6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev 149 - May 30-Jun 29, 2011 - Helene, Distant Iapetus, mutual events
Juramike
post Jun 20 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #46

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

To me, it looks like ring material is coating up and loading onto the surface. Then at some point, it releases and makes an avalanche that fills into the basin.

Trying to get a sense of scale, this is about the size of a big avalanche chute on Earth, but I imagine the whole motion being much gentler due to the really low gravity.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 20 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jun 20 2011, 06:38 PM) *
To me, it looks like ring material is coating up and loading onto the surface.

Looking at Ian's atlas, it does seem to be the case that the leading hemisphere is smooth, while the trailing is heavily cratered. My guess would be small impacts over time causing quakes to shake material down slope.

I wonder if the trailing hemisphere is spectrally redder as a consequence.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post Jun 20 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4691

Amazing image and interesting craters and errosion of the surface.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Jun 20 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 655

Awesome with a capital 'awe'

I've been looking forward to this flyby for a couple of months. I get home from work hoping to browse the raw images; and come here first to find that not only was the camera pointing inch-perfect, but the raw images have been enhanced and stacked, there's a cross-eye stereo view to enjoy, and even a flyby movie on 'You tube'

Phenomenal work everybody!!

I'm sure there's a little detail to be teased out courtesy of saturnshine too..... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Jun 20 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 4469

Incredible. Thanks again and again to the Cassini team and all of the image mavens here for providing the rest of us with a seemingly endless chain of such awe inspiring moments. Longest day of the year (almost), and I have a sudden yearning for winter.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jun 20 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 1700

Looks kinda like a used painting sponge:
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 20 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #52

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, that's Hyperion!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jun 20 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 156

I'd love a hi-res enough view to do a good comparison of Helene's flow features with Martian gullies.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jun 20 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 627

Thanks CASSINI and UMSF image mages....

Agree with Juramike and ugordan. Think this is some ring particle loading phenomenon.

Whatever.... man... is she beautiful!!!!

Craig

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 20 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #55

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Good... ***grief***...

Just got back from a day in Blackpool (bought some rock, ate some ice cream, met some daleks, as you do) and went online to see what I've missed -

Look at THAT!!!

I'll say it too: great work everyone who worked on these images. Just brilliant processing and "citizen science" (hate that term but it seems to have stuck... oh well...)

See, DAWN team? See what happens when you release your images quickly and generously? People like those here treat them with care and admiration and use them to create works of art and wonder, which get other people buzzing like bees on crack about your mission! Stop ****ing about and let those pictures fly free!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 21 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #56

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Stu: Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helene: ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif !!! GREAT work, everyone!

After seeing this, I'm beginning to wonder if Cassini herself might glaze over in a few years!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 21 2011, 04:48 AM
Post #57

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

I'm just blown away by the subtlety of the light in this image - the first frame in Cassini's Helene sequence - image N00172780.

Does anyone know if the light shining at the bottom of the frame is Saturn's limb/terminator, a moon or some other feature? Is the planet part of the background?

Also, with an eXtreme contrast stretch (right), Helene's body comes out of the darkness smile.gif

Attached Image

BTW, nice job everyone of the images produced so far.
Cassini's own image release is here and the same from JPL here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 21 2011, 05:55 AM
Post #58

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jun 20 2011, 09:48 PM) *
Does anyone know if the light shining at the bottom of the frame is Saturn's limb/terminator, a moon or some other feature? Is the planet part of the background?

Eyes on the Solar System has predicted trajectory (but not pointing) for this - and looking at the geometry, I think it's the limb of Saturn, The 'darkness' you have, is the night side of Saturn. C/A was well after that and the dark side of Saturn was no longer in the FOV.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 21 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 1345

I wonder if the color changes on the surface are a grain-size phenomenon? Fine coating --> lumpy bigger grained avalanche debris
or grains on the surface slowly subliming-redepositing to get bigger grains, then getting ground down to dust during the avalanche event? (initial Fine coating --> bigger recrystallized grains --> avalanche dust). Hyperion also has the same kinda look.

Anyone know if VIMS also got images?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 21 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jun 21 2011, 12:58 PM) *
Anyone know if VIMS also got images?

Even if it did, the pixels would be so large you would have trouble landing one on just the darker or bright stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.