10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 6, May 19, 2017
jccwrt
post May 22 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 7273

I tried my hand at processing some of Gerald's images. The scaling is a little weird on these, as I squeezed the image horizontally to fit the horizon to a circle, and then resized to 1920x1200 for use as a wallpaper. The original JunoCam images have enough artifacting and noise that I don't think there's much change in the amount of detail. I used the HLVG plugin for Photoshop to remove the greenish cast to the images, and then used the lightest-toned clouds to set the gray point of the image. The results look qualitatively pretty similar to processed Cassini images of Jupiter, so I'm happy.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 23 2017, 12:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 5221

First science result press conference on Thursday (11:00 PST): https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/news/nasa-...om-juno-mission

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 23 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 497

Everyone who's processed images from PJ6 (Sean and Justin in particular), if you could upload your images or your favorite subset to missionjuno, Candy Hansen is currently at a Juno science team meeting and would like to highlight your work. Gerald's are obviously there already.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 23 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 6780

Most of the remaining PJ06 close-up raws are on the mission site by now. So, I had a long night with processing these.
I've modified the red/green ratio from 0.82 to 0.88 for the new processings.
Images #122 and #123 have bad reddish pixels due to some yet unidentified over- or underflow.
I'm not yet sure, how long it will take to fix this software issue. If someone likes to post-process the images, especially the two flawed ones, feel free to do so.
I'll upload the new images to the missionjuno site except #122, #123, and #142. The latter shows greenish portions due to partial CCD saturation.
(I'll notify Candy directly via email, before uploading.)

Before rendering a full movie, I'll first need to find and fix the software issue. In the meanwhile, I can adjust the color weights for the movie according to your wishes. This week, I've only later today, Wednesday and Thursday time for movie renditions. So, I'm not yet sure, whether I'll be able to complete a full pole to pole flyby animation with 125-fold time lapse this week. But I'm confident to able to render some fragments, at least. I'll start rendering the approach sequence for the northern half in about 12 hours, even if the software flaw won't be removed, and hope, that it won't show up in this part of the sequence.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post May 23 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 678

Hi smile.gif

Those Junocam pictures processed by you, Gerald, are very inspiring smile.gif And excellent work everyone !

Some of my takes on your wonderful work. I have increase the exposure, balanced the colors and sharpened a little. On the full disk Jupiter image, I added some soft light effet to match the feeling we can have by watching at the gas giant with a telescope.

What I love here is that we are seeing actual cumulo-nimbus clouds, the clouds that are forming cells of thunderstorms.

This image was processed to have a view we can have if we had a 50mm lens (I had to reproject the cylindrical image into rectilinear).

And a full disk Jupiter smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 23 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 7837

I've started uploading to the Mission Juno site.

Here is the first portrait from Gerald's latest batch.

Repairs/Edge filters/Levels/Masks/Colors

Thanks again for your efforts Gerald... beautiful to look at and to work with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post May 23 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ May 22 2017, 10:23 PM) *
Everyone who's processed images from PJ6 (Sean and Justin in particular), if you could upload your images or your favorite subset to missionjuno, Candy Hansen is currently at a Juno science team meeting and would like to highlight your work. Gerald's are obviously there already.

I've uploaded my images there now, thanks for the heads up!

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 23 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #23

Another portrait from Gerald's latest...

Jupiter is just showing off now... quite unseemly.

Detail...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 23 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #24

A third portrait from Gerald's latest...

Details...

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Singing Badg...
post May 23 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 188

These images are absolutely incredible. It's amazing to see at last the fine texture of the cloudscapes. For me, this is the first time Jupiter has ever looked like a place, rather than an abstract painting.

Huge, huge, respect to all whose work has contributed to these images!!
ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 23 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #26

Thanks Badger! smile.gif

Here is the last one for today...

Alternate comp...

Detail

Sequence of the 4 uploaded today...

--------------------

+Quote Post
GS_Brazil
post May 23 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7733

QUOTE (The Singing Badger @ May 23 2017, 02:21 PM) *
These images are absolutely incredible. It's amazing to see at last the fine texture of the cloudscapes. For me, this is the first time Jupiter has ever looked like a place, rather than an abstract painting.

Huge, huge, respect to all whose work has contributed to these images!!
ohmy.gif

So now all these people ( including myself ) that were a bit disappointed with the Juno images finally have to take their words back.
Also amazing to see how some higher clouds / layers throw shadows on lower layers.

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 23 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #28

PJ06 sequence

Added a couple more shots to fill it out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post May 24 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 627

These are phenomenal.... really feel I am seeing the planet now for first time. Cannot take my eyes off the details.

Thanks to Junocam team and all the incredible image magicians out there.

Craig

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post May 24 2017, 02:28 AM
Post #30

Here's my effort at processing image #123 using Gerald's version as a base.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.