Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pathfinder site, for comparison with HIRISE
Phil Stooke
post Oct 29 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Presumably we will see a HIRISE image of the Pathfinder site at some point, so I am posting a polar view of the site here for comparison. I started with the Presidential Panorama. There was a slight mis-match between the ends of the pan - as if it had been slightly cropped for posting - which I can't fix, but it doesn't do too much damage to the polar view.

Phil

(PS - no, I can't really spare the time for this but you know how it is)

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 29 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That's a bit freaky, I was thinking "hmm - Pathfinder polar....I'll do that when I've had dinner" about 2 hrs ago.

Also interesting...
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA02652
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA01238
And especially
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00828
and
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA01150

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Oct 29 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Guests

How much bigger is Pathfinder than one of the MER's? Also, the large rock, Yogi, is even visible in the high resolution MOC images, so it should look amazing to HiRISE.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 29 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Founder

The white grid on that image is 4m squares - and the lander would probably just about fit inside one, with the airbags poking out the sides of it. 15 to 20 HiRISE pixels.

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 29 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I have posted it before, but this is a Sojourner polar from Sol 76. If it didn't move much after the lander died, it would be nearby.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 29 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 29 2006, 06:19 PM) *
That's a bit freaky, I was thinking "hmm - Pathfinder polar....I'll do that when I've had dinner" about 2 hrs ago.
Doug

...and if I'm not lost, Doug, you were not even 20 when Pathfinder get to Mars, correct ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astrophil
post Oct 29 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 232

Am I right in thinking that the current state of knowledge about the location is still reflected by this press release?
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/05/09

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 29 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #8

Yes, except that I prefer this slight adjustment, which I think gives a better match to the North Knob and other features.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 29 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I was 18 at the time of the Pathfinder mission. I vividly remember waiting hours to download its "huge" mosaics via my 14.4 modem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2006, 08:13 AM
Post #10

Founder

I was 18, got up early to watch some coverage on BBC 2 here in the UK, and then went to the LIbrary to download the early pans onto a floppy disk, take them home, and print them out on a 24 pin B'n'W dot matrix smile.gif . Then, on a P60 (possibly with a 133MMX overdrive chip, can't remember) - trying to better line up the frames in the mosaics that were released...without much luck. I thikn that was the genesis of my image editing obsession.

Doug

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 5 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #11

Well, I guess this is the next test, Pathfinder's site.

At the top of this thread is my polar panorama of the MPFD site. Then in post 8 I show the object identified by MSSS as the lander, in their press release. That's the point indicated by the convergence of the white lines. My best guess is just a few pixels from that again, a small correction based on the polar pan and azimuths to a few surrounding features.

This story also starts with Tim Parker, who (as Matt Golombek told me) spotted the Twin Peaks on the WSW horizon in the first few frames downlinked on landing day and recognized them from Viking images of the landing ellipse. Based on that identification he predicted that a crater rim would appear on the southeastern horizon when they got more images down, and sure enough there it was. Azimuths to distant hills and small details seen on the rim of that crater confirmed the match.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Dec 5 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 5 2006, 03:57 AM) *
Well, I guess this is the next test, Pathfinder's site.

I think this image(s) will be the most fascinating one of the "known" landing sites. And if, by some miracle, Sojourner is resolvable, I know a few people who are interested where it ended up (e.g., to see if its onboard out-of-comm routines actually worked). Anyone want to start a pool? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Dec 5 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 5 2006, 10:36 AM) *
I think this image(s) will be the most fascinating one of the "known" landing sites. And if, by some miracle, Sojourner is resolvable, I know a few people who are interested where it ended up (e.g., to see if its onboard out-of-comm routines actually worked). Anyone want to start a pool? tongue.gif

You wouldn't be the first, as I understand, there's a pool going around with the MPF people at JPL/NASA as to where it ended up as well.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Dec 5 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 5 2006, 09:10 AM) *
You wouldn't be the first, as I understand, there's a pool going around with the MPF people at JPL/NASA as to where it ended up as well.

Yeah, I know about that pool, too biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 5 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #15

Founder

And they're all OVER the place smile.gif

Personally - my pin is near the fwd egress aid smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.