9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
S_Walker
post Sep 2 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 4979

Here's my interpretation of frame JNCE_2016240_00C6159_V01.
Wow, thats a ton of work for one image!
I stuck with a straight RGB combine, and increased the saturation 15%. Corrected some distortions in Photoshop.
the right version uses multiple high-pass filter layers, also performed in Photoshop.

Sean Walker
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 2 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 6780

Marble movie on youtube, and AVI version now covering parts 1 to 7 in good quality. The rapid approach to Jupiter begins about 10 seconds before the end of the video.
Without warranty, I think, it's composed of 2890 level-2-processed JunoCam RGB images.
It's notified to the missionjuno site.

This has been quite some work, but probably easy compared to the processing of the close-ups of August 27 to come. So far this was doable without SPICE. So, my next step is preparing the SPICE trajectory for mangling into the processing, and implementing a spheroid version for the Jupiter model, instead of just using a spherical model as for Earth flyby.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 2 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #78

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

New topic created for discussion of the PJ1 image release. The Marble Movie is going to continue for another orbit, so we'll keep this thread open for that.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 2 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 523

Awesome work, Gerald!

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Sep 2 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 110

Could the lack of banding at high latitudes be due to a different balance between energy from the sun and the internal heat released?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 2 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (alan @ Sep 2 2016, 11:57 AM) *
Could the lack of banding at high latitudes be due to a different balance between energy from the sun and the internal heat released?

Nobody knows. It is known that Jupiter is roughly isothermal across latitudes even though there's more energy from the sun at the equator, which is already pretty weird. Obviously the poles have lower rotational speed, but it's not even known how deep the winds are.

"Dynamics of Jupiter's Atmosphere" by Andrew P. Ingersoll et al is a great place to start (if you need to write a bunch of image captions in a hurry, for example. smile.gif )

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Sep 3 2016, 08:01 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 628

A screen grab from the video recently posted by Emily in her blog certainly shows the polar region as equally warm if not warmer, (at at least one specific wavelength and depth), as the average of warm and cool bands in the temperate regions. On Earth I never heard of aurorae raising the atmospheric temperature, but in Jupiter's supercharged environment could this be happening? Straightforward atmospheric mixing might help make the temperatures more uniform at different latitudes, but for the poles to actually be warmer than the tropics would seem to require a more imaginative explanation.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 3 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 4270

My understanding is that the darker zones represent clouds that are opaque to the wavelengths the camera is sensitive to. So it isn't that Jupiter is "cooler" there, but rather, there are higher altitude clouds present.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 12 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #84

The three last pre-pj1 rgb marble movie images animated in 60 second steps per frame (level 1 reprojected directly from raws), hence 1500-fold time-lapse, covering 1.5 hours:
Attached File  jnc_mable_pre_pj1_c6155_c6157_c6159_v47.avi ( 609.65K ) Number of downloads: 257

Together with the pj1 images, it should be possible to cover most of the north polar region from marble movie images, although of varying quality.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 13 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #85

A glimpse at the first 30 post-pj1 Marble Movie RGB images, level 1:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 13 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #86

Administrator

I *just* came here to point out that post-PJ1 Marble Movie images had been posted, and see that you beat me to them, Gerald smile.gif The last image in the archive is from September 3. I'll work on downloading....

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 13 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #87

The test run of the part 8 drafts has been with the parameters derived from images at the end of part 6.
But I see a small misalignment. So I'm running a new calibration with images of end of part 8.
The small offset might be fully explainable by the simplified camera model I'm using for the marble movie images.
Whatever the root cause, assuming a spinup during PJ1 by 0.25% returns better results. No idea, whether that's real, by kind of aerobreaking, some thrust, HGA motion, or just a model artifact.

While I'm processing the images with adjusted parameters, here a manually enhanced version of this second run, showing the Great Red Spot, and a nice shadow, possibly with umbra and penumbra distinguishable:
Attached Image

(credit: NASA / JPL / SwRI / MSSS / Gerald Eichstädt)

I'd think, that I'll be able to provide the full set of part 8 and part 9 rgb level 1 thumbnails within the next about 4 hours.

Edit: sorry, this post has been intended for the Marble Movie thread. [FIXED. --MOD.]

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 13 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #88

Level 1 stills of parts 8 and 9 (immediately after PJ1) of JunoCam "Marble Movie" are available now as zipped pngs.

I'll first work on level 2. After that, I might re-render the level 1 images where Jupiter has been too large to fit.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 13 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #89

Administrator

Thanks! Thumbnails now added to my Marble Movie index page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 14 2016, 01:45 AM
Post #90

Hi Emily, there is a residual inconsistence between the link to the processed pngs
CODE
https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/juno/marble/gerald/JNCE_2016240_00C6195_V01_ge.png

and the actual respective file name
CODE
https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/juno/marble/gerald/JNCE_2016240_00C6195_V01.png

for parts 8 and 9.

-------

Level 2 images look good. I'm going to assemble them.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.