IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MSL onboard software - "real-time" teleoperation possible?
Tom O'Reilly
post May 13 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5222

How flexible is the MSL embedded software? Could it be modified "in situ" to accommodate teleoperation by humans in Mars orbit?

In my current line of work I work with underwater vehicles of various kinds. An Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) is a free-swimming robot with no physical connection to the surface. Since radio waves do not propagate through seawater and since acoustic communications are generally very slow, "real-time" human control of the AUV is not practical. Instead the AUV onboard software is designed for autonomous untended operation. MSL seems analogous to an AUV; the long Earth-Mars light-time eliminates the possibility of "fast" human response. So I presume that MSL onboard software is similar in its design to AUV software.

I also work with Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which are connected to a surface vessel via electro-optical tether. The ROV is operated by human pilots on the surface vessel, who use joy-sticks and other UIs to "fly" the vehicle and control its instruments in real-time. The vehicle software is designed specifically to accommodate the human-in-the-loop control; these control loops operate at millisecond intervals. ROV software design is quite different from AUV software design.

Let's be wildly optimistic and suppose that there is a human expedition to Martian orbit in the next twenty years, but no human landing yet. The orbital mission could bring its own tele-operated surface robots, but I wonder if they could also use MSL if it is still operational. Would it be possible to re-program MSL in situ to accommodate real-time teleoperation by astronauts in Mars orbit?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.