IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL "Drive, drive, drive" toward Glenelg, The scientists (mostly) get the keys - sols 38-56
JRA
post Oct 15 2012, 03:58 AM
Post #541

Group: Members
Member No.: 4825

Stunning photos everyone. The Sol45 MastCam100 w/ extended sky is really cool. Speaking simply as a layman, the area to the left looks extremely interesting (North-west side of Mt. Sharp I think?)

And thanks for the new desktop background Ant103. (the first of the two postcards).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post Oct 15 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #542

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 14 2012, 04:18 AM) *
People were trying to read too much into the composition.... With only a single rock that is not in place, it's way too early to say anything beyond the fact that it has a so far unique composition.

Amen.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Oct 16 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #543

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 16 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #544

Member No.: 13

Wow, fascinating analogues there, Gladstoner.

I was hiking around last weekend at a local wetland park, although with this very dry year the place has been mostly dry from midsummer on. There've been some rains recently and one pond at least had a small amount of water. I took this cell phone pic of some submerged mud cracks:

Attached Image

Apparently, mud cracks can be stable under water. This soil I expect has a large clay content. Maybe if such cracks later filled with sand/dust or the like during a dry interval they would be preserved.

For a random reference (from 1907!) see: http://books.google.com/books?id=a5NOAAAAI...p;q&f=false

Mudcracks may... be regarded as a distinguishing feature, by means of which it may be determined whether formations are fluviatile, lacustrine, estuarine, aeolian, or pertaining to the shallow open sea. In order that mud cracks may be formed, the deposit should originate under very quiet waters, either removed by evaporation or slowly drained away with bottom velocities of less than one-third of a mile an hour. Factors governing the nature of the mud-cracks are the shrinkage nature of the deposit, its porosity, length of period of dessication, temperature of the air. A mud-cracked loam does not easily preserve its detailed surface, except when remaining moist, so that little swelling takes place. A pure clay, slowly subsiding from quiet waters, and wet sufficiently long to become compact upon drying, would retain its mud-cracks upon rewetting either by rain or flood waters. Sandy wash filling the cracks of the previous clay layer would give a permanent record of the mud-cracks.

The review article goes on to discuss arid playa lakes, etc and is quite informative in this context. The referenced article is actually available online at archive.org (p. 430). God, I love the internet (and archive.org).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronald
post Oct 31 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #545

Member No.: 6658

Nice one from sol 53 - right image came down with "some" lag rolleyes.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Nov 6 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #546

Member No.: 6500

Sol 51 - Late Morning Anaglyph
Some long-awaited frames needed to complete the lower tier of the 90 frame MC100 Sol 51 panorama recently arrived, though one stinkin' frame from the lower left hand corner is still AWOL, but since there's not a whole lot going on down there I thought I'd go ahead and knock this out. Since the entire pan was also covered by a full MC34 pairing it just begged for anaglyphing. It's a vertically expanded and better refined version of the previous pano from this post, this time with much more foreground detail. All the MC100 dirt spots have been removed & lateral alignments carefully tweaked in various areas making it a super smooth, 165 degree - 41,414 x 2038 pixel - late morning ride across the landscape...

Click the thumbnail for the Half Sized Version (20712x1020px):

And here's the Full Version -> -> -> Sol51-MC34-and-MC100-Late-Morning-Panorama-Anaglyph.jpg ~ If your browser chokes on the size (mine all do) right click the link and do a "Save As..." & open the downloaded file in your preferred image viewer.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 6 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #547

Member No.: 6725

It is amazing! ohmy.gif
Thank you!

I am ready at any moment to repeat the words of my signature.

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 14 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #548

Member No.: 172

Sol 50 images were all down this WE. Here is a small segment of the panorama as a "poster"...
(smaller size due to today's problem in uploading images more than 400ko in the Forum : I was told that they are working on it...).
Anyway, enjoy ! smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Nov 15 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #549

Member No.: 745

WOW!!!

Thank you for such a beautiful view.

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 20 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #550

Member No.: 678

Rocknest mosaic on Sol 56 (Mastcam34) :

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 4 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #551

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

During yesterday's science sessions, Vasavada said they'd documented 21 pressure dips indicating dust devils, but detected only one of them in imaging. Did we catch that dust devil in any images yet? The only time information I have is "during the first 100 sols." If you do look and find one, post in the relevant thread smile.gif

He also showed some really cool Navcam zenith movies; after "stretching the hell out of them" you could see motion that Vasavada attributed to dust in the atmosphere. Those were lovely.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 4 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #552

Member No.: 152

I haven't seen any DD images posted here. Did he say what the images showed? A DD against the sky, or the effects of wind near the rover? Since they were detected locally at the rover by the pressure dips, there could be surface changes due to wind.

There've been lots of navcam monitoring sequences that show the foreground. If you looked at them very carefully or subtracted them from each other you might see changes in the foreground due to wind (or very faint DDs against the sky, of course).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 5 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #553

Administrator

I've inquired, and been told that the dust devil was observed in a horizon survey from sol 41.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Dec 5 2012, 03:37 AM
Post #554

Member No.: 6725

I made animation of 32 shots on 41 sol. But a dust devils I didn't see. Zoomed 150%, frequency of shots 0,2 s (gif - 6 Mb)

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 5 2012, 04:19 AM
Post #555

Administrator

Thanks for assembling that. I tried averaging all the frames and subtracting the averaged frame from them all to see if I could bring it out, but I'm not seeing anything but noise.

The good news is, it won't be long at all before we have PDS data to work with. I'm told that data from sols 0-90 should be released in February. Not all investigations are expected to meet that deadline, but I think we can count on the engineering camera data being there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.