IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Perseverance Arrival- Media Coverage, Press Conferences, Schedules, Etc.
Sean
post Feb 15 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

Just checked again and displacement is still funky

Browser is Brave V1.20.103 (Feb 10, 2021) on PC / Windows 10

Chrome & Firefox are fine.

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2021, 03:48 PM) *
Yeah - I'm not getting that. What browser are you on, I'll let the team know.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2021, 05:18 PM
Post #17

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Sean @ Feb 15 2021, 08:14 AM) *
Browser is Brave

Yeah - I think Brave has a pretty wide swathe of WebGL issues. I'll fwd this onto the team but I doubt there's much they can do.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Feb 16 2021, 10:20 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 424

Earlier today JPL held a press conference devoted to an Engineering and Tech Overview, which is already available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-M1Jb7FlSg&t=23s

It was good to hear from Jennifer Trosper, who I remember well from the initial period of frequent press conferences after the MER landings.

Emily Lakdawalla tweeted some commentary with links to other resources here: https://twitter.com/elakdawalla/status/1361737533936164864

Today’s briefing is a welcome supplement to the earlier L-30  briefing, which is can be watched here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70rKVFNtV7c

This post has been edited by Tom Tamlyn: Feb 16 2021, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Feb 16 2021, 10:39 PM
Post #19

Emily Lakdawalla just tweeted that she will be covering the landing live on YouTube. https://twitter.com/elakdawalla/status/1361796567385055234

Join me LIVE Feb 18 with @VICENews at 11:45 PT / 14:45 ET / 19:45 UT to witness the landing of @NASAPersevere! I'll share all the detail I can cram into my brain over the next 2 days -- technical geekery you won't get on any other public broadcast.

Before landing I'll have 2 guests. First up will be @LifeAtPurdue's Briony Horgan to talk about @NASAPersevere's science mission.

My second guest on the Feb 18 @VICENews livestream will be @NASAJPL's @YazzieSays [Aaron Yazzie], to talk about @NASAPersevere mechanical engineering, especially the sample-collection plans!

But then once the critical landing events get underway, it'll just be you and me and the *uncommentated,* clean media feed out of @NASAJPL -- I'll shut up when anybody from mission control is speaking, and then I'll repeat and translate in the dead time between announcements.

Additional resource links are in the twitter thread linked above.

The YouTube link for the landing is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woab2wX5Db4

I'm looking forward to this!

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Feb 18 2021, 05:38 AM
Post #20

Today’s press briefing included an interesting exchange about the way the Terrain-Relative Navigation system works.

The excellent Irish reporter Leo Enright, a veteran of many Mars landing press conferences, repeated a question he'd asked at a prior briefing. He has been trying to find out how much "hover time is available to the skycrane," based on the available fuel, if the TRN system made the maximum possible alteration to the spacecraft's descent trajectory, which he had apparently been told would be the horizontal equivalent of "120 football fields."

Allen Chen responded that the notion of hover time was a misconception about the way the system works, because in fact the descent stage is always plummeting towards the surface and never hovers, except at the instant between the rover's touchdown and release of the cables. He said that the system can divert the landing point by as much as 700 meters, that the required maneuver would take place immediately after backshell separation, and that a maximum diversion would add no more than 3-4 seconds to the descent time and consume about 20 kg additional fuel.

The discussion takes place at ~52.30 in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6__cLGkYw

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 18 2021, 06:15 AM
Post #21

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I saw that exchange too, I think what what is meant is the map is 120 football fields wide, but the TRN will land on the nearest safe spot, unless the entry is way off they won't be diverting 120 football fields or even 700 meters.

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Feb 18 2021, 03:45 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4972

"Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Launching July 2020 "
That is one outdated category description

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2021, 05:32 PM
Post #23

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

NASA live coverage just began, and EDL thread now live here.

GO PERSEVERANCE!!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Feb 18 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #24

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

Yeap. Go girl !!!

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
ap0s
post Feb 18 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7005

What would be the best option fo a technical stream without any talking heads? Just straight video from mission control with comms would be ideal.

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Feb 18 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 6237

From https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive [all times EST]
Feb. 18, Thursday
12:30 p.m.—Perseverance Mars Rover landing day livestream for all students
2:15 p.m.—NASA will provide multiple feeds of live landing coverage of the Perseverance Mars Rover, leading up to the rover's landing at approximately 3:55 p.m. EST.

5:30 p.m. (no earlier than)—Perseverance Mars Rover post-landing coverage

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 18 2021, 06:52 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4270

Where can I find a tracker that tells me (to at least the nearest 100 km) the distance between Perseverance and Mars? The website I was following seems to have removed it sometime in the last hour.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Feb 18 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1602

Go Perseverance! We are millions behind you!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #29

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Reminder: Let's move the discussion to the EDL thread. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Feb 18 2021, 10:13 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7185

Will the post-landing press conference come up soon? - Am watching on https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#media but not sure if it will show there...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.