MSL at Rocknest, First scoop samples - sols 57-101
Ant103
post Oct 6 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

It's a little late for this but :
Sol 57 mosaics :

The link is going to my new galery of Curiosity image, totally remade, with a timeline of the events, classified by sols, and each picture is horodated, with a minute precision. I hope you will like it smile.gif. This give the feeling of the time, I think.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 7 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 3978

I like the timeline on your web Ant! Definitely worth it!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Oct 7 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 6500

Damien's (Ant103) much better at seamless stitching of Navcam mosaics than I, but I just had to see this one ASAP.... so here's a quickly stitched anaglyph of the Sol 60 Navcam panorama. Gives a pretty good impression of the lay of things around MSL today. Phil's "sea lions" can be seen in this one too just above and to the right of the RUHF antenna. I'm fascinated by the long "petrified tree" looking formation on the ground in front of them. You can see it even better in the Sol 54 MC100 mosaic. What the heck is that? It looks for all intents and purposes like a fallen log...very strait, very long, and even looks very round...hmmm. Here's a closer look at it.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
Doc
post Oct 7 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 3978

MAHLI took a shot of the left middle and back wheels after inspecting the undisturbed ripple.
MAHLI sol 60 image
Lots of small dents and scratches.

Just caught scott's tweet saying the image above was to check if the mid wheel had been raised which would have made scooping an unstable process.

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 7 2012, 01:57 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Oct 7 2012, 01:29 AM) *
It looks for all intents and purposes like a fallen log...very strait, very long, and even looks very round
I'd say it's likely a flatish slab viewed end on, rather than a cyllinder. The "sea lions" probably are more slab-like than they look too.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Oct 7 2012, 02:08 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 3988

I second what Ed said, I'm sure Ant is gonna do a better job at this one, but here's mine. smile.gif

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Oct 7 2012, 02:43 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Oct 6 2012, 07:29 PM) *
I just had to see this one ASAP.... so here's a quickly stitched anaglyph of the Sol 60 Navcam panorama. Gives a pretty good impression of the lay of things around MSL today.

That is certainly worth staring at. Trying to place the terrain from the orbital images with the panorama view. I have no trouble identifying "rocky point" - particularly if I look at the crater rim in the background. That gives me an additional check! Those 360 panoramas are handy orientation devices.

However: In the North East direction, there is a somewhat circular depression that is possibly a crater or perhaps a deeply eroded basin in Glenelg. I can't really place it with the overhead view. A lot would depend on it's distance from MSL. Trying to tempt some Pano/orbilal comparisons. With the MERS we had programs that allowed distance information to be recovered from NAVCAM images, but I haven't used then for years and anyway the cameras are different.

~ North East Cropped section of Ed Truthan's Pano:
edit corrected direction

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 7 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (stewjack @ Oct 7 2012, 03:43 AM) *
Trying to tempt some Pano/orbilal comparisons.

It would be great if someone could match visible features with Peter's map (see Geomorphology post 46), particularly the little 'island' at 137 27 05E, 4 35 32S which should be quite prominent.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Oct 7 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 3988

The deck on Sol-60.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Oct 7 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 353

Sol 59-60
The Navcam R Panoramic view.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 7 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #56

For referring to features in panoramas a few informal landmark names can be useful. We already have Rocky Point. Some of us probably have our own private names for things (or is it just me?). Here's one I'd like to share. For me there's only one possible name for the hill at the leftmost visible extremity of Mt Sharp. It's Dumgoyne: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...BA&dur=3713

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Oct 7 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 7 2012, 08:43 AM) *
For referring to features in panoramas a few informal landmark names can be useful. We already have Rocky Point....... For me there's only one possible name for the hill at the leftmost visible extremity of Mt Sharp. It's Dumgoyne: ...

Until, and unless, there is an official name that sounds good to me.

If this is the overhead view of Dumgoyne it should remain in view in the N.E. for some time.

Attached Image

I couldn't find a good 2D horizontal view of Dumgoyne so I just marked it on my crop of EdTruthan's anaglyph.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 7 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 678

Better for stitching panoramic, I don't know biggrin.gif I think I'm always like a noob at made it.

Sol 59 & 60 Navcam pan, with rover deck, Mount Sharp and natural sky.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 7 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #59

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Beautiful! Here is a circular version of it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 7 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (stewjack @ Oct 7 2012, 03:42 PM) *
I couldn't find a good 2D horizontal view of Dumgoyne so I just marked it on my crop of EdTruthan's anaglyph.

That's the one. It shows up rather well on this crop from Stu: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=28283

EDIT: Here's another view of the Scottish version showing the "crater rim" beyond: http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/48/...38_bd117844.jpg
And back to Mars: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.