IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Dragonfly" Titan explorer drone, NASA funds Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
rlorenz
post Aug 3 2020, 03:33 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 30 2020, 07:22 AM) *
There will probably be some condensation (even Huygens saw a droplet fall across the camera, I recall?). I'm sure they will do plenty of testing in a Titan simulation chamber once assembled, if that hasn't already been done for the individual components. We will know it is real when we see it flying in a chamber...

Is Curiosity real? Did you see the descent stage doing a skycrane manoeuvre in a chamber? No. And yet it is real.

And MSL was a flagship project, not a cost-constrained New Frontiers mission.

Validation and Verification on planetary missions relies, of physical and fiscal necessity, on much analysis as well as testing, because the testing can never completely replicate the planetary environment anyway (put a Titan chamber in the Vomit Comet to replicate gravity.....? Something close was done once - at the wheel level, not the rover level, to test wheel/soil interaction for the Apollo LRV. But never since.) Typically one tests some key aspects, and uses models to bridge that data to the planetary setting. There will be aerodynamic tests at relevant Reynolds numbers and densities (e.g. TDT and/or NTF wind tunnels at Langley) and we are building a Titan chamber at APL for thermal balance tests etc, but earth gravity is earth gravity.... so like other planetary projects we use a lot of analytic and computer models. (But unlike most, can fly a scaled-down and/or lightweighted vehicle)

The possible droplet detected in a Huygens image was likely the result of surface heating by a lamp, dumping 20 W of heat on a small patch of ground (20cm across)
That's actually a pretty strong degree of heating.

Dragonfly needs the heat from a radioisotope power source to stay warm (just as MSL) and (like MSL) uses a pumped fluid loop to pull the heat inside. (It of course is ultimately rejected to the environment through the insulation all over the lander body, but at a low power density.) The meteorological measurements need to take this into account and are being designed accordingly

See my papers

Lorenz, R. D., 2016. Heat Rejection in the Titan Surface Environment : Impact on Science Investigations, AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 30, 257-265

R D Lorenz, Thermal Interaction of the Huygens Probe with the Titan Environment : Surface Windspeed Constraint, Icarus, 182, 559-566, 2006

R. D. Lorenz, H. Niemann, D. Harpold, J. Zarnecki, Titanís Damp Ground : Constraints on Titan Surface Thermal Properties from the Temperature Evolution of the Huygens GCMS inlet, Meteoritics and Planetary Science. 41, 1405-1414, 2006.

Lorenz, R. D. and K. S. Sotzen, Buoyant Thermal Plumes from Planetary Landers : Application to the Height of Meteorology Masts, Planetary and Space Science, 90, 81-89, 2014

Lorenz, R. D. 2018. Atmospheric Test Environments for Planetary In-Situ Missions: never quite "Test as you fly", Advances in Space Research, 62, 1884-1894

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 3 2020, 04:50 AM
Post #137

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Thank you for the very detailed response; I could have phrased the last sentence better. (I should have said I will know it's real when I see it!) My reply to Steve G was made with the Insight mole's troubles in mind (unusual physical properties in the environment impossible to predict ahead of time). Titan's surface is complex in an entirely different way, so I'm glad to hear of the lower power density. The next six years will be exciting no matter what....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 08:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.