Reply to this topicStart new topic
AmateurSpaceImages.com, A site to gather great amateur-processed space images
elakdawalla
post Dec 14 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I can't believe I haven't started a dedicated thread on this before now!! I wanted to open a discussion on the Planetary Society's plans to develop a website called AmateurSpaceImages.com, a place that will collect amateur-processed space images into one place that is easy to browse and search for great pictures, and from which you'll be able to share them easily via social networks. The organization of the site will be based on Photojournal, which is itself based on the way the PDS structures space data -- all images will be filed under the "target" and "mission" and "instrument," plus there will be image titles, captions, and correct credits; plus there'll be tags and a search feature. The site is currently under development and is planned for launch early next year (hopefully March, if the schedule doesn't slip). We're now raising funds from the community to support its development.

Some of you have been emailing me privately with questions; I think it'd be neater (and less effort for me smile.gif ) to have that discussion in the open, on this thread. If for some reason you'd like your question to be anonymous, you can email me and I'll post it here. Since this is a website we are creating especially for the community that has grown up in and around UMSF, I hope you will participate in its formation!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 14 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Since I'm one of the private e-mailers mentioned above (and a potential financial backer), I'll post my questions out in the open:

How will the images be selected?  (open submission, single admin, or
panel of judges, or invite only?)

Submitted only from UMSF members? Or non-UMSF members as well?

Is the initial start up fee ($5400) a one-time deal?  Or will there
be an annual maintenance fee as well?

Finally, how will this be significantly different from a flickr group pool?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 14 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Administrator

QUOTE (Juramike @ Dec 14 2010, 01:01 PM) *
How will the images be selected?  (open submission, single admin, or panel of judges, or invite only?)

Anyone will be able to submit an image through a form, from which they'll also be asked to provide information about the image including title, caption with information about what processing was done, data processing credit, and information on target/instrument etc.

Submissions will be vetted by a moderation team that will likely overlap significantly with, but will not be identical to, the unmannedspaceflight.com moderation team. It would be better if we had a few more moderators lined up -- please send me an email or PM to volunteer. Only one moderator need OK an image. Our goal is to make a pretty large image database that will be easy to search; moderators will be instrumental in making sure that images are correctly tagged and credited before they are allowed to go live.

Submitted only from UMSF members? Or non-UMSF members as well?

Anybody! AmateurSpaceImages is a project inspired by UMSF and both will be financially administered by the Planetary Society; they're regarded as being part of the same project. However, there will be no direct relationship between UMSF membership and AmateurSpaceImages submission (so I hope that some of the good image processors who've gotten booted out of this website for rules violations will share their stuff at AmateurSpaceImages). Also, the Society will use the same server to host UMSF and AmateurSpaceImages.

Is the initial start up fee ($5400) a one-time deal?  Or will there be an annual maintenance fee as well?

That start-up fee is a one-time deal for design and development. There will be costs associated with the hosting but they'll be an increment on top of what we pay already for the dedicated UMSF server (we just need to expand the storage space). Next year when I pass the hat for UMSF I'll be raising funds for both.

Finally, how will this be significantly different from a flickr group pool?

Mainly in the site's organization around space image targets, instruments, and missions, which will hopefully make it easy to browse as well as search because of its specificity to the subject matter. Also I wanted a destination, a dedicated gallery. And I wanted it to be moderated, both to establish a quality bar and to make sure that credits are correct -- both for the data and for the processing. The tools for social network sharing will generate code that includes a credit line. I'm very insistent about this part because I know how sensitive both the data producers and the data processors are about making sure that credit is given where it's due.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 14 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 4489

sounds good as I might be one of the content contributors ( not financial - unemployed at this time)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 14 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Another question asked of me through Facebook: "Are the images, which are potentially copyrightable, to be offered on the basis of being works of art which the originators retain the rights for, or is the intent to have them placed in the Public Domain, presumably with the approval of the artist?"

My plan, unless I hear from a lot of really good image processors who would not share their images under these conditions, is to post them under a Creative Commons Attribition-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 15 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4489

as for licenses i have always used the orig. 90% of the time i use images from PDS
and if not pds then nasa and jpl and U of A for hires and just bring along what the original was.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Dec 15 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3511

Will there be a place for those afraid of(or new to)processing such images, so as to brush up on skills?
Best wishes on the new site smile.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Dec 15 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

I have a number of such images, however most I would contribute only with my copyright notice visible. In cases where a significant addition to the original has been done this is appropriate. The people behind many of the images seen here deserve to have a chance to benefit from their work, and a copyright notice provides more notice on behalf of the artist. I suggest then that both copyrighted and works released to a Creative Commons status be accommodated. The condition 'Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes. ' seems compatible with this, as both require permission for such use.

Don

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 15 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #9

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

I agree with Don on this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 15 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #10

Administrator

Don and Ted, just to be clear, this would mean there would not be a creative commons license on the works, but only a copyright notice?

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 15 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #11

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Emily,
Would posters such as Astro0 and Stu's be welcome on the site as well? Or my New Horizons Jupiter Flyby Anniversary?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Dec 15 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #12

' just to be clear, this would mean there would not be a creative commons license on the works, but only a copyright notice?;

Yes.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 15 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5458

Forgive my ignorance, but outside of photographing objects with your own camera, is it even possible to copyright images you have only composited from something such as the PDS? Maybe I'm just confused and assuming most are not talking about composite images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 15 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 197

Yes. In general, under U.S. law both copyright and patents maybe held by someone who makes improvements to a previous copyright or patent.

Normally it's a risky thing to invest a whole lot of time and money in someone else's patent or copyright because while they would have to pay you to use or sell the improvements, you would not be able to use the newer combined invention or art without the approval of the original copyright or patent holder. In the case of NASA images however where there is a blanket copyright release for most uses, there exist very few underlying copyright restrictions for the second artist. It therefore makes sense to go ahead and improve on those images for fame, fortune or entertainment.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Dec 15 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #15

'Is it even possible to copyright images you have only composited from something such as the PDS?'

If one is doing little or nothing to rework a Public Domain image, I would say no, but once it is significantly modified and made into something refined, restored etc. It becomes a new creation that would not have happened without the work involved, and is thus the intellectual property of the creator.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.