IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - Stopover on the Road to Glenelg - Arm Commissioning, Commissioning Activity Period 2 - Sols 30 through 37
Ant103
post Sep 10 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

I think I have no words… This is just… Wow.

Thanks to the MSSS team, you're the best smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeanM
post Sep 10 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 6530

Walfy:

How on Earth (or even elsewhere!) could you have possibly known a priori to look in great detail for "some Greek lettering on the MAHLI calibration target" & 'found' γδβγ ?!

Share!

Dean

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 10 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 3978

What a perfect way of starting the day!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 10 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #109

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Had a little extra time this evening to add an extra frame and fix a rear wheel.
Note: some dodgy squishy/stretchy stuff to make a pretty picture.

I'll let JPL and MSSS worry about the science cool.gif

Attached Image

Large version on my blog: 6.34mb [6675 x 3200]

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 10 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (DeanM @ Sep 10 2012, 01:25 AM) *
GDBG appears to be some kind of Caltech fraternity...

Hint: Blacker House is an undergraduate house. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_System_...e_of_Technology

Other related item: here's an extreme closeup of the MMM focal plane board, on the opposite side from the CCD:
Attached Image

I didn't go to Caltech so I only look on these things with bemusement.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 10 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 3978

Made a gif animation of a depth test. Here they focus on the calibration panel going outwards...
Attached Image

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
dombili
post Sep 10 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 6640

Hey fellas, I have a quick question. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but there are some small black dots on the images that MAHLI has sent. Can anybody elaborate as to what they could be? Since the same dots are present on almost every image, it's obvious that the problem caused by the camera. It's probably nothing, but I'm just curious smile.gif

Examples: http://i.imgur.com/Pc7No.jpg - http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E2_DXXX.jpg - http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...2000E1_DXXX.jpg - http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...1000E1_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Sep 10 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 13

A try at a MAHLI stereo anaglyph:

Attached Image

News this morning:

Scientists fear Curiosity rover drill bits could contaminate Mars

On Nov. 1 [2011], after learning that the drill bit box had been opened, Conley said she had the mission reclassified to one in which Curiosity could touch the surface of Mars “as long as there is no ice or water.”

Conley’s predecessor at NASA, John D. Rummel, a professor of biology at East Carolina University, said, partly in jest: “It will be a sad day for NASA if they do detect ice or water. That’s because the Curiosity project will most likely be told, ‘Gee, that’s nice. Now turn around.’ “

If water is found, Curiosity could still conduct tests from a distance with instruments including a laser and spectrometers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 10 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (dombili @ Sep 10 2012, 07:23 AM) *
there are some small black dots on the images that MAHLI has sent. Can anybody elaborate as to what they could be?

They're fragments of uralane threadlock that got on the CCD microlenses and couldn't be removed. (That's the last time we use that material in that application.) I'm working on an algorithm, similar to the old vidicon reseau removal algorithm, to cosmetically remove them.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Sep 10 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 4177

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Sep 10 2012, 10:27 AM) *

This is confusing. Wasn't Phoenix about finding the water? Did its landing gear contaminate the site any less than the wheels of Curiosity? I remember Viking had a "cook out" of its guts once it was encapsulated. Didn't NASA do something similar with MSL?

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Sep 10 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 4177

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 10 2012, 08:52 AM) *
Had a little extra time this evening to add an extra frame and fix a rear wheel.
Note: some dodgy squishy/stretchy stuff to make a pretty picture.

Phenomenal! Interesting to see all the dings on the wheels, especially the dents showing through on the interior of the left most wheel (right front). The little rocks and pebbles are so sharp, they seem like little pickets guarding the pristine surface. The dust on the interior mid part of that wheel must have been blown in from landing. Or could it be dust squeezed through the little holes in the "JPL" section of the wheel that shifts as the wheel turns to coat the whole thing?

+Quote Post
marsman2020
post Sep 10 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 6644

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Sep 10 2012, 06:27 AM) *

MSL's sampling system never had a "bio barrier" like Phoenix. That decision was made not 6 months before launch but probably 6 years.

The "bit boxes" refer to the structures on the front panel that hold the 2 replacement bits. These structures, however, are not hermetically sealed. Neither was the location of the pre-installed drill bit on the turret. And no way the wheels were either. There was no sealed "box" to be opened accidentally.........because it wasn't part of the design. Ref. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._2010023816.pdf, page 235 for a shot of the rover front panel with the bit boxes. They look exactly like what you can see in the photos from ATLO.

The statements by the HQ PP person don't reflect the physical flight hardware on MSL, and then the reporting by the LA Times confuses things even further. I can't make heads or tales of what this is all about. I'd hate to imply that the HQ PP people weren't paying attention to their flagship mission for years, but this was discussed in multiple review cycles and what flew was what was reviewed.

However, something else interesting happened in the last few sols - it appears from the photos that the CHIMRA sample processing system was put through it's paces on the end of the robotic arm. The Sol 32 MastCam photos show the scoop, sieve clearing "thwackers", and portioner door being opened up, and the internal sample-touching surfaces of CHIMRA being inspected with the 100mm MastCam (currently only thumbnails have come down). It looks like the "thwackers" were "thwacked" as well. Testing of the vibration had already been mentioned in a new update on the MSL website, so that hits all the actuated degrees of freedom on CHIMRA.

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Sep 10 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 6546

QUOTE (Doc @ Sep 10 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Made a gif animation of a depth test. Here they focus on the calibration panel going outwards...

Nice, my friend!

I, myself, stacked them and got this. It's not blurry in some places anymore. smile.gif 3 of those images stacked:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Sep 10 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #119

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Has anyone noted the strips of tape that seem to have been placed rather untidily behind and left of the calibration target ?

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 10 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (marsman2020 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:22 AM) *
MSL's sampling system never had a "bio barrier" like Phoenix.

The "bit boxes" refer to the structures on the front panel that hold the 2 replacement bits. These structures, however, are not hermetically sealed. Neither was the location of the pre-installed drill bit on the turret. And no way the wheels were either. There was no sealed "box" to be opened accidentally.........because it wasn't part of the design. Ref. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._2010023816.pdf, page 235 for a shot of the rover front panel with the bit boxes. They look exactly like what you can see in the photos from ATLO.

The statements by the HQ PP person don't reflect the physical flight hardware on MSL, and then the reporting by the LA Times confuses things even further. I can't make heads or tales of what this is all about.

Can we leave it at this, at least in this thread? This is going to be mirrored by every tabloidish news source on the planet with stupid provocative headlines and even more distorted information, and at the next press conference, some engineer or scientist will sigh heavily and deal with questions about it.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.