Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Here are some reprocessed P11 images of Saturn. I've used parts of different images to complete the missing ring edges on some images.

The image for 1979-09-01 is a mosaic of several images obtained that day, and suffers from changes in the spacecraft viewing angle.

I've made an effort to colect all the images and information avaliable on the net, but not much is avaliable with correct dates and satellite identification and I might have got some things wrong smile.gif

When I have the time, I'll post some more Pioneer reprocessed images biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Apr 10 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Great work! biggrin.gif

This has to be my favourite view of Saturn taken by Pioneer 11. Visible for the very first time are the four inner ringlets of the C-ring:

Attached Image

Ian.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 10 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Looking good!

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Apr 10 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Ian R @ Apr 10 2006, 10:13 PM) *
Great work! biggrin.gif

This has to be my favourite view of Saturn taken by Pioneer 11. Visible for the very first time are the four inner ringlets of the C-ring:

Ian.

Well, that image is part of the last mosaic wink.gif
Here's my processed version:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 11 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Here is a similar view, from part of frame F6, which is from a combination of scanned data and the digital fragment we worked on from a portion of this image, used to enhance the profile of the rings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Apr 26 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 722

Great work, all. smile.gif

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
GregM
post May 5 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 175

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 6 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #8

Guests

Great to see some of those 30-year old images being 'reprocessed' ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 6 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 03:11 AM) *
Been monkeying around with bad internet images for a few years, but never really happy with the results. Sure wish I could get my hands on original digital data, or at least full res uncompressed scans of original hardcopies.

That is a superb result. Based on the experience with the digital fragments we have found, I don't know that the improvement will be all that great, though it would still be nice to have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post May 7 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 04:11 AM) *
Been monkeying around with bad internet images for a few years, but never really happy with the results. Sure wish I could get my hands on original digital data, or at least full res uncompressed scans of original hardcopies.

If your search the Internet you can find several versions of the same image. By averaging those together you can get rid of most of the scanning and compression artefacts ;-) Not as "clean" as digital uncompressed data but better than nothing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 7 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 04:11 AM) *

I just wish that Pioneer 11's trajectory had allowed images of the sunlit side of the rings - that'd have made a big difference aesthetically, and perhaps allowed an early glimpse of the spokes...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 16 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #12

I have updated my site with a Pioneer 11 page.

It is still a work in progress.

Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 16 2007, 04:16 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Feb 15 2007, 07:51 PM) *
I have updated my site with a Pioneer 11 page.

It is still a work in progress.

Ted

Awesome! Thanks for this.

As I've mentioned more times than I need to, I have a real nostalgia for this mission. I remember a worse version of these images on the cover of Newsweek, and the ghostly nature of these images, made stranger for the reverse lighting effect on the rings, gave me a sense that no mission since has of the probe that made the trip being in a strange faraway place. It also finished the initial reconnaisance of the planets known to the ancients. Pardon me before I get choked up...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 16 2007, 04:41 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Good memories of just before 1 Sept 1979, Ted...thanks! smile.gif

I remember Titan's rather striking coloration in these images, but can't recall if anyone at the time was wondering aloud whether its atmosphere was as substantial as we now know it to be. Sagan's 1973(?) paper "The Atmosphere of Titan" did explore that possibility, among others. Prevailing opinion then seemed to favor about 20 mb surface pressure...anybody remember anything different?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 16 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15

I also remember Pioneer 11's Saturn flyby quite well, and I have to admit that my reaction was more one of disappointment. I had really looked forward to seeing the first images of Saturn's rings "in all their glory" from a space probe, and when I saw them, they were poor-resolution, dim, shadow-side images that made me feel I had seen better versions of Saturn from Earth-based telescopic observations.

I didn't see what I *really* wanted to see until the Voyagers arrived several years later. Voyager is still the great wave of enlightenment of the outer solar system, for me.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.