85 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
Hungry4info
post Dec 18 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #376

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

MahFL, the reference about Kepler is at like the last paragraph. Just search (Ctrl + F) "Kepler" and it takes you right to it ^.^

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Dec 18 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #377

Member No.: 4168

You're correct, it's not. But it does have this:

Separately, NASA's Kepler Mission will present the first results of its planet search at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Washington in January. "[The Kepler team] has already submitted 28 scientific papers based on 43 days of data or less," says MIT planet theorist Sara Seager. "It's going to be a big year for planets."

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Dec 18 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #378

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Ah in my unfamiliarity with that website I did not notice the + sign.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 19 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #379

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 18 2009, 03:35 PM) *
That link does not seem to be about Kepler and 28 papers......

Interesting though about the red dwarf watery planet. Will Kepler also be looking for some of these?

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Dec 19 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #380

Member No.: 745

The real planetary scientists here may have something to say about this, but I would bet that Thalassan type planets [named for the fictional waterworld of Clarke's "Songs of Distant Earth] will be quite prevalent. Kepler may well find many of them in a habitable zone.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 19 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #381

Yes, and since they would have shorter orbital periods they could dominate the initial findings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 19 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #382

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Nov 5 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Second, I've defined five criteria:

A) Mass
cool.gif Radius
C) Mean surface temperature
D) Breathable atmosphere
E) Liquid water

I wonder if Kepler or other observations would be able to address criterion C if it found a Venus like planet.

Another criterion could be density (more closely constraining mass and radius) to look for rocky planets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Dec 19 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #383

Kepler will be able to tell us how far away the planet is from its star and we will have very good measures of its energy output. It will be easy to figure out how much energy is delivered to the planet and how that energy is distributed. Spectral evidence of the presence of an atmosphere will probably have to come from the larger scopes.

Density is calculated from mass and radius. Mass is determined by the orbit. The reason they are suggest that this new planet is a water world is from the calculations of its density, showing that it was made up of a lot of water. I am pretty sure that Kepler will constrain the radius of exoplanets more precisely than any Earth based telescope.

Any planet with a lot of water that is within its star's habitable zone, or closer, will have a surface that is liquid water. (I can imagine an "ice cap" forming on the anti-stellar side of a tidally locked world, but that will depend on how well the atmosphere distributes the heat.) I'd be really surprised if these kind of worlds were not very common among the Earth-sized planets that Kepler finds.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 19 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #384

The tricky part of the Venus scenario is that there are two factors that add on to a first-order temperature calculation. First its high albedo should make it cooler than "expected" though placing it within habitable surface conditions. Second and more importantly its greenhouse effect makes it very much hotter as a net result. This type of thing might be more difficult to infer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Dec 19 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #385

Modeling the atmospheres and the effects of them on these "hot" planets is and will be tricky. Well beyond my abilities. I think that why we will need to get spectra of the worlds that Kepler discovers with larger scopes. Ultimately, this will be an important job for the JWST.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Dec 20 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #386

Member No.: 4168

QUOTE (Ron Hobbs @ Dec 19 2009, 12:44 PM) *
The reason they are suggest that this new planet is a water world is from the calculations of its density, showing that it was made up of a lot of water.

Rubbing alcohol has a density 90% that of H2O. How can we be so sure GJ 1214b isn't a "rubbing alcohol world"? Honest question; I don't know the answer.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 20 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #387

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Probability, I'd say. H2O is a far more cosmically abundant compound than any alcohol...Occam's Razor.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 20 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #388

There's a short article in the January 2010 Scientific American (p. 26) where they discuss the possibility of carbon planets. They could be made of carbon or related compounds instead of oxygen rich compounds. Maybe Kepler will find some of these?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Dec 20 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #389

Member No.: 1086

QUOTE (scalbers @ Dec 20 2009, 08:57 AM) *
There's a short article in the January 2010 Scientific American (p. 26) where they discuss the possibility of carbon planets. They could be made of carbon or related compounds instead of oxygen rich compounds. Maybe Kepler will find some of these?

Sure it might -- but without spectroscopy it will be hard to tell which ones are Carbon-worlds and which are Oxygen worlds! The densities aren't distinct enough to allow Kepler to differentiate.

- Jason

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Dec 21 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #390

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (Ron Hobbs @ Dec 19 2009, 11:31 AM) *
. . . I would bet that Thalassan type planets [named for the fictional waterworld of Clarke's "Songs of Distant Earth] will be quite prevalent.

Thalassa was an ancient greek water goddess, and her name gets used a lot for things of this sort. For example, the ancient supercontinent, Pangaea, was surrounded by a world ocean, Panthalassa. I suspect that's where Clarke got his title. I don't think it works the other way around! ;-)

But I definitely agree that I don't know of any mechanism to soak up excess water from such a world. There may be a very narrow margin between a world with too little water and one with oceans a hundred miles deep, and the odds on getting a world that's "just right" may be fairly low. I don't know of anything planned that could answer this, though.

--Greg

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.