Reply to this topicStart new topic
Theory of Expanding Planets/Moons, By Neal Adams
Decepticon
post Mar 17 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

Theory of Expanding Planets
Comic book legend Neal Adams, who is currently creating a six part series of Batman, discussed his research on a new model for the Universe. His theory proposes that the Earth, and by extension, all moons and planets, expand in size from the inside as they age.

The bottom of the ocean is only between 70 to 180 million years old, said Adams. He hypothesized that Earth was originally ¼ its current size, and that the tectonic plates fit perfectly together on this smaller world which had significantly less areas of water. 600 million years ago Jupiter was also smaller, he said, and thus larger meteors came into the inner solar system, hitting Mars and our moon (as evidenced by their craters). Further, his notion of a growing universe negates the Big Bang theory, and he outlined how a solar system could come into existence as matter is attracted to a sun's electromagnetic field.

Animations can be seen here... http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2006/03/16.html

He was on Coasttocoastam.com last night. Along with animations to show his theory.

Europa and Ganymede where pretty neat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 17 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Guests

Gaaack. His theory would have been more plausible if he'd said that the Joker is inflating them as one of his evil schemes.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Mar 17 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 426

Expanding planets. Har. That old chestnut again.

I remember hearing about that one in Grade 5 (my science teacher that year wasn't a fan of plate tectonics, which is probably the reason he told us about it). That would've been 1979 or 1980. Even then I knew it was garbage, and I was a fan of "That's Incredible", "Project: UFO", Bionic Bigfoot and various asinine Charles Berlitz books at the time.

Funny that this guy's trying to take credit for something that was ludicrous thirty years ago. It's amazing what a fountain of crap the 1970s were (mind you, the same could be said for all subsequent decades).

+Quote Post
tty
post Mar 17 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 273

This might have been a serious theory 30 years ago, but no longer. That bit about there being no sea bottoms older than the Jurassic is true if you only count seabottom that is still in place, since seabottoms are fairly rapidly recycled by plate tectonics. However there are bits and pieces of old seabottom around that have been obducted onto continents, and they show conclusively that there have been deep seas much like the present ones since 'way back into the precambrian.

tty

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Mar 17 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 114

The Ganymede animation lines up good, but that doesn't really mean the moons grew in size.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 18 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 239

I saw the 'Neal Adams' byline and thought I'd pen some wiseacre comment relating to Batman, but then discovered that reality had overtaken me! All I can say is that the Gotham Space Science Institute would be better off conducting searches for surviving fragments of the planet Krypton - I'm sure that Bruce Wayne would fund some really serious research!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 18 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Well, to throw the guy one exceedingly small bone, the Hubble constant implies that the distance between any two points in the Universe is and has been increasing since at least the end of the inflationary period...but at a rate of 70 km/sec per 3.26 million light-years or so, I can't see it having any measurable effect on something as tiny as a planet! laugh.gif

By the way, is Neal Adams the same guy that proposed some sort of bizarre radioactive vulcanism for Mars? I remember reading about some...uh...'creative' theory along those lines in Sky & Telescope a few years back.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.