Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HRSCview, New online HRSC image viewer
elakdawalla
post Mar 19 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just received this press release and didn't see it on ESA's website so thought I'd post it in full here. But first, here's the URL for the new HRSC image viewer:

http://www.geoinf.fu-berlin.de/hrscviewweb/

Have fun, guys!

--Emily
NEW ACCESS AND VISUALISATION FACILITY
FOR MARS EXPRESS HRSC IMAGES

Press Release: March 19, 2007
Issued By: Gerhard Neukum, HRSC Principal Investigator

The High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) is one of the outstanding experiments on the ESA Mars Express Mission (MEX) (cf. Neukum et al., 2004, ESA SP-1240). MEX has been in orbit about Mars from January 2004. The mission has just been extended until May 2009. By now, the HRSC has covered close to 35% of the surface of Mars in stereo and color at a resolution of between 10 and 20 m/pixel. Much more of Mars has been covered at lesser resolution.

All data are and will be available in preprocessed form up to level 3 through the ESA Planetary Science Archive (PSA) and in parallel through the NASA Planetary Data System. So far, digital terrain models, although produced for the needs of the HRSC Co-Investigator Team from the stereo data, have not been archived with ESA or NASA and have only in exceptional cases been made available to the community at large outside the HRSC Team proper. The reason for that is that the DTMs produced so far are of non-certified, non-archivable quality.

We have received word from the community that generally better and faster access to the data would be appreciated and DTMs as the main asset of the HRSC experiment would be required for scientific needs and mission planning. Therefore, we are undertaking - with substantial support from our national space agency (DLR-Bonn) - the task of reprocessing all data for the derivation of high-resolution certified DTMs that will eventually be archived with ESA and NASA depending on successful negotiations and agreements.

The hi-res DTM production is being done in cooperation between my group at the FU and the Experiment Team under the leadership of Ralf Jaumann at DLR. Also, the need for faster access by the community at large for quick screening of the HRSC image data and some instant manipulation for a rough overview of the assets of the data through computer-based means before going to the ESA or NASA archives for substantial downloading efforts has been expressed to us. The solution we have come to is to establish the following:

HRSCview: Online visualisation of the Mars Express HRSC dataset

A website that provides the ability to explore within the nearly 2 TB of HRSC images is opened for public access thorough a joint website of the Freie Universitaet Berlin and the German Aerospace Center (DLR) at:

http://www.geoinf.fu-berlin.de/hrscviewweb/

HRSCview permits exploration within the images by carrying out on-the-fly data-subsetting, sub-sampling, stretching and compositing, and in the case of perspective views, projection. This means regions of interest can be explored at full resolution without needing to download full data-product sets.

It is possible to view colour and elevation composites with nadir images and select different colour stretches or infra-red channel substitution. It offers perspective views with a choice of viewpoint and exaggeration. The data are explored using Mars surface coordinates, making it simple to move between multiple images of the same location, between adjacent images, and also from a global image-footprint map directly into an HRSC image at a position of interest. The pixel scale of the view can be selected; distance and elevation scale bars are provided.

Images can be accessed by orbit/image number as well as via the footprint map. In either case, a link is provided to a data-product page, where header items describing the full map-projected science data-product are displayed, and a direct link to the archived data-products on the ESA Planetary Science Archive (PSA) is provided.

In general, the elevation composites are derived from the HRSC Preliminary 200m DTMs generated at the German Aerospace Center (DLR), which will not be available as separately downloadable data-products. These DTMs are to be progressively superseded by systematically generated higher resolution archival DTMs, also from DLR, which will be made available for download through the PSA, and be similarly accessible via HRSCview. A number of images which have already been processed in this way are immediately available for visualisation or download via HRSCview.

HRSCview differs from the service provided by the PSA in that it provides a means to explore within the individual (but very large) images, carrying out a preliminary on-the-fly processing of the science data.

HRSCview features:

* nadir, colour composite, elevation composite browsing
* footprint map, with direct navigation into images
* location selection by surface coordinates or orbit number
* perspective views
* direct switching between overlapping images at point of interest
* click off-the-edge of one image to move directly into adjacent coverage
* links to full level-2 and level-3 data-products from product description page
* links to high-resolution level-4 data-products for several images where archive-quality DTMs have been generated
* alternate archive-DTM footprint map

Comments, questions, or suggestions are very welcome, and should be directed to Greg Michael (gregory.michael at fu-berlin.de) and the HRSC Science Coordinator, Stephan van Gasselt (vgasselt at zedat.fu-berlin.de). A poster on the system was presented at the LPSC meeting last week in Houston and will be presented at the EGU conference in Vienna.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
slinted
post Mar 21 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

With such a dramatic change, lighting differences seem a likely culprit, but I think we are seeing actual surface changes. Here are two images from THEMIS showing similar change in streak direction:

2003-09-26
2005-10-08 (12 days before the second HRSC image linked in my previous post)

I am having a hard time finding the answer to your question Emily. In an early press release about Spirit's dust devils, there was a mention of 2 dominant directions: southwest-to-northeast in early spiring, northwest-to-southeast in summer, but that doesn't explain the streaks seen in the later images since the neither of these directions align with them.

There is an abstract from LPSC 2006 that makes reference to the 'new' wind direction ("...many dust-devil tracks in previous MOC imagery have been erased, replaced with NNW-trending wind streaks indicating winds from SSE"), but does not say if it is a regular, annual shift.

edit: I should qualify the streaks as being wind streaks, and not necessarily dust devil tracks. The features seen in the 10/05 images are so broad that it's not clear that dust devils are directly responsible. For a better understanding of the processes involved, see Greeley's Martian variable features: New insight from the Mars Express Orbiter and the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit which includes an analysis of the 2004-01-16 HRSC image.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- elakdawalla   HRSCview   Mar 19 2007, 08:50 PM
- - djellison   I think we need a code monkey to get to work on th...   Mar 19 2007, 09:52 PM
- - dilo   Thanks Emily for this link!   Mar 19 2007, 10:24 PM
- - CosmicRocker   I just came to post the same email, and am glad to...   Mar 20 2007, 03:55 AM
- - slinted   This is a very useful tool indeed! It has gre...   Mar 21 2007, 12:27 AM
- - elakdawalla   Wow, slinted, great find! For those of you ...   Mar 21 2007, 01:34 AM
|- - mhoward   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 21 2007, 01:34 A...   Mar 21 2007, 02:34 AM
- - slinted   With such a dramatic change, lighting differences ...   Mar 21 2007, 07:37 AM
- - slinted   After a little more hunting, I found two wide angl...   Mar 22 2007, 01:41 PM
|- - ustrax   QUOTE (slinted @ Mar 22 2007, 01:41 PM) T...   Mar 22 2007, 02:04 PM
|- - Steve   QUOTE (slinted @ Mar 22 2007, 08:41 AM) A...   Mar 24 2007, 05:56 PM
- - MarsIsImportant   Wow! It's pretty clear in my mind that ...   Mar 22 2007, 02:57 PM
- - CosmicRocker   Whoa! I don't think I fully appreciated t...   Mar 23 2007, 05:49 AM
- - CosmicRocker   Emily: That was a very nicely done blog entry on ...   Mar 24 2007, 05:36 AM
- - elakdawalla   My very basic understanding is that the dark stuff...   Mar 24 2007, 06:29 PM
|- - ustrax   Some Deuteronilus Mensae goodies...   May 21 2007, 10:16 AM
- - djellison   At the HRSCView site, they now have a downloadable...   Jan 1 2008, 04:41 PM
- - djellison   Lady's and Gentlemen....bingo. Emily was kind...   Jan 4 2008, 11:22 PM
- - lyford   Um, OMG?!?!?!? It's like UMSF is...   Jan 5 2008, 12:32 AM
- - Stu   Wow Doug, I genuinely felt a shiver run up my spin...   Jan 5 2008, 08:08 AM
- - djellison   Not sure on the vert exag myself with these yet. ...   Jan 5 2008, 01:34 PM
- - djellison   Low res ( 3 meg) and High Res ( 9 meg ) available ...   Jan 5 2008, 03:00 PM
|- - RJG   Great stuff, Doug! The hi res runs perfectly o...   Jan 5 2008, 03:23 PM
- - djellison   That's the challenge, the data is taken in rib...   Jan 5 2008, 03:49 PM
|- - OWW   QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 5 2008, 04:49 PM) ...   Jan 5 2008, 11:56 PM
- - climber   Whouaouh ! Father Christmass is late, but what...   Jan 5 2008, 09:28 PM
- - nprev   The high-res didn't work for me (got a plug-in...   Jan 6 2008, 12:02 AM
- - djellison   Hmm - what you using to play it? You'll need ...   Jan 6 2008, 12:22 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.