Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 4 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 3 2005, 12:21 PM)
I was planning to take some photos and even bring here my 6" refractor telescope, but my yesterday "dry-run" was so disapointing that I finally gave up. It took too much time to find and track the sun through the scope without the help of the finder and I didn't want to lose the main part of the eclipse adjusting all the hardware.

A friend of mine gave me this photos, taken by himself in Madrid, and his permission to post them here.

Attached Image

Taken with a simple digital camera between first and second contact. The moon's aparent movement was from up to down.

Attached Image

Annular eclipse as seen through his catadioptric telescope.

Attached Image

Eclipse after third contact. See the moon's crater rims.

+Quote Post
odave
post Oct 5 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 209

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 3 2005, 11:05 AM)
And several MODIS images stitched

Neat!

One of the most impressive images I've seen of a solar eclipse (and many of you have probably seen it as well) was taken from Mir on August 11, 1999, as posted on APOD

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 5 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 105

The first (and only) annular eclipse I've experienced was on 30 May 1984. I got on the centerline in a pasture in central Alabama. I took a lot of photos (8" reflector, stopped down with a mylar solar filter, 35mm camera with motor drive), but I didn't increase the exposure enough to account for limb-darkening and the photos of the central phase turned out grossly underexposed. Barely printable on photo paper, I going to scan the negatives with a slide scanner, then stack and enhance the images.

Anyway, during the last few minutes before the maximum eclipse, it gort dark and still, streetlights came on and cows went into the barn. Just like they say. At the instant of maximum eclipse, I got the impression that there was something VERY big overhead. I reflexively looked up and saw the deep red chromosphere arc race from the east to the west side. Even though I glanced up for only a second, that moment will be frozen in time forever.

Great photos here.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 6 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (odave @ Oct 5 2005, 12:41 PM)
Neat! 

One of the most impressive images I've seen of a solar eclipse (and many of you have probably seen it as well)  was taken from Mir on August 11, 1999, as posted on APOD

The famous August, 1970 issue of National Geographic Magazine has an article about the total solar eclipse of March 7, 1970, which included a satellite image of the eclipse shadow on Earth. Was this the first one recorded? I could not find the image online.

This is the first eclipse I ever remember, though I did not actually see it (my parents did not want me to damage my vision). But I do recall they were covering it live on television and the sky did get darker outside, even though I was only in a partial area. I would not see an actual solar eclipse until the annular one of 1994. That was unreal, and I can only imagine what seeing an actual total one is like, which I hope to in person someday. The next one in the USA is 2017, as I recall.

Regarding other eclipses from space, the Apollo 12 crew saw Earth eclipse the Sun in 1969, and Surveyor 7 saw the first lunar eclipse from the lunar surface in 1968.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 7 2005, 06:17 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 15

I know that the crew of Gemini 12 was supposed to observe a solar eclipse from orbit in November, 1966. My memory of the acytual event is fuzzy -- I *think* they were supposed to try to fly through the Moon's shadow and observe the eclipsed Sun from orbit, but this was abandoned when their Agena's Primary Propulsion System (PPS) showed signs of instability during orbital insertion and the crew was forbidden from using it. They needed that big engine to get into the right orbit to pass through the Moon's shadow.

However, I *think* they were able to observe and photograph the Moon's shadow on the face of the Earth.

It is possible that I have this wrong, that they were supposed to try to photograph the shadow upon the Earth but that the loss of the PPS meant that they weren't in the right place to do so. I just can't recall for certain which of these two scenarios was the one that played out.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 7 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 7 2005, 01:17 AM)
I know that the crew of Gemini 12 was supposed to observe a solar eclipse from orbit in November, 1966.  My memory of the acytual event is fuzzy -- I *think* they were supposed to try to fly through the Moon's shadow and observe the eclipsed Sun from orbit, but this was abandoned when their Agena's Primary Propulsion System (PPS) showed signs of instability during orbital insertion and the crew was forbidden from using it.  They needed that big engine to get into the right orbit to pass through the Moon's shadow.

However, I *think* they were able to observe and photograph the Moon's shadow on the face of the Earth.

It is possible that I have this wrong, that they were supposed to try to photograph the shadow upon the Earth but that the loss of the PPS meant that they weren't in the right place to do so.  I just can't recall for certain which of these two scenarios was the one that played out.

-the other Doug

From the NSSDC database:

"During insertion of the GATV into orbit an anomaly was noted in the primary propulsion system, so the plan to use the GATV to lift the docked spacecraft into a higher orbit was abandoned.

"Instead, two phasing maneuvers using the GATV secondary propulsion system were accomplished to allow the spacecraft to rendezvous with the November 12 total eclipse over South America at about 9:20 a.m. EST with the crew taking pictures through the spacecraft windows."

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/database/Master...og?sc=1966-104A

More details here:

http://www.astronautix.com/flights/gemini12.htm

Although the pilots missed the ride to high altitude, Lunney soon found something for them to do with their spare time. The flight plan had originally called for them to photograph a solar eclipse, if it did not conflict with the rest of the mission. This task fell by the wayside when the two-day launch delay - from 9 to 11 November - meant that the eclipse would occur during their high-altitude excursion. Canceling the main engine burn inspired two of the mission planners to thoughts of reinstating the eclipse photography. Schneider and Lunney conferred with James R. Bates, Experiments Advisory Officer for Gemini XII, on the effect this might have on the rest of the experiments. Since the flight plan had to be changed anyway, Bates said, why not include the eclipse?

This conference with Bates marked a significant change in mission control operations. Formerly working out of an adjacent staff support room, the experimenters' representative was now allowed by the engineers in charge to operate as a part of the flight control team in the main control room. Although there had been an experiments console in the control room by Gemini X, it had been only occasionally manned. Bates, on Gemini XII, was the first full-time experiments officer. This experience worked out so well that the custom was continued in Apollo.

Even after the eclipse became a flight-plan casualty, planners continued to plot its path. Now there was a chance to work this experiment back into the mission. The Agena's secondary propulsion system had enough power to get the spacecraft into position for an eight-second photographic pass at the proper time. Schneider and Lunney agreed that this piece of realtime planning would give an added fillip to the mission.

"The eclipse got to us after all," Lovell remarked. "Yes, it looks like it," Conrad answered. Although the crew had wanted to do the experiment when it was first planned, these sudden preparations came at an inconvenient time. They were still working with the Agena and were scheduled to begin such activities as eating, sleeping, and working on other experiments.

An actual image of the Gemini 12 eclipse is here:

http://www.apolloexplorer.co.uk/photo/html/gt12/10074596.htm

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 7 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #23

And here's another photo of the eclipse from Gemini 12 in partial phase.

http://www.apolloexplorer.co.uk/photo/html/gt12/10074595.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 7 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 15

Thanks! I knew most of the story; thanks for filling in the gaps!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.