Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager and Galileo Images of Ganymede, The Ganymede images and mosaics thread
ElkGroveDan
post May 21 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #16

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 20 2007, 07:11 PM) *
I have now completed my earlier post with an improved Ganymede and added Europa and Io.

That one's going on the wall of my office. Is that the highest res you have Ted?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mchan
post May 21 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

Striking view, Ted!

+Quote Post
MarcF
post May 21 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 773

Thanks Ted. really nice.
The color mosaic of Perrine Regio is exactly what I was looking for.
However, the polar cap boundary is not really obious.
Marc.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 21 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #19

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

It is the highest resolution I made it. The Ganymede and Europa mosaics are much larger, and the Io mosaic is slightly larger, but the Callisto mosaic is at full size.

Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 21 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #20

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (MarcF @ May 20 2007, 12:15 PM) *
Thanks a lot to all of you for these great mosaics !
These pictures were taken 10 years ago, and there is still a lot to do with them.
Did anybody try to assemble the very high resolution pictures taken during G1 over Xibalba Sulcus ?

I decided to try but I couldn't identify any common features when examining these images visually so I don't think they overlap (if anyone can prove me wrong please post here!). To check this further I reprojected them to simple cylindrical projection using the viewing geometry information in the IMG files. I then assembled the result into a single map. This resulted in overlap but the images do not match, meaning the viewing geometry information is inaccurate. The map looks like this:

Attached Image

Not exactly a high quality map. In addition, there are several problems with the Xibalba Sulcus images: No context images are available, the exact location of the image footprints is unknown and the bright, sunlit slopes are severely overexposed.

QUOTE (MarcF @ May 21 2007, 10:53 AM) *
Thanks Ted. really nice.
The color mosaic of Perrine Regio is exactly what I was looking for.
However, the polar cap boundary is not really obious.
Marc.

The polar cap boundary isn't obvious, the change is gradual. "Can't see the forest because of the trees" is a further problem - when I made my 7200x3600 pixel global map of Ganymede the polar cap wasn't obvious enough in the initial version of the map because it wasn't made from global images. I had to post process the map to make the polar caps bright enough, using global images as a guide.

PS Lots of great images of Ganymede here smile.gif.

+Quote Post
MarcF
post May 21 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 773

It's surely the most difficult mosaic to construct (if not impossible !). At least you tryed. Thank you Bjorn.
Indeed, the four images may not overlap. The same happened with the G1 Uruk Sulcus high resolution mosaic, but in that case, there were nice Voyager 2 context images.
Even if the four pictures do not really match, the mosaic anyway gives a better idea about the fine structure and topography of this terrain at high resolution.
Concerning the polar cap boundary, I did not expect to see something really sharp, but at least less gradual !!
Ganymede is still one of my favourite "worlds", and it's really a pleasure for me to follow this thread.
Marc.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 21 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 20 2007, 08:11 PM) *
I have now completed my earlier post with an improved Ganymede and added Europa and Io.

Tour de force, Ted. I use the screensaver on my computer to teach my son the major worlds of the solar system. At 16 months, he calls Io "eddy", Europa "opa", Ganymede "bop" (you figure it out), and Callisto "toe". I'll split your mosaic into four and make those the images for these colorful worlds.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 22 2007, 02:34 AM
Post #23

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

smile.gif ...very cool, JR! Quite the budding planetary scientist you have there!

I tried getting my daughter interested in this back in the 80s, but, alas, pictures in books didn't have the same allure as computers do to children nowadays (to say nothing of wonderful, detailed images like Ted's!) She knew how to say "Louis Vuitton" long before she could say "Mars", so I knew it was a lost cause... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post May 22 2007, 03:29 AM
Post #24

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

These stories are adorable...my four-year old says that I play with moons and make puzzles with them, but no names are known to him but Saturn's. Kudos to Ted for a magnificent montage and Bjorn for assembling some of the fugliest images in planetary exploration history into something vaguely comprehensible. biggrin.gif I'm tossing in a context scene of the Memphis Facula mosaic from the first post...those Voyager images make things far easier to understand where available.

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post May 26 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 623

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ May 21 2007, 08:29 PM) *
Kudos to Ted for a magnificent montage and Bjorn for assembling some of the fugliest images in planetary exploration history into something vaguely comprehensible. biggrin.gif

Hey... Ganymede could never be fugly! tongue.gif
This shows the context for the light-dark boundary observation. These images, and others that overcompressed, actually look pretty good as soon as they are resampled by reprojection. By the way, every other frame contains a central "truth window"--a 96x96 pixel area where there is no compression at all.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post May 26 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 623

QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 19 2007, 08:49 AM) *
Here is one from G-2 (use the link for a higher resolution version).

http://www.strykfoto.org/g2-1a.jpg

Here is the context for this G2 palimpsest observation (this palimpsest is now named Epigeus). Every other frame of this observation, too, contains truth windows. This one is a nice complement to the Memphis Facula observation--each shows a transect across the various palimpsest facies.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 26 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #27

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Thanks, Vex! smile.gif Long time no see, welcome back!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Nov 13 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 99

Excellent mosaics! I browsed through the Planetary Photojournal to see what other Galileo observations were either 'forgotten' or incomplete.
Here are some mosaic-attempts of mine:

G7GSKITTU_01 Kittu Crater

On the PPJ this observation was merged with G7GSKITTU_02 color:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA01611

Here is the original G7GSKITTU_01 without color:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
OWW
post Nov 13 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #29

G2GSURUKSL01 Uruk Sulcus. Stereo companion to G1 Uruk observation
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
OWW
post Nov 13 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #30

G7GSNEITH_01 Neith Crater.

Same as this PPJ image: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA01658
But at full-resolution.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.