GravityWaves
post Apr 11 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 723

QUOTE (akuo @ Apr 11 2006, 07:59 AM) *
Emily has been busy. Almost the whole PC is already transcribed on the blog:
http://planetary.org/blog/

I really enjoyed reading about Mars on this website but I must send out a big thanks to all you posters and members of UnmannedSpaceflight as well as the fantastic blog of Emily,
you guys have given this Venus event fantastic coverage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post Apr 11 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #167

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

spaceflightnow caught up...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/venusexpress/060411voi.html

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Apr 11 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #168

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

This is great news - congratulations to ESA (and thanks to Emily for detailed news from VOI and the PC).

Now we can look forward to seeing the first images two days from now. It's rather strange that with the exception of 50-100 Galileo images and a few from Cassini these will be the first spacecraft images from this closest neighbor obtained using a modern camera system.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Apr 11 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 385

Damn smart is VEX! congratulations to the team! Also to Emily for the updated posting.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Apr 11 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 430

N° 13-2006 – Paris, 11 April 2006

Europe Scores New Planetary Success:
link

Changed to a link - seriously, hundreds of lines ot text in a forum post doesnt make a lot of sense when you can just link to it with the pictures in situ etc. - Doug

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
helvick
post Apr 11 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #171

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Apr 11 2006, 01:56 PM) *
The PFS spectrometer will determine the temperature and composition profile of
the atmosphere at very high resolution.

So has the VEX PFS fixed itself then?

+Quote Post
odave
post Apr 11 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 209

I don't think so - IIRC they were going to try the PFS cover again some time after VOI. That text just looks like a copy/paste job into the press release...

...and my congrats to ESA on the successes of VEX & MEX too! Now I think I'll go get some TEX-MEX for lunch wink.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Apr 11 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #173

Member No.: 722

Let me add my kudos to ESA and their fantastic job. Time to dust off the old Venus books! cool.gif

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Apr 11 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #174

Member No.: 358

Podcast ESA.

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/multimedia/es..._into_orbit.mp4

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Apr 28 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #175

Guests

There's a bit more from two abstracts from the Fall 2005 AGU meeting on just what they hope to do with VIRTIS where surface observations are concerned:

http://www.agu.org/cgi-bin/SFgate/SFgate?&...P33A-0227"

http://www.agu.org/cgi-bin/SFgate/SFgate?&...P33A-0225"

Also, Noam Izenberg's presentation to last November's VEXAG meeting on the observations MESSENGER will make during its second Venus flyby ( http://www.lpi.usra.edu/vexag/Nov2005/MESSENGER_VEXAG.pdf ) includes, on page 8, a description of a possible attempt to mkake similar observations of surface composition

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 28 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #176

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

And don't forget VMC....

Venus Monitoring Camera abstract

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 28 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #177

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Jun 26 2005, 08:06 AM) *
This was all the more true for Huygens, which images were ridiculously small and tremendously compressed.

The images are not rediculously small...they are framelets....they were never intended to be stand alone images, but rather combined into panoramic 360 degree images. With early 90s technology, as edstrick said, this instrument did a very good job given the data rate/mass/power use constraints. It would have been better to have few images with less compression had both channels been received (with only one received, we would have horrible holes in the mosaics). But this is simply a result of Titan providing a lower contrast environment than expected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Apr 28 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #178

Guests

That very nice (and pictorial) document on the DISR photos from last year's Titan Conference which I mentioned down in one of the Titan threads yesterday says that we did manage to get three "almost complete" mosaics, as opposed to the 10 hoped for.

+Quote Post
OWW
post May 9 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #179

Member No.: 99

Venus Express has reached final orbit:

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM33O8ATME_index_0.html

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post May 12 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #180

Member No.: 385

Wait until June 4, 2006 when Venus Express start to collect observations from Venus. Now it is undergoing the switching on every 7 scientific instruments.

Until beginning of June, Venus Express will continue its ‘orbit commissioning phase’, started on 22 April this year. "The spacecraft instruments are now being switched on one by one for detailed checking, which we will continue until mid May. Then we will operate them all together or in groups" said Don McCoy, Venus Express Project Manager. "This allows simultaneous observations of phenomena to be tested, to be ready when Venus Express’ nominal science phase begins on 4 June 2006," he concluded.

Venus Express will live for only 2 days ! laugh.gif

While Venus Express is expected to spend about 15 months studying its cloud-covered target, the mission will span only two of the world’s exceedingly long days.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.