55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ingenuity- Mars 2020 Helicopter, Deployment & Operations
Art Martin
post Mar 14 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 2455

Here's some comments I found on the Ingenuity press kit regarding the 60 days that had been used earlier and more info about the 5 flights. Bolding is by me.

"Once a suitable site to deploy the helicopter is found, the rover’s Mars Helicopter Delivery System will shed the landing cover, rotate the helicopter to a legs-down configuration, and gently drop Ingenuity on the surface in the first few months after landing. Throughout the helicopter’s commissioning and flight test campaign, the rover will assist in communications back and forth from Earth. The rover team also plans to collect some images of Ingenuity."

That seems to indicate that the deployment and test could occur at any time up to 60 days.

"Ingenuity will attempt up to five test flights within a 30-Martian-day (31-Earth-day) demonstration window."

That's fascinating that they believe Ingenuity has the potential to last up to 30 SOLs. If tests go well I'm sure those 5 will get done as early in that window as possible to ensure that any early failures from the cold nights don't limit the number done. If you get them all done in a couple of weeks and the thing is still going strong I can't believe there's not the potential for extending past 5.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Mar 14 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #17

An update. Just saw an answer to a Twitter post from the "rover" asking when deployment would be and it said there'd be a couple of weeks of system testing first. When in doubt, ask the source....

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 14 2021, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6540

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Mar 14 2021, 11:24 AM) *
The rover team also plans to collect some images of Ingenuity.

Ingenuity has a 13 MP color camera and 0.5 MP black and white navigation camera.

So along with images of the terrain from altitude, I hope we get some images of Perseverance from Ingenuity as well.

Attached Image

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25530/mars-...ding-press-kit/

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 14 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 14 2021, 09:53 AM) *
So along with images of the terrain from altitude, I hope we get some images of Perseverance from Ingenuity as well.

If you read the press kit, you'll see that for safety reasons the helicopter never gets anywhere close to the rover (130ish meters), so this is not very likely, considering that the max altitude is stated as 5 meters.

[edit: I don't know how wide the FOV of the "horizon facing" color camera is or how it's pointed, so maybe there is some possibility it can catch the rover.]

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 14 2021, 07:38 PM
Post #20

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Per the press kit the expected effective radio range is 1000m, so I wonder if the Ingenuity XM plan is to send her out ahead of the expected rover path as a scout after accomplishing the core tech demo objectives as a follow-on operational utility test. Not sure how much that might slow down Perseverance, though, which has its own minimum mission objectives to meet.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 14 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 5221

Even if relaying to and from the rover has no negative effects on the science mission, in terms of data and planning time, the availability of personnel (and funding!) is another potential bottleneck on further flights.
But I just don't see a perfectly functional independent spacecraft being abandoned just like that (think of the negative PR alone! People grow attached to these things....)

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 14 2021, 08:22 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 14 2021, 01:07 PM) *
If you read the press kit, you'll see that for safety reasons the helicopter never gets anywhere close to the rover (130ish meters), so this is not very likely, considering that the max altitude is stated as 5 meters.

[edit: I don't know how wide the FOV of the "horizon facing" color camera is or how it's pointed, so maybe there is some possibility it can catch the rover.]

The safety of the rover must be the primary consideration.

I found the following for the Ingenuity color camera, called RTE:

"Return-to-Earth (RTE) Camera. This is a rolling shutter, high-resolution 4208 by 3120 pixel sensor (Sony IMX214) with a Bayer color filter array mated with an O-film optics module. This camera has a FOV of 47 deg(horizontal) by 47 deg (vertical) with an average IFOV of 0.26 mRad/pixel...pointed approximately 22 deg below the horizon"

https://rotorcraft.arc.nasa.gov/Publication...AA2018_0023.pdf

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 14 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 14 2021, 09:22 PM) *
4208 by 3120 pixel sensor... FOV of 47 deg(horizontal) by 47 deg (vertical)

There seems to be an error in that document, unless the camera has weird optics that compress horizontally to give a bad aspect ratio.

Anyway, those specs give a rover size of something on the order of 100 pixels at 130 metres. So if it's in the FOV, we'll see something.

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Mar 15 2021, 02:11 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 8974

The NASA Radioisotope Power Systems web pages have a very detailed 3d model of the rover.

It looks like a full engineering drawing and if you look at the belly has both Ingenuity stowed away in its protective shell and also the sampling system cover which was just dropped unceremoniously.

This gave me a much better understanding of the current location and orientation of the helicopter.

Looking at the web page in detail, it looks like the 3d model is fbx converted to lzf compressed PLY format, for which there is a parser to extract triangles, normals and colors. This seems to be generated by a JPL protospace system which in turns uses Hololens for AR.

--------------------
--
Andreas Plesch, andreasplesch at gmail dot com

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 15 2021, 12:59 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Mar 14 2021, 09:11 PM) *
This gave me a much better understanding of the current location and orientation of the helicopter.

Here's an image of the helicopter attached to the rover at the Kennedy Space Center on April 6, 2020:

Attached Image

NASA/JPL-Caltech

An animated gif showing the testing of the deployment sequence:

Attached Image

NASA/JPL-Caltech/Lockheed Martin

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 17 2021, 08:38 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5221

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasa-to-host-...icopter-flights

Telecon on March 23rd about the chosen flight location. Looks like the first week of April for flight.

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Mar 19 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #27

This just came up on Twitter. Things seem to pointing to a few days drive to the selected site and dropping the protective cover. Then about a week of deployment activities.

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/13...8641884160?s=20

+Quote Post
MrNatural
post Mar 20 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 6719

QUOTE (Marvin @ Mar 14 2021, 06:53 PM) *
Ingenuity has a 13 MP color camera and 0.5 MP black and white navigation camera.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25530/mars-...ding-press-kit/

I wonder how much of a dust cloud it will kick up and how much that will interfere with its imagery. I guess we will find out, but I am not setting my expectations too high.

+Quote Post
Mogster
post Mar 20 2021, 01:06 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 4033

QUOTE (MrNatural @ Mar 20 2021, 10:52 AM) *
I wonder how much of a dust cloud it will kick up and how much that will interfere with its imagery. I guess we will find out, but I am not setting my expectations too high.

Not Mars but Nevada.

https://youtu.be/ojZeso5tVYk

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 21 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 497

Debris shield dropped.
Attached Image

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.