Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 26 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #242

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Here are two very high resolution Voyager 1 images of Jupiter - the resolution is ~5 km/pixel (this corresponds to a JunoCam altitude of ~9000 km). The processing is probably best described as quick and dirty and the intention was to show two very different areas at very high resolution.

Attached Image
Attached Image

One of the images shows a lot of interesting features, including obvious cloud shadows and vertical relief (and maybe I should mention in passing that I have only been able to detect cloud shadows around bright clouds - probably a normal result since they would be more difficult to detect around darker clouds). The other image is rather uniform and shows no obvious small scale features. Both of these images are contrast enhanced, especially the one that lacks obvious small scale features.

Juno's closest approach occurs tomorrow and I'm looking forward to see the JunoCam images. As these images show the highest resolution JunoCam images might show lots of features or they could look relatively featureless - or we might see both 'kinds' of images (perhaps most likely). And of course we'll see color images (Voyager 1 was imaging with its clear filter only when the above images were obtained).

Note: I have edited one of my recent Voyager mosaic posts - the one showing the Great Red Spot. I added a schematic context view that I forgot to include when I posted the mosaic last week.

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Aug 27 2016, 12:35 AM
Post #243

Group: Members
Member No.: 7991

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 26 2016, 06:10 PM) *
Note: I have edited one of my recent Voyager mosaic posts - the one showing the Great Red Spot. I added a schematic context view that I forgot to include when I posted the mosaic last week.

I've never seen a view like that showing the scale of the closeup images - I didn't actually realize how zoomed in some of the images are.

Well, before Juno starts sending back its close ups, here are some of my favorite Voyager 1 images - can't wait to see what JunoCam captures!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 27 2016, 04:06 AM
Post #244

Member No.: 321

Bjorn, the image on the left shows detail – shadows of higher clouds onto lower clouds – that I have never seen in any Jupiter image, ever! Certainly a testament to your work, as well as a happy coincidence of the lighting and shot selection; perhaps the single-filter is a good choice as well. I suspect that the shadows are visible around the bright clouds because they are at a distinctly higher level than the clouds below them, like the tops of thunderheads on Earth, but that is just an educated guess.

I will look this image over in great detail – interesting as well as beautiful!

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Aug 29 2016, 12:20 AM
Post #245

Member No.: 7273

I had some time to work on Voyager images this weekend and it seems like there's a never-ending well of neat stuff to work on.

Here's a 4 frame mosaic made from orange/violet pairs taken on March 1. I've applied a white balance and a color correction to subjectively match what Jupiter looks like through a telescope.

Full-size here

And a 5 frame narrow angle mosaic taken through the green filter and colorized with an orange/violet pair of wide-angle shots. This one hasn't been color-balanced.

Full-size here

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 12 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #246

IMG to PNG GOD

Here is one final Voyager mosaic of Jupiter that (probably) finishes the sequence of seven mosaics I posted 4 weeks ago (the last mosaic back then is mosaic 7). It is composed from narrow angle and wide angle Voyager 1 images.

Mosaic 8: Highest resolution pre-Juno Jupiter color data. The full size version is too big too post here, this is an enhanced image at 40% the original size:

Attached Image

And here are links to the full size versions (7400 x 5550 pixels):

Click here for enhanced full size version
Click here for approximately true color/contrast full size version

Range: ~650,000 km from Jupiter's center. Resolution of original data: ~6 km/pixel.
Juno, corresponding height above Jupiter's cloudtops: ~10,500 km (applies to the Voyager narrow angle data)

Less than 8 hours before closest approach Voyager 1 obtained a green and violet filter mosaic with its narrow angle camera (NAC) covering most of the Great Red Spot (GRS) - a total of 28 images. Here the effects of the varying illumination across the mosaic have been removed. At ~6 km/pixel this is the highest resolution pre-Juno color data for Jupiter (all of the higher resolution Voyager images are clear filter images). Lower resolution orange, green and violet images from Voyager 1's wide angle camera (WAC) are also used to show the GRS periphery and surrounding areas. The color in this mosaic was rather difficult to process. The WAC filters are significantly different from the corresponding NAC filters and the left/right edges are not covered by all three WAC filters. There are also some areas in the NAC mosaic where only green or violet was available (especially near the corners of the NAC area). The color is somewhat less accurate there.

The white box in the image below shows the area covered by the NAC images.

Attached Image

The NAC data has two times higher resolution than the GRS cross mosaic I posted earlier. Interestingly, large parts of this higher resolution mosaic do not show significantly more details than the GRS cross mosaic. It's rather as if that mosaic has simply been enlarged by a factor of two. Many of the cloud features become more fuzzy and the boundaries between dark and bright features do not appear as sharp as they appear at lower resolution. There are some exceptions from this, for example in the GRS's northeast periphery where relatively bright, elongated clouds are visible. These clouds change very rapidly and cast noticeable shadows when the illumination geometry is favorable and the resolution high enough. It would be interesting to see Juno images of the GRS northeast periphery and also of the bright convective feature that frequently appears northwest of the GRS.

Two other versions of the NAC data and some of the WAC data have been seen earlier (here and here). Despite this I decided to make my own version of this mosaic because this is the highest resolution pre-Juno Jupiter color data.

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Sep 12 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 7991

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Sep 12 2016, 03:12 PM) *
here are links to the full size versions (7400 x 5550 pixels)

The color in this mosaic was rather difficult to process. The WAC filters are significantly different from the corresponding NAC filters

Wow, 41MP! I wish I had a bigger monitor - my laptop is just 1MP or so. I'm constantly amazed at the images Voyager was able to get with its one-shot flybys, and look forward to seeing what Juno is able to get when it comes across the great red spot.

I've also come to appreciate how difficult putting together mosaics like this can be, and I didn't even realize the WAC and NAC filters were different.

Do you use ISIS to help align and process these, or is it something you've developed? Or are these images flat enough that you can work on them in 2D? If it's a trade secret that's alright, just curious what your process is like. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 6 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #248

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (Brian Burns @ Sep 12 2016, 09:07 PM) *
Do you use ISIS to help align and process these, or is it something you've developed? Or are these images flat enough that you can work on them in 2D? If it's a trade secret that's alright, just curious what your process is like. smile.gif

No trade secrets here. I don't use ISIS much for processing images of gaseous targets, largely because the clouds change very rapidly in hi-res images. Instead I usually use a Windows command line utility I wrote using the SPICE toolkit. It takes as input a list of SPICE kernels, UTC, spacecraft and target name and outputs the viewing geometry. It can also be used to correct the pointing in a somewhat similar way to what the ISIS deltack program does. I usually determine the correction by using 3D software to render the target using the uncorrected viewing geometry from the SPICE kernels and then determine the correction in pixels using either limb fits or the location of features in the image/render (using the location of features works if I have already processed one or more images that overlap the image I'm processing - and of course this is necessary if the limb isn't visible). I also use homegrown software for reprojecting the images to e.g. simple cylindrical projection once the viewing geometry has been determined.

When I'm processing images of solid bodies (e.g. the Galileans or Saturn's major satellites) things are often different. In that case I use ISIS fairly frequently to refine the pointing in a bunch of images using deltack, qnet and jigsaw. The result is a C kernel.

One thing that has probably made me use ISIS less than I really should do is that I'm dual booting between Windows and Linux. However, I have noticed that apparently it is becoming common to use virtual machines instead of dual booting (the plus here is I wouldn't need to stop using Windows while I'm using ISIS). Somewhere in a different thread I noticed that you are using a virtual machine to run Linux/ISIS. Does this work well? I suspect graphical programs like qnet might be more affected than something like jigsaw but it is very important for qnet to work smoothly since it's used for creating/editing/measuring the control point networks.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jan 3 2017, 03:07 AM
Post #249

A few cloud mosaics from Voyager 2 about 3 days before closest approach:

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Sep 6 2017, 04:43 AM
Post #250

Member No.: 7250

Late happy birthday, Voyager 1! Part of the Jupiter rotation movie stabilized, with each color record interpolated to include two synthetic frames, and then all three records layered on top of each other. My first fringe-free work!

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Aug 28 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #251

Serendipitous color image of Amalthea taken about 20 minutes prior to closest approach (and a set of targeted observations) around July 9, 1979 1900 UT. I'm not sure if this one has been processed before - I've certainly never seen it. Some of the color loss along the limb is due to the rapid rotation of Jupiter making a color trio very difficult to assemble here. Since the original photo set was pretty clear, I felt comfortable enlarging the image by 2x and applying some sharpening to compensate.

Jupiter and Amalthea - Voyager 2

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jan 17 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #252

Decided to have a poke around some of the post-flyby images from Voyager 1. I think there are a few great photosets there to process.

One that really caught my attention was a view of Jupiter's south polar region. Although faint in the original data, you can see the high-altitude haze decks that were discovered once Juno started providing more direct polar views. I've produced a contrast enhanced version to highlight these features. Really interesting to me how obvious something can be once you know to go look for it!

Another image set I worked on was using some of the cloud/lightning monitor images taken over the month following closest approach. There are a couple of good color sets that include the moons. Here's one of the higher-resolution images, which includes Io. I carefully processed this one to highlight some of the terrain detail on the nightside, which is backlit by Jupitershine.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Jan 18 2019, 02:11 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 117

Beautiful!

John

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jan 20 2019, 03:16 AM
Post #254

Thanks, John!

I stumbled across the Amalthea encounter images from Voyager 2 again today. The narrow-angle images have the moon in silhouette against the clouds, and are severely overexposed. I had written them off as not worth working with, but I noticed that one image had some mottling within the silhouette. I took a closer look and realized that there was some detail there! I did some work to composite it into one of the properly-exposed frames and colorize the surrounding clouds with wide-angle OV pairs. I have also artificially colored Amalthea with an averaged global Galileo-derived color. Here are the results:

Attached Image

I also found a nice opportunity to make a composite "farewell" image of Jupiter from Voyager 1's perspective. Europa and Io transited across Jupiter within a few hours of one another on April 13, 1979 (the final day of the spacecraft's imaging campaign at Jupiter), so I made a composite image using the imaging data. This view is set at 1927UT, shortly after Europa had finished its transit across Jupiter and while the Great Red Spot was still visible on the limb. I composited in an image of Io taken a few hours later.

Jupiter and Europa and Io - Voyager 1

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jan 31 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #255

A 3x3 mosaic image of Jupiter from Voyager 1 on Feburary 22, 1979. I really liked this one because it captures three of the Galilean satellites in close proximity to Jupiter, as well as the beginnings of an eclipse from Io. If you look carefully, Amalthea and its shadow are also visible! There is some moderate geometric distortion from Jupiter's rotation, since mosaic was acquired over a span of ~30 minutes. I also did not correct the moon locations relative to the central time of the mosaic, so those are slightly off as well. But still a decent representation of Jupiter, IMO!

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.