Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix - Sol 83 pano revisited, With the help of PDS files
Ant103
post Sep 21 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

Hi,

I want to show a special production I've made, a retake on the Sol 83 panorama showing the first frost at Vastitas Borealis Phoenix's landing site.

Create from PDS img files (conversion with the helpfull PDS Reader for ImageJ), colorisation in Gimp, stitching with Hugin, some adjustments in Gimp and creation of a synthetic sky from sky colors.

Hope you will like it smile.gif.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Sep 21 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #2

Guests

I liked it, thanks!

I think you should be very careful when you use the colorify function in GIMP. The image appears too reddish somehow, even unnatural (Look at the solar panels).

Keep up the good work!

+Quote Post
mps
post Sep 21 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3964

I do know next to nothing about image processing, but I do know something about sunsets/rises (on Earth, of course) and that makes me thinking that maybe the solar panels ARE so reddish when the sun is so low in the sky.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 21 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1004

Wow!! Looks like painted in some places! huh.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 21 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #5

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Personally I don't care if it's not 1000% accurate in terms of colour; that is a beautiful, beautiful image.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 21 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (mps @ Sep 21 2009, 06:31 PM) *
I do know next to nothing about image processing, but I do know something about sunsets/rises (on Earth, of course) and that makes me thinking that maybe the solar panels ARE so reddish when the sun is so low in the sky.

The problem with that is that whereas scattering in Earth's air subtracts blue light, giving red sunsets, on Mars the situation is reversed - Rayleigh scattering is negligible compared with the effect of the suspended dust. The dust filters out red light, giving blue sunsets. Check out that already famous sunset over Gusev image, or more recent ones.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/117988m...re_347_ys_4.jpg

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 22 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the comments wink.gif. Especialy Stu smile.gif

Zvezdichko : I am not using a colorification function in Gimp. It's made from 3 different filters (one neutral,-put in red mode- one green and one blue). The solar pannel look red because of dust accumulation on it accentuated by low sun (not a scattering but a dusty effect) and some frost. Anyway, the colors are not perfect. and after, it's not my target to have the true perfect exact colors (for me it's an affair of interpretation).

In the attachment you will find a highly reduced version created with a white pointing with the level tool (white pointing made on a place on the solar pannel). I find this version too greenish in some place.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 22 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm seing differences in colour between pointings. Does the ImageJ PDS reader use the offset and scaling like img2png ?

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 23 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #9

I don't know exactly. He read the IMG file in 16 bits format. But the PNG exportation is made in 8 bits. But there is various format of exportation like tiff, jpeg, fits, bmp, etc.
Tiff is the only one to be in 16 bits, but it's lead to have a very dark picture. I think there is some settings to make to have a brighter pic.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.