IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Data Clippers
ngunn
post Sep 20 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

A proposal to tackle data bottlenecks on future planetary probe missions: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/...00919182645.htm

"the technology could be ready in time to support mid-term missions to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Juramike
post Sep 20 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

That's an interesting concept. I wonder how much it would cost to put a "fleet" in motion?
And would just one mission to the outer planets be enough to justify it's cost?

Technical question: How well would solar sailing and solar power work beyond Jupiter orbit?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 20 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I wouldn't even give this a TRL of 1, let alone say ' could be ready in time to support...' w.r.t. the next flagships. That's crazy. There is a tradition of slightly crazy papers getting the attention of the media office at Europlanet though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 20 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yeah, I'm gonna trust my data to that!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 20 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Considering we still don't do optical comms, I agree with Doug that this idea is pretty far-fetched. Like fusion, it'll probably be 10 years away for 40 years. smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 21 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 590

It's hard to take this too seriously. No one has made solar sails work at 1 AU. They'd be 100x less effective at 10 AU. And what sort of orbits are these things supposed to be on anyway, which repeatedly pass the Earth and various outer planets? Seems to be the brainchild of someone who doesn't understand orbital dynamics and who thinks the planets are all relatively close to each other.

--Greg

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.