7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno Perijove 57, December 30, 2023
Kevin Gill
post Dec 31 2023, 07:22 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 7220

Another go using PJ57-23 with decorrelated colors and darkness boosting. I'm so happy the camera performed as well as it did and am loving the results that everyone is coming up with :-)

Io - PJ57-23 - Decorrelated Colors

Cylindrical Map:

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nahúm
post Dec 31 2023, 07:38 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 6562

QUOTE (StargazeInWonder @ Dec 31 2023, 06:40 PM) *
There's some detail around Loki in the color that implies changes, too, although to be absolutely certain we'd have to check against differences in filters.

Of course, mine was a quick comparison and it clearly needs a thorough alignment and analysis but both images were compared using the blue bands, so there might be some changes after all!

+Quote Post
john_s
post Dec 31 2023, 08:40 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 117

The color around Loki is certainly fascinating. These are, I think, the highest resolution color images of Loki ever obtained (the nearest competition being the Voyager 1 approach 4-frame color mosaic). Same goes for the terrain further north, of course.

John

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Dec 31 2023, 09:37 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 8250

Kicked off the processing pipeline this morning, expecting to be greeted by PJ56 quality images that were going to require a lot of TLC, and gasped when this came up...

Attached Image

A fine ChristMSSS present for us all.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Dec 31 2023, 10:05 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 8250

And Exaggerated Color/Contrast version
Attached Image

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Dec 31 2023, 10:37 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 9140

There are at least three (apparent) calderas in the imagery that show a diffuse, reddish coloration that trails off to the west (from this view, clockwise). Is this…

• Evidence of a Coriolis effect on plumes?
• Evidence of something of a faint exospheric wind, or something to do with the jovian EM environment?
• Purely coincidence? (n=3, not much to write home about… and perhaps there are also contrary cases to be pointed out)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 1 2024, 02:49 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 184

Here are a some 4K maps using one image from volcanopele and one from Kevin Gill, first before:

https://stevealbers.net/albers/sos/jupiter/...b_cyl_in_4k.png

now with the new images added:

https://stevealbers.net/albers/sos/jupiter/...cyl_2023_4k.png

I wonder if the changes at Loki represent a switch in the location of active plumes or simply deposits? Happy New Year to you all!

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 1 2024, 05:47 AM
Post #53

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Preliminary versions of maps. No photometric correction, and I won't want to average the final product, but the Jupiter shine product is probably final:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 1 2024, 02:59 PM
Post #54

A blinking animation between the second map I posted above with Jason's nighttime map (some filtering applied):

https://stevealbers.net/albers/sos/jupiter/..._night_roll.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jan 1 2024, 04:23 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 4972

The Jupitershine area really improves coverage on almost the entire area of that large northern hemisphere low resolution area. I really hope we can get further processing of that.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Jan 1 2024, 04:55 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 9140

The ideal processing of the Jupitershine areas might benefit from applying an asymmetrical filter to the pixels. Low signal to noise produces a speckling effect which is clearly an artifact and brings out some hot pixels that over-respond, and this makes the colors garish on a very small scale. Smoothing out the values in each filter to bring the hot ones down to the local median might improve this greatly.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jan 1 2024, 05:15 PM
Post #57

Fyi I had applied the noise reduction filter in GIMP with a setting of 12. This may be related to what StargazeinWonder mentions, and would work better if applied to the original image prior to reprojecting onto the cylindrical projection.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jan 1 2024, 05:16 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 351

Slightly off topic, but since this is the current active Juno forum: I understand that the Juno extended mission is expected to end by September 2025. Is this driven by a decision to dispose of the orbiter (presumably into Jupiter)? Or is this a current funding deadline with another extension possible?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 1 2024, 05:37 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (vjkane @ Jan 1 2024, 09:16 AM) *
I understand that the Juno extended mission is expected to end by September 2025. Is this driven by a decision to dispose of the orbiter (presumably into Jupiter)? Or is this a current funding deadline with another extension possible?

I thought it was stated somewhere (OPAG?) that disposal was no longer required with the current orbit, so I suspect it's the latter. Depending on ongoing spacecraft health and funding availability, of course.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 1 2024, 05:58 PM
Post #60

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (scalbers @ Jan 1 2024, 10:15 AM) *
Fyi I had applied the noise reduction filter in GIMP with a setting of 12. This may be related to what StargazeinWonder mentions, and would work better if applied to the original image prior to reprojecting onto the cylindrical projection.

I'll look into some post-processing steps today. My first thought was running each mosaic through a median filter in ISIS prior to stacking.

EDIT: really not liking the results. The red filter, while noisy, has pretty good detail so I really don't want to smooth that. I suspect that using the noise filter in ISIS would help a lot, but I am not wanting to dive into yet another research topic today after spending all day yesterday trying to wrangle the geometry...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.