IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting Started..., Training/Tools I'm using to get started with space image processin
davidleaphart
post Oct 1 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8410

Hi Folks,

Taking the plunge! I'm very interested in pursuing the extraordinary area of space image processing. There is so much data and we all are in a good position to make it available to everyone after doing some work to correct any flaws and/or enhancements.

I'm coming from an astrophysics background along with a professional art career. I'm an intermediate Photoshop user and new to GIMP. I developed a curriculum to get myself elevated in these tools with the goal of coming at the data with a solid knowledge of the tools. I figured Photoshop and GIMP were the best places to start and investigate other tools and advanced techniques as time moves along.

These are my plans and I'm in no way endorsing any of these! These are simply the classes and books I've chosen and they are working well for me.

My tools are Photoshop CS2 V9.0.2 and GIMP V2.10.4.

For Photoshop, I have three references. The Photoshop CS2 User Guide (Adobe), Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers (Evening), and Real World Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Fraser/Blatner). My course of interactive training comes from TotalTraining. It is the Total Training for Adobe Photoshop CS2. They have numerous Photoshop classes and are very inexpensive. The course is very complete and can be used to even achieve a Photoshop certification. As I go along, I use my references and my own copy of CS2.

For GIMP, I have not looked for a course yet. (Total Training has none.) This training will follow Photoshop. I do have two references. The GIMP User Guide (GIMP) and Book of GIMP (LeCarme). From what I've seen so far, these are very good.

While training, I'm researching (thanks to Unmanned Spaceflight.com as a good source for leads) the data stores. Right now, I'm accumulating links and looking. The other is to read as much as possible to see what others like us are doing. There are many articles with the work from this group of folks! Good stuff.

Hope this may help in some way.

David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 4 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4489

Hi

have a look into using ISIS3 and QGis ( uses GDAL and GRASS )

my work flow starts with the pds imaging first processed in ISIS3
i then ( if needed) export out a "raw" image and using Gmic create a 32bit floating point tiff and use the gimp gmic or resynthesizer plugins to inpaint missing data ( mainly missing lines in the images )

then reimport back into isis3

once the images are georeferenced in isis3 then the QGis / gdal / GRASS tools can be used on the isis3 cub files
-- gis software can do a lot of things

or i bypass the gis option and once all the images are georeferenced and mapped they can be exported out of isis3 and red green blue images can be created in gimp ( or PhotoShop)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 4 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Don't miss my various space image processing tutorials: http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top.../tutorials.html

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
davidleaphart
post Oct 10 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Oct 4 2018, 03:40 PM) *
Hi

have a look into using ISIS3 and QGis ( uses GDAL and GRASS )

my work flow starts with the pds imaging first processed in ISIS3
i then ( if needed) export out a "raw" image and using Gmic create a 32bit floating point tiff and use the gimp gmic or resynthesizer plugins to inpaint missing data ( mainly missing lines in the images )

then reimport back into isis3

once the images are georeferenced in isis3 then the QGis / gdal / GRASS tools can be used on the isis3 cub files
-- gis software can do a lot of things

or i bypass the gis option and once all the images are georeferenced and mapped they can be exported out of isis3 and red green blue images can be created in gimp ( or PhotoShop)

Hi John,

Fantastic! and thanks for such terrific and detailed info. Adding to my list for sure!
David

+Quote Post
davidleaphart
post Oct 10 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 4 2018, 04:32 PM) *
Don't miss my various space image processing tutorials: http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top.../tutorials.html

Hi Emily!

My apologies...I need to start at the "beginning"! I began by taking all of your tutorials! That really got everything going. Thanks for taking the time to do these. My second introductory item consisted of selected chapters from Space Image Processing by Sanchez and Canton. It supplemented the material in your tutorials very nicely!

BTW, great job on The Planetary Report!

David

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.