IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ROVER WHEELS: Monitoring changes over time, NOTE: Read back through the thread to avoid repeating misconceptions
MahFL
post Nov 28 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #46

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Well there you go, if the team were concerned about the wheels, then all of our concerns were validated.
Happy Thanksgiving by the way, to those that are celebrating it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 28 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 28 2013, 09:56 AM) *
if the team were concerned about the wheels, then all of our concerns were validated.

In my experience, science teams are no more immune to having concerns about things outside their area of expertise than any other group. smile.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 28 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #48

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 28 2013, 08:56 AM) *
Well there you go, if the team were concerned about the wheels, then all of our concerns were validated.

Sharing a concern doesn't in any way validate it.

And just to repeat ( because seemingly it does bear repeating ) there is nothing to be concerned about. This is expected. It doesn't damage the rovers mobility.

Concerns about wheel damage are not..repeat NOT valid.

+Quote Post
bobik
post Nov 29 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 6732

Are there any papers on MSL wheel design trade-offs?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 29 2013, 06:59 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (bobik @ Nov 29 2013, 11:39 AM) *
Are there any papers on MSL wheel design trade-offs?

Did you read the viewgraph package referenced in http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=200198 ?

Other than that, I don't know of anything. There are some useful quotes in http://news.discovery.com/space/rough-rovi...tear-130522.htm (from May 2013)
“The wear in the wheels is expected,” Matt Heverly, lead rover driver for the MSL mission at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., told Discovery News via email. “The ‘skin’ of the wheel is only 0.75mm thick and we expect dents, dings, and even a few holes due to the wheels interacting with the rocks.”

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 29 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #51

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

One way to look at this is that the cleats really do most of the work, and they are a lot more robust.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Nov 29 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 4605

So one can posit a scenario where rather than picking up a rock in the wheel as did Spirit, as the skin of the wheel deteriorates Curiosity could pick up a rock jammed between cleats. Wouldn't stop operation but would make for amusing comments.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 29 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 5221

Who says MSL has no sample cache... wink.gif

+Quote Post
bobik
post Nov 30 2013, 08:55 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 6732

It would be interesting to know what other wheel options and materials they considered. What role has the function as the landing gear pads played in the wheel design?

+Quote Post
pospa
post Nov 30 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (bobik @ Nov 30 2013, 10:55 AM) *
It would be interesting to know what other wheel options and materials they considered.

I'm wondering what is the weight penalty by 2nd set of VSTB wheels with doubled skin thickness.
I guess that using 1,5 mm thick skin instead of 0,75 mm actually used on Mars would eliminate most of wear we see, stop all timorous comments around and would not hurt total rover mass budget significantly.
... maybe for Mars rover 2020.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #56

Founder

QUOTE (pospa @ Nov 30 2013, 05:01 AM) *
and would not hurt total rover mass budget significantly.

Well - the wheel rim itself would way about twice as much. I've held one. They're not 'heavy' but there's certainly a few KG's in there.

And you're forgetting - compliance in the wheel is one of the design requirements to take the edge of impacts as wheels drop off rocks etc. Making it 'stronger' just so it doesn't get holes in it ( holes that don't matter ) could very well be counter productive.

Why would you change the design for 2020. They work. They work great. There's nothing whatsoever to suggest they're going to stop working. Why would you invest a second of time, energy, or money - or mass budget - in making them unnecessarily heavier?

+Quote Post
pospa
post Nov 30 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2013, 10:13 PM) *
Why would you invest ....

If she's gonna work 14+ years and 2020 rover is equiped with the same wheels we'll go nuts from reading endless comments about 'weak torn wheels'. rolleyes.gif

PS: I talked about doubled 'skin' thickness only (0,75 -> 1,0~1,5 mm), not to strenghten all design elements as radial and axial ribs => for sure not doubled rim weight and less elastic 'wheel-bumper'
PS2: I fully trust engineers that they've made the best optimal design in compliance to all spec and that mobility won't be limited by wheels anytime during prime or future mission extensions.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2013, 11:47 PM
Post #58

Founder

QUOTE (pospa @ Nov 30 2013, 02:30 PM) *
we'll go nuts from reading endless comments about 'weak torn wheels'. rolleyes.gif

That could be solved by not posting endless comments about 'weak torn wheels'.

Not by pointlessly changing a vehicle design.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 1 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #59

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2013, 01:13 PM) *
Why would you invest a second of time, energy, or money - or mass budget - in making them unnecessarily heavier?

I'll confess that I've made minor engineering changes just to stop baseless concerns, so let's look at the details. If the wheels are 0.5m in diameter and 0.4m wide, then roughly speaking the outer surface volume is pi*0.5**2*0.4*0.75e-3 = 235 cm3 and its mass (aluminum density is about 2.7 gm/cm3) would be about 600 grams. Doubling the thickness would increase the mass to about 1.2 kg per wheel (times six of course) so the overall mass increase would be about 3.6 kg -- nearly twice the mass (for example) of two Mastcam camera heads. [edit: of course each wheel's mass is greater than 600 gm, this is just a rough cylindrical approximation of the mass of the 0.75mm "skin" of the wheel. For reference, 0.75mm is about 7x thicker than a typical Coke can.]

However, I don't see much evidence that anyone actually read the viewgraphs I linked to. It's worth remembering that unlike MER, MSL relies on the wheels to absorb not only driving loads but landing shock, and the wheels may have to elastically deform a fair bit in the process. Making the wheels thicker would reduce their ability to do so; I'm not sure by how much, but it could be a concern.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 1 2013, 02:08 AM
Post #60

Founder

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2013, 12:13 PM) *
And you're forgetting - compliance in the wheel is one of the design requirements to take the edge of impacts as wheels drop off rocks etc. Making it 'stronger' just so it doesn't get holes in it ( holes that don't matter ) could very well be counter productive.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 30 2013, 04:13 PM) *
I don't see much evidence that anyone actually read the viewgraphs I linked to. It's worth remembering that unlike MER, MSL relies on the wheels to absorb not only driving loads but landing shock, and the wheels may have to elastically deform a fair bit in the process. Making the wheels thicker would reduce their ability to do so; I'm not sure by how much, but it could be a concern.

Well - I did ;-)

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.