

I'm sure Spirit is thinking about it ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
B Bernatchez
post Nov 26 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5589

Good luck, everybody!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Gotta say, there is a surprisingly large amount of media attention being paid to this landing. In Los Angeles, local news has been periodically reminding everyone & even the network talk shows have mentioned it. The NASDAQ stock exchange apparently is promoting the coverage as well, which is quite unexpected.

I was also informed that all the Los Angeles public libraries are showing the landing live, and are handing out both library and InSight swag. Great EPO!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

NASA TV live now!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 26 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5221

Live feed started....

+Quote Post
Ectahoosis
post Nov 26 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8484

Hi! I'm new to this site. Thanks for letting me join.

Question: At what time will Insight land, in Mars local time?

+Quote Post
akuo
post Nov 26 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 63

NASA TV Media channel is showing the Insight mission control, but as far as I can see, there is no audio (yet?)

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Nov 26 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 89

QUOTE (Ectahoosis @ Nov 26 2018, 08:23 PM) *
Hi! I'm new to this site. Thanks for letting me join.

Question: At what time will Insight land, in Mars local time?

I think its early afternoon there at landing..but I have no exact time now.

Fingers crossed !

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (akuo @ Nov 26 2018, 12:26 PM) *
NASA TV Media channel is showing the Insight mission control, but as far as I can see, there is no audio (yet?)

Got good audio from the link on the first post, akuo. Might want to reload or check your audio settings.

Sometimes it does seem to go quiet for a bit as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Just saw a shot of our chairman and founder djellison on console for MarCO! smile.gif

EDIT: Nope, wasn't him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 26 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Cruise stage sep in 2 min.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.