Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight landing site, Localization & views from orbiters
elakdawalla
post Dec 7 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Hi folks, I've reopened the EDL thread I'm starting a thread for discussion of landing site localization. There was a figure in today's Sounds of Mars press briefing that shows the location of the landing site, on HiRISE image ESP_036761_1845

Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 7 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I will probably regret this, but just for the sake of having something out there, this is my guess as to the location of InSight. My circular panorama needs to be rotated a bit clockwise to fit this - its orientation was only approximate anyway. And this is not a perfect solution, but it will have to do for now. Very soon we will have a HiRISE image to show the real location. The HiRISE image number is in the file name if you save it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 8 2018, 12:15 AM
Post #3

Administrator

I've combined the map from today's press briefing with the information in today's tweet by team member David Mimoun to locate the landing site within the ellipse. They're still not sure exactly where it is, but it's somewhere near this dot.
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 8 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Administrator

Here's a full-res crop from ESP_036761_1845 that covers the same area as in Mimoun's tweet, plus the same with IRB color overlaid. The color image was missing IR data for one piece of the swath; I copied in data from the green channel to fill that gap, matching the levels.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/i...45_RED_crop.png
https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/i...5_MRGB_crop.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 8 2018, 12:47 AM
Post #5

Administrator

Also, I checked and there seems to be only one other HiRISE image that covers the same area: ESP_037262_1845

This one, very close by, was taken during the dust storm tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 9 2018, 03:16 AM
Post #6

Another candidate location which matches the panorama better than the other one, including distant features, but has a few strikes against it as well. Neither site is perfect.

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 9 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1241

In the immortal words of our Cartographer Phil Stooke... I'll probably regret this but...
It feels like matching features from orbit to the subtle features on this ground here is like some sort of crazy Rorschach Test... after a few hours you start believing any old theory
this is North about 1000 or so pixels from Phil's

Attached Image

Any word on the coming HiRISE image?

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Dec 9 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 9 2018, 09:05 PM) *
In the immortal words of our Cartographer Phil Stooke... I'll probably regret this but...
It feels like matching features from orbit to the subtle features on this ground here is like some sort of crazy Rorschach Test... after a few hours you start believing any old theory

Hmm "three amigos" for the hills...

Does the Insight Team have any naming conventions yet for objects?

Three hills in the distance...
Westerns= Buono, Brutto, Cattivo? (Good, Bad, Ugly?)
Comedies= Steve Martin, Martin Short, Chevy Chase...

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 13 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

HiRISE has posted image(s) of the InSight hardware on the surface:

https://www.uahirise.org/releases/insight/hardware/

As far as where that is WRT the landing ellipse: https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22878

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 13 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #10

Administrator

Via Livio Tornabene on Twitter:
InSight Lander:
Planetographic:4.5510° N, 224.4755° W
Planetocentric:4.499897° N, 135.616000° E
Parachute:
Planetographic:4.5424° N, 224.4707° W
Planetocentric:4.491393° N, 135.620800° E
Heat Shield:
Planetographic:4.5570° N, 224.4640° W
Planetocentric:4.505831° N, 135.627500° E

My maps are here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Dec 14 2018, 07:07 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 9 2018, 04:16 AM) *
Another candidate location which matches the panorama better than the other one, including distant features, but has a few strikes against it as well. Neither site is perfect.
Phil

Quite good Phil : your estimate was 300 m SSE from the real position. Congratulations smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 14 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Not good enough! Must try harder.

Here is a pre-landing image, clearer than the new image, showing the location of the lander. I registered the post-landing image with this to be sure the location is exact. This image is map-projected (north at the top). The press release image is in its non-map-projected format, slightly rotated clockwise from this. The image number is in the file name if you save it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 14 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #13

Administrator

New official locations, based on a map-projected version of the HiRISE image, courtesy of Livio:
Lander
ocentric:135.6180° E, 4.4988° N
ographic:135.6180° E, 4.5520° N
Parachute
ocentric:135.6227° E, 4.4903° N
ographic:135.6227° E, 4.5434° N
Backshell
ocentric:135.6224° E, 4.4905° N
ographic:135.6224° E, 4.5436° N
Heat Shield
ocentric:135.6295° E, 4.5047° N
ographic:135.6295° E, 4.5580° N

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Dec 15 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6842

A gif of before and after the landing I just made, using https://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_037262_1845

Attached Image

Now let's try to spot the landscape features visible in InSight's images.

[Edit] Here are some of the large-ish boulders I think I identified in sol14 panorama (using Phil Stooke's image for inlay):

Attached Image

The boulder on the right end of the panorama is also identifiable (south of the lander)

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Dec 17 2018, 01:26 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 4824

Here is, ready for Google Mars, an orbital map of the InSight landing area. It is a rectangle of roughly 2.82x2.56 km cropped from HiRISE image ESP_036761_1845, specifically from the Merged RGB (MRGB) product.

I registered it using the coordinates tweeted by Livio Tornabene, thank you Livio! The MRGB image has a resolution of 0.5m and Livio's coordinates' accuracy is about 6m, meaning there is room for relocation...

Since the map is 34MB big I can't post it here. Instead I placed it in Google Drive, here is the link: InSight_Orbital_Map_ESP_036761_1845.kmz

I also added the three hardware cutouts from ESP_058005_1845 to InSight EDL kml file. So if you dowload the above file and install it, then download and install this file
Attached File  InSight_EDL_Sim.kmz ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 1128

you will be able to see the hardware superimposed on the orbital map, like this:

Attached Image

You will notice some misadjustments between the HW cutouts and the base map, despite having spent several hours doing location adjustments. I think this is because, as Phil pointed out, the cutouts are not map projected. So, once the full ESP_058005_1845 image is available I may revisit this. Enjoy

Fernando

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.