IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Home Plate Speculations, Get it in now, before we know the truth!
dvandorn
post Jan 25 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Down in the Front Page Stories board, Phillip asked what all of us UMSF types think Home Plate might be made of and how it was formed. He actually wants Jim Bell's speculations, but asked for UMSF's speculations, as well.

Since we're getting close to getting there, it's time for any of your uninformed speculations out there to be recorded for all posterity... biggrin.gif

I posted the following in that thread, but it really belongs here, so I'm reposting it here and inviting discussion. I figure that a lot of us don't bother to read the boards we don't stay actively involved with, so for all of you, this is new. Otherwise, I apologize for the repetitiion!

Look at the vertically-exaggerated image posted here.

Home Plate seems very obviously, in this stretched image, to be the remnant of an impact crater. There are several impact crater remnants in the inner basin, here. Each seems to have been formed in a surface that was a good many meters higher than the present surface -- those missing several meters have been deflated from this terrain, by some process, leaving the shocked "pedestal" remnants of the deeper cratering forms.

Remember, when you make an impact crater, you don't just affect the surface. The disruption caused by the cratering event goes well under the surface, consisting of impact melt (if the impact is energetic enough) and shocked, brecciated rocks.

The crater remnants we're seeing on the surface look like the brecciated and shocked rocks that were originally created in a bowl-shaped lining beneath this cluster of impact craters. I can see traces of at least five different craters within the inner basin, here. (The ridge of rock Spirit is passing right now is, in fact, a small crater remnant.)

As for Home Plate, it sits within the largest and most well-defined of these crater remnants. Maybe such layers were exhumed in *all* of the craters here, and have since been completely eroded away -- but that doesn't seem right. We have traces of several craters, and in only one of them do we see any trace of this lighter-colored material.

I'd have to think that either the impact target composition was different where the Home Plate impact occurred -- which seems a little unlikely when you consider some of these impacts are only a few tens of meters apart -- or that some other substance was deposited in Home Plate crater that wasn't deposited in the other craters. (Or that has been completely deflated from the other craters, if it ever existed there.)

So, logic *seems* to point towards post-cratering material deposition accounting for the light-rock ring. Personally, I think it could have been water deposition. Home Plate could have been a puddle that was filled and dried thousands of times (maybe with an internal artesian spring) that resulted in aqueous transport and deposition.

Or, it could have just been a good wind trap and it trapped a lot of light-colored dust. Hard to say.

I'm not only interested in the light-rock ring's composition, I'm getting very curious about the erosion process that deflated the original surface. Could aeolian erosion have deflated *that* much surface, even over a few billion years? Do we need to postulate aqueous erosion, or even glacial erosion?

Maybe the specific composition and erosion patterns we see on the light-rock ring will help us puzzle that out.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- dvandorn   Home Plate Speculations   Jan 25 2006, 04:10 PM
- - RNeuhaus   I will put two interesting observations which are ...   Feb 4 2006, 04:59 AM
- - Bill Harris   I look at this and I keep thinking of Whiterock Fo...   Feb 4 2006, 03:46 PM
|- - Richard Trigaux   QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 4 2006, 03:46 PM)The...   Feb 4 2006, 07:57 PM
- - Richard Trigaux   The latest images of sol 742 are consistent with a...   Feb 4 2006, 08:11 PM
- - dvandorn   The closer we get, the more this area looks to me ...   Feb 5 2006, 04:30 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 5 2006, 05:30 AM)I...   Feb 5 2006, 07:44 PM
|- - tty   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 5 2006, 06:30 AM)The cl...   Feb 5 2006, 09:15 PM
|- - Richard Trigaux   QUOTE (tty @ Feb 5 2006, 09:15 PM)I for one c...   Feb 7 2006, 08:20 AM
|- - tty   QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Feb 7 2006, 10:20 AM...   Feb 7 2006, 03:45 PM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (tty @ Feb 7 2006, 09:45 AM)Huh?? ...   Feb 8 2006, 03:37 AM
- - Richard Trigaux   The latest scenario I suggest, after closest view ...   Feb 5 2006, 11:19 AM
- - Richard Trigaux   Spirit took at five-colors panorama in Sol 743 whi...   Feb 5 2006, 05:05 PM
- - Richard Trigaux   Hey the guies on the other thread "going to H...   Feb 5 2006, 08:32 PM
- - RNeuhaus   Besides, according to many documents which I have ...   Feb 8 2006, 04:21 PM
- - tty   Actually there is some evidence of fairly recent l...   Feb 8 2006, 07:04 PM
|- - RNeuhaus   QUOTE (tty @ Feb 8 2006, 02:04 PM)Actually th...   Feb 8 2006, 07:27 PM
|- - paulanderson   QUOTE (tty @ Feb 8 2006, 11:04 AM)Actually th...   Feb 8 2006, 07:29 PM
- - RNeuhaus   Diverse hypotheses As Spirit has wheeled ever clo...   Feb 10 2006, 05:09 PM
- - CosmicRocker   Although we know little about the lower unit of al...   Feb 11 2006, 03:39 AM
|- - RNeuhaus   QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 10 2006, 10:39 PM)A...   Feb 12 2006, 01:51 AM
- - alan   Are those deposits along a fracture in this image?...   Feb 11 2006, 07:52 PM
- - Bill Harris   I noticed that fracture fill this morning. It loo...   Feb 11 2006, 09:47 PM
- - Sunspot   Hmmm... what happened to todays pictures? Accordi...   Feb 12 2006, 01:39 AM
- - CosmicRocker   Rodolfo: I suppose that volcano could have genera...   Feb 12 2006, 02:26 AM
- - Edward Schmitz   Smiles? In the lower left corner of this image, I...   Feb 13 2006, 05:59 PM
2 Pages V  < 1 2

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.