Juramike
post Jun 19 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #46

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Launch video (lotsa rocketcam with voiceover + sound from ground) on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5t4de6jjI...feature=related

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jun 19 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 3299

About the speed trayectory of LRO/LCROSS from Earth toward Moon, I am still trying to learn and understand its evolution speed. However, I know that the minimum velocity required to escape from Earth gravity is around 11.6 kp/s and I have noticed thru the other source of information that the spacecraft was reducing its speed from 5 kp/s at about 35,000 km from Earth, 4kp/s even further from Earth. Then I tought that the LRO/LCROSS didn't reach the 11.6 kp/s to escape from Earth gravity in its way toward to Moon but at lower speed...

Then I realized the spacecraft speed will be reducing to the minimum speed until the Selene gravity captures it.

Is that my tought correct? Thanks for any comments.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 19 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Jun 19 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Is that my tought correct? Thanks for any comments.

Mostly, but when the spacecraft gets closer to Selene, it's gravity will cause LCROSS and LRO to accelerate (as they're then falling toward Selene).

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 20 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #49

Guests

According to NASA-Twitter, the midcourse correction burn was completed successfully. Also they have switched on the Russian instrument - LEND.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jun 20 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jun 19 2009, 02:01 PM) *
Mostly, but when the spacecraft gets closer to Selene, it's gravity will cause LCROSS and LRO to accelerate (as they're then falling toward Selene).

Thanks, so, the conclusion is that the spacecraft LRO/LCROSS didn't reach the speed of Earth's escape gravity since its speed is already decreasing on its way toward to the Moon.

When the spacecraft will start to pick up the speed? I tought it would be when the spacecraft is already traveled 5/6 of Earth-Moon distance (320,000 km)?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 20 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Jun 20 2009, 06:22 PM) *
LRO/LCROSS didn't reach the speed of Earth's escape gravity since its speed is already decreasing on its way toward to the Moon.

The highest speed it had was just when the Centaur shut down after lunar injection. It was then at 300 km altitude and at that point the escape velocity would be slightly lower than the quoted one of 11.2 km/s (which assumes you start from the ground). To reach moon you need something close to that, Apollo lunar flights for example ended burns at roughly the same altitude and at that time were going at 10.8 km/s and I assume that's roughly the same velocity LRO/LCROSS had.

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jun 20 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 627

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jun 18 2009, 05:50 PM) *
That rocket cam shot rising through the clouds was awesome!

Awesome indeed.

Have to admit I am getting all Moonie and nostalgic for the 60's unmanned missions that preceeded APOLLO.
And APOLLO.

LRO/LCROSS are going to be very cool missions...

NASA LRO Webcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruN1iqeorw...292&index=7

LRO data will be made available to Google Moon. LCROSS October impact imaging data will be supplied live - like Ranger 9
in 1965.

GO LRO for LOI!

GO LCROSS... long wait til October...

Craig

+Quote Post
zeBeamer
post Jun 20 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 4830

Hello guys,
thought I would register now that LRO has launched successfully wink.gif

Another cool video is on ULA's website (http://www.ulalaunch.com/)
direct link: http://www.ulalaunch.com/launch/LRO/LROLCR...hHighlights.wmv

I was lucky enough to be invited to the launch, and see it!
One of the pictures I took :

By the way, LRO has a blog with many updates about how it's doing and what's next:
http://lroupdate.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 20 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #54

Guests

Great!

I'm a little worried about the power drop. It's insignificant, but anyway..

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 20 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #55

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The one thing I'm looking forward to more than anything else? Matching LROC images to the Soviet era map of the Lunokhod 1 route, to locate the old rover and its landing stage.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 20 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 20 2009, 04:14 PM) *
The one thing I'm looking forward to more than anything else? Matching LROC images to the Soviet era map of the Lunokhod 1 route, to locate the old rover and its landing stage.

To what precision are these landing sites known? Will it be a problem for LRO?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 20 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #57

We don't know exactly where it is - that's why i'm looking forward to it. There is no doubt about where the Apollos and most Surveyors are, but the Lunas are not precisely located. Luna 9 and 13 will be very hard to find, with tens of images needed to cover the uncertainty ellipses. And if they are imaged, they may not be very easy to identify among the rocks. But for Lunokhod 1, there is a candidate site about 5 km from the tracking position which might be it. Only one or a few images would be needed to search for it.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jun 20 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #58

Guests

Just to compare - we still haven't located Mars Polar Lander, Beagle 2, Mars 6 and Mars 3. I expect we'll be searching Luna 9, 13 for years.

+Quote Post
zeBeamer
post Jun 21 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 4830

the positions of Luna 17 and 21 (or rather, their Lunokhod rovers) are fairly well known, from Lunar Laser Ranging (mostly used to monitor the position of the Apollo retro-reflectors). I think Luna 21 is the least constrained of the two.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 21 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #60

No, it's the other way round, though some web sources have it wrong. Lunokhod 1 has not been detected with the laser since early in the mission, in 1970. Lunokhod 2 gives a weak reflection but can be used today. A search for Lunokhod 1 is being undertaken through JPL but the full lat-long-range space has not been sampled and could take quite a while, even assuming the reflector is usable. There is at least a 5 km uncertainty on Lunokhod 1's location, but as I said there is a candidate location (made by matching the Lunokhod 1 route map to the best images of the site, which are not very good). I hope the candidate position is correct, because I suggested it, but wherever it is it will be good to have it at last.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.