Reply to this topicStart new topic
AmateurSpaceImages.com, A site to gather great amateur-processed space images
ngunn
post Jul 1 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 1 2012, 12:14 AM) *
just ask permission first. I'm sure that especially the more prolific producers would not mind someone else volunteering to do submission work for them, as long as you ask!

Isn't this mostly just a case of shuffling into a different file images already posted here? Is permission really required for that? Apart from the permission issue there's the 'submission work' obstacle. Machi succeded, Tom Dahl failed. I'd put my chances at 2%.

So I'll just do a bit of urging. Go on dilo! Submit that classic 'Clouds over Meridiani' image. Rene Pascal - are you out there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 2 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #62

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Tom Dahl @ Jul 1 2012, 11:37 AM) *
I attempted to upload a JPEG image which is about 34MB total size and about 18,000 by 3000 pixels (an assembled Apollo panorama). The web site's submission form rejected the image due to an apparent size issue. Emily, you had mentioned in an earlier reply that size was not limited -- but perhaps there are upper bounds?

I haven't explored the upper bounds of file uploads yet -- you may have found it. For a file that large, it would probably be better to put it someplace where I can download it, and fill out the form with a reduced-resolution version. When I get back from my vacation I'll experiment with what the size limit is. Machi's was 10+ MB so I know that is OK. I made a note of this apparent limitation on the upload form.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 2 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #63

Administrator

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 1 2012, 01:50 PM) *
Isn't this mostly just a case of shuffling into a different file images already posted here? Is permission really required for that?

Heavens, yes. Posting images here doesn't constitute permission to reuse the images elsewhere. Just because you post something here doesn't mean you give up copyright. The Internet is pretty loosey-goosey about such things, of course, and anyone who posts images here shouldn't be surprised to find their stuff showing up elsewhere without having been asked permission. But that's not how things should be done, and it's certainly not how I do things on the Society's website.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 2 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #64

Thanks and understood - so the two places are effectively quite separate for copyright purposes. It'll make it harder to include older UMSF stuff from people who no longer participate in the forum. That's a pity because, as we've seen recently on Phil's Spirit Retrospective discussion, old images have a habit of disappearing completely as hosting sites lapse or edit content. (I'd perhaps naively hoped that AmateurSpacedImages would have the power to intervene unilaterally to salvage and archive some of this endangered material.)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 2 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 5221

There's always the Internet Archive, but even it's erratic when it comes to saving images from old sites. It's good for a bit of nostalgia of course, like the old UMSF logos and posters who've left over the years.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 2 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #66

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 2 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Thanks and understood - so the two places are effectively quite separate for copyright purposes.

There's also another difference. UMSF is like the notice board in a pub. It's random, disorganized and transient.

This project at TPS is a proper catalogue.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 2 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 2 2012, 10:14 PM) *
UMSF is like the notice board in a pub.

That's good, and long may it remain so, but I can't imagine anyone posting a notice in a pub getting uppity about copyright.

It's an American thing I suppose . . so much litigation.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 2 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #68

Administrator

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 2 2012, 11:40 AM) *
It'll make it harder to include older UMSF stuff from people who no longer participate in the forum.

Well, if this concerns you, then why don't you try to track some of those people down? You seem to think you can't contribute to the archive because you don't do processing yourself; I'm trying to tell you that you can contribute, by helping to archive material. If you can write an email -- and that's typically all it takes -- you can do that, if you think the effort is worth your time (and if you don't think it's worth your time, well, then it must not be worth anyone else's time either)! I'm not only talking to you personally -- I'm talking to other people here, too. If you like and care about the imagery you've been seeing here, take it upon yourselves to help it get into a stable location.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 2 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #69

I've said enough here. Really I just want to cheer you on because I think what you're doing is brilliant. What's not possible - well, que sera sera. I will be an enthusiastic spectator!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 12 2012, 05:01 AM
Post #70

Administrator

Hi folks, just an update. I have streamlined a lot of things in the back end of the website that have made my life easier and am now working hard on uploading the images we had on our old website. The amateur images archive now counts more than 300 images. I've worked through my archive of Ted Stryk's, Rene Pascal's, and Bjorn Jonsson's images, and am working on Gordan Ugarkovic's.

I am ready to start asking for your submissions at http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...ing/upload.html . Bjorn has used the form a few times already and the system is running quite smoothly. I'm not planning on publicizing it for a while; I want to build up the archive first.

If you are not a person who produces images, I am quite serious about asking for help in uploading and documenting them. I'd love to see some of you guys work on combing the UMSF archive for worthy submissions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 12 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 4489

slight problem with the site
the formatting dose NOT work for Firefox15 , Seamonkey 2.10
Firefox 15

Seamonkey

it DOSE work in Google Chrome

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 12 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #72

Administrator

Thanks. I probably won't be able to investigate today, will do tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 19 2012, 04:09 AM
Post #73

Administrator

Status update: I've finished importing the images I had of Gordan's, though his Flickr page contains lots more good ones that I don't have yet. We're now at 344 images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 13 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #74

I have a query about the zoomify facility increasingly provided by James Canvin and others for enormous panoramas from Curiosity. Would it be possible to carry this over when the panoramas are archived? It makes the images so much easier to explore and would, I feel, significantly enhance the value of AmateurSpaceImages as a resource for the future.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 26 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #75

Administrator

I've been working on some stuff in the back end of the website today, improving browse display of images and making one-click searches easier. Please make suggestions! I have not tested the layout across browsers so please especially let me know if there are display problems (including which browser/OS you are using).

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...ng/amateur.html

ngunn, the answer to your question is yes. I'd enter the images into the database as ordinary image file types but can easily embed zoomify versions below the page-width display of the image.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.