Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars 2020 Drilling, Sample Acquisition, and Caching System
blake
post May 15 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6966

While searching around for information on the wheel design for Mars 2020, I found this interesting YouTube video of Honeybee's (proposed?) Drill/Sample/Cache system.

Honeybee Robotics Video on YouTube

I did not find any info on the wheels but perhaps I don't know where to properly look.

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cherurbino
post Aug 23 2022, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9072

Dear Admin! The issue of is question concerns both sample acquisition system (including depot/caching) and the Mars Sample return mission. If you consider its current placement improper, please move in to the more relevant topic/section. Thank you.

Question. Is the entire sample acquisition system including its robotic arms, and inner storage facilities capable to replenish the stock of sample tubes if such shall be brought to Mars together with the pair of collecting helicopters?

The idea is to bring new stock of tubes, one by one, to the same depot place where Perseverance brought the filled-and-sealed tubes.

That may effectively use the capacities of Perseverance (including the stocks of gas used to clear abrasion patches) after the initial 43 tubes set shall be returned to Earth. Given Perseverance shows no less longevity than Curiosity, the searches of life signatures could be continued in the perspective locations outside the crater rim where the sediments could accumulate before Neretva made its way into Jezero.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 23 2022, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Not like this. there are two caches, one at Three Forks with the first set of samples, the second much later outside Jezero with a full set of samples (that's why we are getting two cores at each location now). If Perseverance fails later the first cache is here as a backup to the full set in case that is irretrievable.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 24 2022, 03:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Cherurbino @ Aug 23 2022, 10:28 AM) *
Is the entire sample acquisition system including its robotic arms, and inner storage facilities capable to replenish the stock of sample tubes if such shall be brought to Mars...

Of course not. That's sort of like expecting a Coke machine to reload itself if you just leave new cans next to it on the floor, isn't it?

"Mars 2020 Rover Adaptive Caching Assembly: Caching Martian Samples for Potential Earth Return" https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/handle/2014/52365

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.