38 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Sample Return
Vultur
post May 4 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #271

Group: Members
Member No.: 4334

I still don't understand the necessity of biohazard precautions, except as a PR move. I understand the idea that even a tiny chance of a big disaster is worth avoiding - but the idea that Mars microorganisms could cause disease in Earth life is biologically laughable. (And 'gray goo' scenarios are just fear-mongering nonsense, whether biological or nanotechnological).

No Mars organism could survive Earth - even if the pressure, temperature, and radically different chemical environment wasn't fatal, the island biogeography effect would cause it to die off almost immediately. Lots of invasive species are a problem on Hawaii, but we don't see Hawaiian pests invading the continents. This is the same thing, but (literally) more than a million times moreso; Mars can't possibly have a biosphere complex enough for anything on it to be competitive with Earth life.

In a way, it can be compared to the LHC paranoia - except that we understand the reasons why a Martian organism CAN'T cause disaster far better than we understand the implications of high-energy particle physics.

EDIT: The main reason why I care is that I think we need to leave the option of direct-to-Earth MSR open.

EDIT again: At risk of a tl;dr:

In a hypothetical case where the funding was provided now (say *insert multibillionaire here* said "here's a blank check, do MSR") how soon could it be done, and what would the biggest challenges be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post May 4 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #272

Member No.: 4691

It is better to use the caution for the media which will say we don't know what can be brought back better to follow the slow procedure.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 8 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #273

Member No.: 1004

This has passed relatively unnoticed, but it could be a step forward for an affordable Mars Sample Return Mission
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2009/aug/H...-194_ALICE.html
I have never been a fan of in situ resource utilization, I think its benefit must be weighted against the added complexity, but this seems relatively straightforward

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 8 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #274

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Paolo @ Sep 8 2009, 10:42 AM) *
...but this seems relatively straightforward

Manufacturing nanoscale aluminum in situ seems fairly difficult. For that matter, even extracting aluminum in situ would be challenging.

I don't think that taking the aluminum to Mars and using in situ water would be a viable approach, but I could be wrong.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 8 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #275

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 8 2009, 09:39 PM) *
I don't think that taking the aluminum to Mars and using in situ water would be a viable approach

This is what I meant

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 8 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #276

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Paolo @ Sep 8 2009, 12:00 PM) *
This is what I meant

What's the relative mass fraction of aluminum and water in this? I can't get to more than the first page of the AIAA paper.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 9 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #277

Unfortunately there is not much technical information on ALICE on the net. The only thing I could find was the first page of the AIAA paper. Perhaps we could contact the authors and ask for a full copy

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 1 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #278

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'm looking for a map that I am sure I've seen, but now can't find. Can anyone help?

This was a map of a projected Mars Rover Sample Return mission with rover traverse. Back in c. 1988-90 there were several studies of these missions, especially at a set of ten sites identified at USGS by Harold Masursky and colleagues. Most of those sites were mapped in detail and published in the USGS Misc. Investigations series, identified as 'Science Study Areas'. Some of those maps (Olympus Mons, Memnonia, Mangala Valles etc.) showed the rover routes, others didnt. Some of the missing routes were shown in the Mars Landing Site Catalog.

But I'm missing one... Chasma Boreale. I am certain I've seen a map of a possible rover traverse in Chasma Boreale. Now I can't find it. It's not in the Mars Landing Site Catalog as I had mis-remembered. There is a version in a 1988 MEVTV workshop but it's not what I'm thinking of. Does anyone have any idea where it might be?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Oct 1 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #279

Member No.: 1241

Chasma Boreale is the polar region traverse? ...here is Masursky's map for that region (bottom-ish)

Attached File  nph_iarticle_query.pdf ( 241.41K ) Number of downloads: 522

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 1 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #280

Thanks... but unfortunately that's the MEVTV workshop one that I have already. There's another one out there somewhere that I'm missing. But I'm grateful for you for finding that one.

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 1 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #281

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Phil whenever I've searched and searched for something I eventually turn to the amazing Google Book Search. A lot of old books are there full text, but a most are just a reference. Anyway, here are a couple of candidates that you might be able to track down in a library or the Library of Congress.

http://books.google.com/books?client=firef...nG=Search+Books

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 2 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #282

Also thanks for this! Sadly those don't include the map I'm looking for. I'm sure I've seen it, but I'm drawing a total blank now I'm trying to find it. I was so sure it was in the Mars Landing Site Catalog (the second of your links), but that has only text, not the map.

Truth is, if it could be found easily on Google I would have it already. I'm hoping somebody involved in this work might see this and remember it.

I really appreciate people trying to help with this!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 2 2009, 04:19 AM
Post #283

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 1 2009, 05:25 PM) *
Truth is, if it could be found easily on Google I would have it already.

Well I figured that, but the Book Search requires a separate effort that most people overlook.

Good Luck.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Oct 3 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #284

Member No.: 381

This is a real long shot, but might it be from "Viking Rover Studies", NASA Contractor Report 140391? This is from my (rather poor) memory, but I recall rover traverse maps for something like three different landing sites. It seems like one was a polar site, but it could have been the Martian south polar area. Anyway, the report is from July 1974, so it probably doesn't fit your criteria, Phil.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 3 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #285

Thanks... that was indeed the south. I'm beginning to wonder if I dreamed the whole thing. I would have sworn that it was in the Mars Landing Site Catalog, but it isn't. The site is, but not the rover traverse. Did I confuse it with one of the traverses that is in the Catalog? Maybe. I'll post a few of the traverse maps I've made next week to show what I'm doing.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.