7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Whr Figures, From various sources
RNeuhaus
post Jun 24 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

Now, how about is the power level of Oppy. I see that latelly, Oppy is only permited to drive around 30 minutes per sol. However, up to know, Oppy still have not posed to tilt to north facing. I seems that Oppy has enough solar energy to rover for some days. Then , when do you believe that Oppy will not be allowed to traverse further?

Rodolfo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jun 24 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 24 2006, 08:34 PM) *
Now, how about is the power level of Oppy. I see that latelly, Oppy is only permited to drive around 30 minutes per sol. However, up to know, Oppy still have not posed to tilt to north facing. I seems that Oppy has enough solar energy to rover for some days. Then , when do you believe that Oppy will not be allowed to traverse further?

Where do you get that 30 min drive time from? And couldn't the reason be that they could drive for longer, but they don't want to? Unknown terrain etc.

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 24 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #18

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 24 2006, 09:45 PM) *
Where do you get that 30 min drive time from? And couldn't the reason be that they could drive for longer, but they don't want to? Unknown terrain etc.

Opportunity current (Sol 856): ~ 382whr
Minimum: 339whr from Sol 937 to Sol 965.

~280whr is (according to SS) the minimum required for basic survival. So we have around 100whr/sol to play with right now and that will drop to 60 or so at the minimum. The rovers burn about ~100w when driving but there are all the other things that have to be done (enabling the gyros\accelerometers, uplink\downlink relay, taking the end of drive images, Sun\Tau measurements) which probably add up to around 20-30whr. So we've got about an hour's driving capability at most right now and it will be dropping to 30 minutes or so as SH winter insolation hits its minimum.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jun 25 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 24 2006, 03:45 PM) *

The duration of transverse done by Oppy lately was around 30 minutes according tot he calculations which I have made. The Oppy's average speed is around 3.5 cms/sec, that is about 62.5 meters / 30 minutes. Hence, I deduct that Oppy is taking about 30 minutes of driving knowing that Oppy stops every 45 seconds to perform any navigation analysis related for 15 seconds before to resume again the drive. That is the driving distance would be 30*3/4 a little more than 22 minutes to cover a distance of 46 meters.

On the other hand, I was acquainted by the JPL Marsrovers news that they were planning to drive the Oppy toward VC between 30 minutes to 2 hours depending to the energy reserve level.

Hope I have cleared to your inquiry! smile.gif

Helvick, Thanks of your input! wink.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
alan
post Jun 30 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 110

For the first time on either rover, Spirit's battery heaters turned on at 8:15 a.m. local solar time on Mars on Sol 865 (June 9, 2006). The heaters activate automatically when local temperatures drop to about minus 19 degrees Celsius (minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit). The lowest allowable operating temperature is minus 20 degrees C (minus 4 degrees F.).
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...All.html#sol874

No mention of how much power this requires. I wonder how it affects the amount of science that can be done.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 1 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (alan @ Jul 1 2006, 12:41 AM) *
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...All.html#sol874

No mention of how much power this requires. I wonder how it affects the amount of science that can be done.

Alan:

Think of the effect if the heaters *didn't* get turned on: EOM.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jul 10 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 424

>For the first time on either rover, Spirit's battery heaters turned on at
>8:15 a.m. local solar time on Mars on Sol 865 (June 9, 2006).
>The heaters activate automatically when local temperatures drop to
>about minus 19 degrees Celsius (minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit).

In "Roving Mars," SS notes (at p. 341) that Opportunity survived at temperatures as low as -46 C (as measured in Mini-TES) the first time they tested Deep Sleep, in May 2004.

In light of this, I'm confused by the recent status report which suggests that this is the first time either Rover has experienced temperature as low as -19 C. Or is the point that the temperatures had never fallen so law during daytime? Or maybe Mini-TES is colder because it's up in the mast?

TTT (puzzled in NYC)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 10 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #23

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

There's a difference.

That -49 was the temperature of the lens inside Mini TES.

The -19 is the temperature of the battery.

They're both inside the WEB, but the battery does more work, more of the time, so stays warmer for longer - it's the 'hot spot' of the entire WEB I would imagine.

Doug

+Quote Post
bigdipper
post Jul 15 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 645

From 14 July Spirit Update: sol 897-904 Solar array input down to 280 whrs

Hang in there buddy.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jul 15 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #25

Dublin Correspondent

QUOTE (bigdipper @ Jul 15 2006, 01:50 PM) *
From 14 July Spirit Update: sol 897-904 Solar array input down to 280 whrs

I've noted elsewhere that spirit appears to be losing power generating capacity at a slightly faster rate than I expected when assuming a constant rate of power loss due to dust of 0.18% per Sol.

This latest reported whr number seems to indicate that we might be seeing the effect of local winds picking up and increasing the rate at which dust is being deposited on the panels but it could also be that Tau is increasing earlier this year than last.

From Sol 811 to Sol 853 panel efficiency decreased by ~0.08% per sol.
From Sol 853 to Sol 877 panel efficiency decreased by ~0.10% per sol.
From Sol 877 to Sol 891 panel efficiency decreased by ~0.33% per sol.
From Sol 892 to Sol 899 panel efficiency decreased by ~0.41% per sol.

If that rate continues then Spirit will be in a very bad way. After mid winter insolation increases at less than 0.4% per Sol and power generation capacity would just continue to decline rather than picking up again as summer rolls in.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 15 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (helvick @ Jul 15 2006, 10:23 AM) *
...spirit appears to be losing power generating capacity at a slightly faster rate than I expected when assuming a constant rate of power loss due to dust of 0.18% per Sol.

I wonder if the computer trouble that Spirtit had in the first days of its mission, which lead to a near complete discharge of the battery, reduced the battery life.

I also wonder if plans are in the works for an attempt at repositioning Spirit to get a better angle to the sun, or if it has been decided to let Spirit live or die as it sits. The danger of repositioning is that it could unintentionally lead to a worse and perhaps deadly power situation.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jul 15 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #27

Dublin Correspondent

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 15 2006, 04:13 PM) *
I wonder if the computer trouble that Spirtit had in the first days of its mission, which lead to a near complete discharge of the battery, reduced the battery life.

It may have but I think we've established that the Lithion batteries used by the MER's should be good for a few thousand Sols unless temperatures drop so far that they actually get damaged. The couple of weeks of trouble at the start probably didn't do Spirit's any good but I don't think they damaged it either.

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 15 2006, 04:13 PM) *
I also wonder if plans are in the works for an attempt at repositioning Spirit to get a better angle to the sun, or if it has been decided to let Spirit live or die as it sits. The danger of repositioning is that it could unintentionally lead to a worse and perhaps deadly power situation.

Spirit has already been manoeuvred into a position with one wheel perched on a rock giving her a very favourable northerly tilt that has increased the power she generates by about 20%. Without that tilt she would currently be generating only 220-230 whr or so per sol. An ideal tilt could increase the power gain by a further 10% or so but it would be an incredibly risky exercise. I don't think anyone would try it now, if they got it wrong and she ended up horizontal it might be impossible to recover from.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 15 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 132

So it looks like the die is cast. Spirit is in the orientation that she is in. The dust buildup is what it will be. And a cleaning event (frost congealing of dust?) will happen or not.

On the bright side, is a large part of the minimum power requirement for life due to heating needs? Will those needs decrease as spring approaches so that even if power levels continue to decrease, the minimum power requirement for life will also decrease as rising night temperatures reduce heating needs?

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jul 15 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #29

Dublin Correspondent

There have been requests (well a request) for an update of my power estimate charts. To better illustrate my comments above I've reworked the presentation a bit in an attempt to illustrate the current power situation. So far I've only sone this for Spirit but I'll post one for Opportunity as soon as I can.
Attached Image

The critically important line is the solid red one. The future estimate (the portion of all of the line to the right of the dashed purple vertical line) is based on the current power level and the solar panel's effective efficiency today extrapolated out using the actual Tau and my own estimate of the dust deposition rate from precisely 1 martian year earlier. The basic conclusion in this is that without any cleaning she's not going anywhere.

So I also made a much more optimistic version that includes the effect of similar cleaning events to those seen last year at the same time as they occured just to see what effect those would have.
Attached Image

Max-Power is the theoretical maximum that the panels could generate at a given point in time given the known Tau values and assuming that the panel is flat and there is no dust on it. It should be accurate to within about 5% or so. This is in Watt hours (left axis)
Est Power is my interpolated estimate of the actual power generated at any given point. As far as the historical data is concerned this line agrees with JPL's published Solar Panel Efficiency chart to within +-1.5% which I'm quite happy with. This is in Watt hours (left axis)
Dust Loss is my own estimate of the actual rate of dust deposition at various points in time. I derived this by testing various values for each period in order to make my estimated power line approach the reported power number for each published power value except in cases where we know there was a cleaning event. This is a percentage per Sol and uses the right axis (it's generally ~0.2% but has peaked over 1% on occassion)
Tau is an average Tau value for each Sol taken from the published Tau charts. Uses the right axis.
Today and Last Year. I put in these two vertical indicator lines for today and 1 martian year ago to give folks some sort of visual guide to put the other chart lines into context.

+Quote Post
bigdipper
post Jul 18 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 645

If I read the dust loss plot correctly the _rate_ of loss is plotted as opposed to the cumulative loss due to dust, right?

Trying to add/subract the curves didnt' quite work. Looking at sols +/-830-851 noticed ~0 dust loss (but not 0 loss due to dust).

BTW: 570+ downloads of the HPC excel zip file means you have more than one adoring fan.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.