IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Whole Earth images, Does any satellite provide regularly updated ones?
ugordan
post Oct 9 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Great resource, Steve! Images I hadn't seen before. I only browsed the few images from the Apollo set, but it looks like a gem.

Sadly, the highest resolution versions have too high a compression ratio set and the scans turn weirdly green. I tried to remove the green background.

Two nice Apollo 8 shots, reduced in size:

I'm a sucker for those thru-the-window shots or, in general, views which show objects of recognizable size with which a human can relate.

Apollo 10 Earthrise, always an awesome sight. So they say...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MouseOnMars
post Oct 9 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 2288

QUOTE (scalbers @ Oct 9 2007, 04:16 PM) *
Hi - there are a few images collected by NASA at this link:

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/Phot...l?set=EarthDisc

Cripes. Thanks scalbers. I found that site ages ago. The highest resolution images of this type I've come across before. Complete with views of the Earth taken out of the Apollo mission ports that I did'nt know about. I then lost the address and no one seemed to know what site I was talking about sad.gif. So you get some thanks from my friends laugh.gif.

MouseOnMars

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 10 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 430

Twin Blue Marbles

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/...p3?img_id=17794

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 10 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #64

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Those new Twin Blue Marble images are just spectacularly beautiful, thanks for the link.

Truly an oasis in the dark ocean of space...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 10 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #65

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 10 2007, 10:12 PM) *
Those new Twin Blue Marble images are just spectacularly beautiful, thanks for the link.

Truly an oasis in the dark ocean of space...

Yes they are Stu!...Thank you all!
All the provided links are true treasures...don't know why, maybe because I had dinner at an indian restaurant nearby, I became all mystical looking at those images and thinking about all the solid ground I have covered with my own feet in this incredbly small and fragile parcel of the Universe...Man!...How priviliged are we?!...

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 22 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 523

Here's a side-by-side comparison of 3 crescent Earth shots at a similar phase angle. They were all tweaked from what is officially available to make ocean color more similar to each other. From left to right: Kaguya, MESSENGER and Apollo 4. North is up only in Kaguya's image.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Nov 23 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 3967

Here is another way to see -- and think about -- the whole globe: with a map, of course. Some of the above posts have been map-like.
This is a constant-scale natural boundary world map of Earth.
Its boundary is a portion, the Atlantic Ocean portion, of the mid-ocean ridge. You might, if you want, follow along with what I learn is called "the Wilson cycle": where the spreading apart of the Atlantic Ocean floor will eventually push closed the Pacific Ocean. That idea, I also hear, is a lot of simplistic, anthropomorphic bunkum. I don't mean to take sides in any argument here, just to point out that with a little ingenuity world maps may be fashioned to illustrate ideas global in scope.
Something meant to address climate change, to reveal large scale patterns in meteorology, a CSNB world map edged by continental divides, for example, would look entirely different.

I'm new around here, and have only recently looked through the "new" rules. It's hard to imagine how this string of posts relates to unmanned space flight. But given the drift of this conversation, I just wanted to add this to the discussion of whole earth views of ther globe.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
n1ckdrake
post Nov 25 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 2537

This is one of my favorites.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 25 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 150

Cool picture, n1ckdrake! Which source/mission? Apollo?

Herebelow an improved crop I made (in particular, color/contrast adjust and sharpening)... I think is a perfect wallpaper! rolleyes.gif
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 25 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 25 2007, 06:53 PM) *
Cool picture, n1ckdrake!

very cool indeed, and dilo and me we are almost right at the center of it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
remcook
post Nov 25 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #71

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

oeee is that a Kelvin wave? Cool!

+Quote Post
n1ckdrake
post Nov 26 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #72

The photo of the Earth is from the Apollo 10 mission, taken at a distance of 100,000 nautical miles. Here is the link to the Apollo 10 Earth Photo

+Quote Post
n1ckdrake
post Nov 26 2007, 04:10 AM
Post #73

This image is from the Apollo 16 mission.

Attached Image

Link

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 26 2007, 05:17 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (n1ckdrake @ Nov 25 2007, 09:27 PM) *
The photo of the Earth is from the Apollo 10 mission, taken at a distance of 100,000 nautical miles.

I knew it had to be from one of three missions -- Apollos 10, 11 or 15 -- due to the amount of the North Pole illuminated by the Sun. Since we appeared to be further from solstice than July, my best guess was Apollo 10 (which, of course, flew in May).

Nice to see I was right!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 26 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (n1ckdrake @ Nov 25 2007, 10:10 PM) *
This image is from the Apollo 16 mission.

This view is almost identical to the view televised from Apollo 16 immediately after transposition and docking, which was by far the best image of global Earth ever transmitted via television from an Apollo spacecraft.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.