Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 12 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #47

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Yeah, sorry. I had to redirect my attention to our main site redesign. It's going to be awesome though, and the new site will actually feature such amazing 21st century innovations as KEYWORDS on blog posts, so it'll be easy to find posts containing amateur-processed images there! (In case my tone is hard to read, the lack of keywords or really any kind of metadata on blog posts at all has been driving me crazy for five years.)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Apr 13 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #48

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 12 2012, 05:25 PM) *
.../...It's going to be awesome though, and the new site will actually feature such amazing 21st century innovations as KEYWORDS on blog posts, so it'll be easy to find posts containing amateur-processed images there! .../...

Great Emily ! A new site and more attractive means more members for TPS... Meaning also more actions to foster space exploration... "Vive la Planetary Society !" of which we are so proud of being members (since 1982 for me), thanks also to its nice team and to this your good work of our beloved "Bloguette par Excellence" ! (in French)
Congratulations Emily for all you are doing for us and TPS wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 13 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 682

I fully second this...and not only because I'm French wink.gif (1989 for me. I mean, member biggrin.gif )
And you're rigth Olivier: "blogUette"

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 21 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Hi all. To gloss over an eventful few months in a few words, I've ditched the programmer and am just about ready to launch amateurspaceimages.com as a part of the Society's new website, which, as it developed, had pretty much all the capability I needed built right in. It'll be based on the functionality of the Space Images section of the site -- browse that to enjoy the keyword searching and nice page-filling display of huge images -- but I've added in some extra bits and pieces like authorship of images (which means you'll be able to pull up a dynamic list of your own images that have been posted on the site). There are a couple of small pieces that I have to wrap up, but it should be ready for prime time before long. I am posting now because I am finally ready to make a call to people who produce a lot of images to help me populate the site. When the site goes live there will be a submission form to upload one image at a time (and of course a moderation process) but I can also perform a batch import of properly prepared images and metadata.

So if you would like to see your work included at amateurspaceimages.com, here is what you have to do. It is a bit of work to do this preparation and I hope not to have to do it all myself.

In a nutshell: For each image there needs to be a line in a spreadsheet or CSV file containing metadata.

Image files: -- JPG, GIF, or PNG format, any file size is fine. Best way to send lots of files is probably something like Dropbox or Google Drive.

Image metadata

Fill out attached spreadsheet with one line for each image submission. There is an example line in the spreadsheet to help you.

Attached File  amateur_image_metadata.txt ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 449

Explanations of the columns:

title: A few-word title for the image, used for display on website and for image alt text

filename: image filename

photo_credit: full credit line for the image

data_date (optional but desirable): date the original data was acquired. It's okay to use either Y/M/D, M/D/Y, or D/M/Y, as long as it's obvious to me which one you're using.

description: Paragraph used as caption and as short description in search results. 1 or 2 sentences. For usefulness in search, make sure it mentions the target and the spacecraft, good also to mention processor (you) by name.

body: Optional (but HIGHLY DESIRABLE) extended description of the image and how it was processed. If you've written a blog entry about the image, you could paste that here. Use basic HTML markup for formatting (<p>, <a>, <em>, <strong> all ok). Links to original data sources would be great. It's also fine to put here a teaser and link to something about the image on your own blog or website or, for that matter, on this forum. Or include none of this.

Finally: Anyone who has images on the site will also have a profile page that will index your image submissions. Here's a good example of an existing profile, of Ted Stryk. Please send me text and a 233x233 pixel photo to use for your profile!

I am hoping to make this live before I leave for vacation in July. I have enough images to go live with now, and can add batch submissions afterward. But the more, the merrier! Bring them on!!!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 30 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #51

Administrator

Okay...it's been a busy week, and I've learned a lot about how to use (and, ahem, how not to use) our new site development tools.

This is still rough, but most of the elements are there:

Space Imaging

That page has links to all the other pieces -- a landing page for amateur images with easy one-click keyword searches, an archive by date submitted, a submission form, information on copyright and image credits, and a VERY incomplete and preliminary list of people whose images have appeared/will appear on the site. There's still much to be done, but I'm going on vacation for two weeks starting Tuesday and, realistically, I won't get a lot more done before then. I would love for some people to try out the submission form. Or, of course, to send me batch submissions! I've removed all the image resizing requirements above -- just send me original pictures and I'll handle resizing.

Please! Submit images!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 30 2012, 06:41 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 542

Massive congratulations on the launch. For a start it's nice at last to see the faces of some of the people whose work brings us so much pleasure and enlightenment.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 30 2012, 08:02 AM
Post #53

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Looks great, Emily! smile.gif

Gotta get off my shiny metal butt & learn how to do image processing. (Paradoxical since technically all I am is a processor, but whatever...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 30 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 5221

Might want to change the title of the thread; there's not much at the actual domain...
Site looks great though!

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 30 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 542

As a mere spectator I have no images to contribute, so the 'submit images' page is not for me. I hope it's OK to post here ideas about things worthy of inclusion. There is so much, but there are two things in particular I'd like to mention right away. The first I have always rated as one of the best collaborative images to come from this forum. No archive would be complete without it:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=3324 My current favourite version is post 21 there, from dilo: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&id=8019

The other is the work of Rene Pascal (briefly RPascal here) who was among the first to assemble panoramas from the Huygens images. I hope this work will be represented: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...0y8LLZCwB7D7Z7g

PS

Outside of UMSF I have to mention Hortonheardawho. He may not actively submit anything (I could be wrong!) but something of his work should appear.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 30 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #56

Administrator

I'd like to encourage people like you to submit other people's images -- just ask permission first. I'm sure that especially the more prolific producers would not mind someone else volunteering to do submission work for them, as long as you ask!

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 30 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #57

Administrator

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jun 30 2012, 12:38 PM) *
Might want to change the title of the thread; there's not much at the actual domain...

I'm going to hold off on pointing the domain there until it's a bit more polished. You guys are getting a preview! However, http://planetary.org/amateur now points directly there.

And machi wins the prize for being first to submit an image and get it approved. New image on the amateur imaging homepage! Thanks, machi.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jul 1 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 4057

So the test was successful and your work is working. rolleyes.gif
Congratulations!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 1 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 124

Thanks Emily for all your hard work - it looks really good so far!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Jul 1 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 6392

I attempted to upload a JPEG image which is about 34MB total size and about 18,000 by 3000 pixels (an assembled Apollo panorama). The web site's submission form rejected the image due to an apparent size issue. Emily, you had mentioned in an earlier reply that size was not limited -- but perhaps there are upper bounds?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.