29 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
stevesliva
post Jun 17 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

Nice. Watch out Miranda... this place may have more lumps.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 17 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #197

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Dawn's images are now definitely better than HST's.

It now seems pretty certain that Vesta's shape is more irregular and lumpy than Miranda's (the earlier images strongly hinted at this). The shape is probably not 'jagged' as seemed possible from the June 1 images but the overall shape is still remarkably irregular for such a big body.

I get the impression that we are seeing both topographic shading and albedo features but this will not become clear until higher resolution images are obtained (a rotation movie from recent images might reveal more about this though).

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jun 17 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 476

Please, sir, I want some more. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 17 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 5221

End of the drought! Is the south pole visible from this point? We may already be seeing the big impact.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 17 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #200

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Thanks, Dawn team! Much appreciated!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 18 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #201

Member No.: 590

I still think it's a good idea, when these photos get posted, to share them on Facebook. And encourage your friends to 1) "like" the camera and 2) "share" the camera.

http://www.facebook.com/dawn.framing.camera

Yes, it's up from just 24 friends to 217 since Emily first proposed it, but sending a consistent message always helps. And it still seems this is just a tiny fraction of all the people we ought to be able to reach.

--Greg

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 18 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #202

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just want to point out that it's really bizarre that this photo, from a JPL mission, has been released on the imaging team's website but is nowhere to be found on the Dawn mission site or in Photojournal. JPL is usually so together and organized, everything shows up everywhere nearly simultaneously, so this is really anomalous. However it got out, I'm very happy! There's still not a lot to see, just enough to see that there's a lot more to be seen....

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jun 18 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #203

Member No.: 1206

Wow blink.gif

Where is the axis of rotation in that image? I get the impression that the south pole is NOT visible in that image if I compare it to the Hubble shots.
If not, that's a truly gigantic 'lump' on the limb, and signs of more 'lumps' around the equator?

Perhaps I'm reading to much into the image. This is going to be good that's for sure.

When you think about it - this is a brand new TYPE of object, a rocky 500km-ish diameter potato. What is Proteus made of - is it icy or rocky? That's the only thing I can think of to compare this to...

P

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 18 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #204

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Little bit of sharpening n'stuff...

Attached Image

My, that's a freaky screaming-monkey-being-tortured-in-a-lab face top right, isn't it..? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 18 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #205

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (antipode @ Jun 18 2011, 02:42 AM) *
What is Proteus made of - is it icy or rocky?

Not that we know for certain, but it's almost surely icy, considering where it formed in the solar system.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 18 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #206

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Don't sharpen too much, Stu - that image had already been sharpened. The unsharpened version is now on the Dawn website... so you were sharpening the artifacts of sharpening, which is never a good idea!

Still, a pretty scary monkey, as you say.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 18 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #207

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Thanks Phil, wasn't claiming it was that scientific - leave that to you guys! smile.gif - I just thought it brought out the face quite strikingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 18 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #208

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (antipode @ Jun 18 2011, 09:42 AM) *
Where is the axis of rotation in that image? I get the impression that the south pole is NOT visible in that image if I compare it to the Hubble shots.

if you look at the movie released earlier last week, you will see that the lump at bottom left seem to be the central peak of the southern polar crater and you will get a sense of the orientation of the spin axis

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jun 18 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #209

Member No.: 1206

Well yes Paolo, but I can't get that to accord with the Hubble rotation movie, which shows Vesta rotating around its short axis if I remember, and where the central peak of the southern crater seems to sit nicely at the south pole (like its an oblate spheroid), whereas this seems, if that lump is the central peak of the south pole crater, to suggest that Vesta is a prolate spheroid (surely not)?

Edit: Ok, I just watched the first video again, and I see what you mean, I'll wait a few more days like the rest of us!

ph34r.gif
P

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 18 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #210

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I bet the gravity models will come up with some really wild mass-distribution for this big chunky-mess. We might even expect Dawn to have a "bumpy" ride in the lowest orbits. And by "bumpy" I mean large observable orbit perturbations caused by unevenly distributed mass.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.