8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
JUICE, ESA's L-class mission to the Jovian system
machi
post Feb 16 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

Yellow book is available (13.1.2012) - JUICE.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Feb 21 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 451

Thanks, that's cool. I hope they can get approval and stay on time. 2022 isn't that far away in the scheme of things.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 29 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #3

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Thanks - I finally took a look at this and it is obvious that this would be an extremely interesting mission. A 'Galileo 2' (with the omission of Io though) in a way but with modern and far better instruments (and antenna!). I also get the impression that it would very nicely complement a possible NASA Europa mission since that mission now seems likely to focus almost exclusively on Europa while JUICE is more of a Jupiter System mission - it even includes nice coverage of Jupiter's polar region.

+Quote Post
Seryddwr
post Apr 6 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6058

Wasn't a final decision about JUICE supposed to have been made yesterday? I hope they picked it...

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 18 2012, 07:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1004

rumors say that JUICE has been recommended for adoption as ESA's next large mission. nothing official so far...
great news if true!

+Quote Post
machi
post Apr 18 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #6

It looks official enough (at least for me). smile.gif

ESA/SPC(2012)12

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Apr 18 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #7

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

This is great news. Detailed information is available and from what I've read this mission is vastly superior to Galileo (even if its HGA had worked), thanks to modern instruments etc. (a difference of at least 30 years). In a way this is Jupiter's 'Cassini' - not as big but with more modern instruments.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Apr 18 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 162

The link mentions an ice penetrating radar.

I am agog with the possibilities. They also discuss the radiation requirements and seem confident the cumulative dose will be survivable.

+Quote Post
machi
post Apr 18 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #9

I have another informations about L missions.
JUICE was recommended by SSAC and SSEWG groups, ATHENA by AWG group and NGO by PSWG group.
JUICE is preferred choice, but it isn't still 100% certain. Final (formal) decision by ESA members is expected on 2 May.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Apr 18 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1083

Fantastic news! I've very impressed by the high data rate (1.4Gbit/day) and the ability to operate 11 instruments on solar power at 5AU. Also glad to see that they are not at all relying on NASA or JAXA support for the mission, although I hope those agencies can support the mission in some way.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 18 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1004

I was split between JUICE and LISA, but LISA or NGO or whatever it is called now would have been my favorite choice, for the Nobel prize science it would produce and for the technological challenges it implied, but still I'm quite happy with JUICE!

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Apr 18 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 351

You can read the current presentation summarizing the mission from the proposal team at http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/mar2012/prese...ICE_Summary.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 18 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Looks to me like they're planning something around 350-400 kbps - which would be spectacular from Jupiter. Can't find a data rate directly, but can infer it from the 1.4Gb in an 8hr pass.

+Quote Post
Seryddwr
post Apr 18 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6058

Obviously, I think everybody here would have preferred it if ALL the missions were commissioned! rolleyes.gif

But if it is JUICE that's been picked, it sounds tremendous. Something to look forward to in a few years. Plus it will be good to finally get global coverage of Europa instead of the pinpricks of data that came from Galileo. Reading the Atlas of the Galilean Satellites is a rewarding but frustrating experience - like hearing a few seconds of Beethoven's Ninth or seeing a couple of square feet of Guernica...

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 18 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 117

No global Europa coverage from JUICE, except at low resolution- there are only two Europa flybys, both at similar longitudes. Still, with high data rates and an ice penetrating radar, these should provide a spectacular improvement in our understanding.

John

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.