InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
nprev
post May 24 2019, 11:15 PM
Post #586

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thank you very much, rhr! smile.gif

This is terrific outreach, and a unique opportunity for citizen science. Looking forward to the findings of these groups!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post May 29 2019, 01:28 AM
Post #587

Group: Members
Member No.: 4605

Looking at the Insight weather records https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/weather/ the minimum temperature for Sol 172 is surely an error. -133.5° C or -208.3° F in American parlance is a third lower than the norm.

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 30 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #588

Member No.: 152

I didn't recognize the sol 126 night sky field, but the new sol 176 field is easy:
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0678M_.PNG
That's Orion's belt and sword near the upper right and Sirius to its lower left.

It's jarring to see the belt stars trailing the "wrong way" due to the different pole (though we've seen this before with MER).

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post May 31 2019, 04:45 AM
Post #589

Member No.: 8089

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 15 2019, 12:29 PM) *
Off to the northwest from the landing site there is a hill. [...] It looks as if it has a lower extension to the right which I had not seen before.

I'm thinking it may be part of a crater rim, considering how populated with craters the area around Homestead Hollow seems to be.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 2 2019, 04:34 AM
Post #590

Member No.: 6853

The grapple on the robotic arm has been released on Sol 182 (June 1)

Are we going to see a lift on the HP3 housing? I can't think of any other reason for releasing the grapple.

No new entries on the mission blog

Attached Image

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jun 2 2019, 07:25 AM
Post #591

Member No.: 692

Interesting! The mission blog says they believe the mole is down 30 cm, with 7 cm still in the support structure if I interpret them correctly.

We don't know how much modeling they have done and a move now seems risky, but beggars can't be choosers.

Maybe they pull the structure up and it frees the mole from the structure it's rubbing against so it can proceed down at an angle.

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Jun 3 2019, 03:06 AM
Post #592

Member No.: 628

Moving the probe site was something that nobody seemed willing to consider. If this is actually going to be tried, it may come at the cost of some damage to the apparatus and other unanticipated complications, so it likely means that the team believes the probability of success in the present location is very low. Trying something innovative and risky is infinitely preferable to letting the present stalemate continue on to the end of the mission.

The lesson of Hayabusa I is that human ingenuity and persistence can make a crucial difference even in unmanned missions. In a nail-biting way it will be fun to see if they can pull it off. Space is difficult.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 3 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #593

Sol 182 Animated Grapple test: I guess this increases the odds of an imminent attempt at getting the mole deeper into the regolith? Good luck team InSight smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 3 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #594

Member No.: 530

I wonder if they figure that holding on with the grapple during hammering will help somehow. I'm not yet ready to jump to the conclusion that they're moving hp3.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 4 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #595

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the heavy pixelation in the grapple animation, some of that was brought about by my processing, but the PNG images are unusually compressed compared with images issued since the mission started.

I checked the file size of an image of the arm / grapple / sky (without terrain) from sol 175 it was 1.13Mb. This latest batch from sol 182 are only ~240Kb.

I know the mission image server was loading slowly on mobile connections, but I hope that they did not fix that by compressing the detail out of the public images, when they only needed to add thumbnails in order to speed server loading times. I hope that future images loaded on the server return to the resolution seen before this batch, it would appear to be an outreach disaster if the public have await several months for the PDS versions to be posted.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 4 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #596

Member No.: 152

It seems very unlikely that compression was for the sake of loading the public page faster. My guess is that sequence of grapple shots was actually captured at higher compression - notice that it's a large sequence. And later frames are back up to the larger filesize.

(I agree that thumbnails would be welcome!)

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 5 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #597

Member No.: 497

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7416

the team plans to use InSight's robotic arm to lift the structure out of the way. Depending on what they see, the team might use InSight's robotic arm to help the mole further later this summer.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 5 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #598

Member No.: 5221

A video with further details has been released as well, showing their test model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9sJl3lacpQ

So much for the 'it's a boring mission after EDL and instrument deployment' chatter we had earlier (though I'm sure everyone involved would have preferred that!)

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Jun 5 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #599

Member No.: 251

"If removed from the soil, the mole can't go back in."

Why is this? I understand that the structure provides initial guidance for the probe and that there is no way to reinsert the probe into the structure, but couldn't the arm be used to provide a bit of guidance to the probe to get it restarted?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 5 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #600

Member No.: 4270

Because the mole can only drill forward. If it's laying on the ground on its side, that's game-over. There's no plausible way to right it.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.